Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
Rochard said:
Don't judge someone by the car they drive.

I completely agree with this statement. Many people are "hood rich", and dont have any money.

Rochard said:
Most millionaires drive Hondas.
I don't agree with that. If this statement were true, exotic cars would not exist. You have to have some dough in order to buy or lease one. Most $200K+ cars are owned by millionaires. Most millionaires are new money, and they spend money unwisely (ie. cars). Old money people tend to drive older cars, or are driven. It really comes down to if they are car enthusiasts or not. If you are, you will have a nice car whether you are millionaire or not, as long as you can afford it.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Rochard said:
Don't judge someone by the car they drive. Most millionaires drive Hondas.
Well obviously millionaires drive "normal" cars. But the best post in this thread, imo of course, was from the guy I quoted. And "coincidently" he drives a $150,000+ car. Let's face it, you have to make good money to be able to afford that type of car. I don't see how anyone can debate that.

I guess what you are trying to say is someone can make good money and have nice things that make them look like they have money, but yet they are up to their eyeballs in debt. And alot of people that really do have money, you couldn't tell by looking at their house or car.

Different strokes for different folks.

Btw, a guy that has an office in the same building I'm in sold his business for $61,000,000 and he still drives a beat up old pickup truck. And he bought a USED Mercedes off of ebay. And still works everyday.

Rochard said:
I make more money than your two good friends, your brother in law, and your other guy combined yet I drive a 2004 Cobra.
You are also in CA where living expenses are higher. So in some cases just because you make more doesn't mean anything.

Btw, I didn't mention all of the other investments they have. Which bring in another six figures a year.

Either way, you are obviously doing something very successfully and make what would be a TON of money in ANY part of the country, CA or not. Congrats!! :beer:

Rochard said:
But your advice at the very end was right on. I'll repeat it again in case anyone missed it:

....pick a niche, learn everything you can about it, become the expert, start the business, and dominate the market....
If you don't mind, shoot me a PM. I'm curious as to what you're doing. I am going to guess and say it has something to do with my statement above....seems obvious that you are a business owner of some type of niche. Again, congrats to you!

:beer:

jasil

Established Member
My wife and I both have very relevant experience here. I am a self taught, work your way up, hard work pays off blue collar worker that makes 60k-65k a year. I have very little upside potential except for cost of living raises and my skills don't allow me to job hop very easily. Which means I'm stuck where I live until my skills increase.

My wife *WAS* in the exact same boat. 8yrs ago we had the talk and decided something had to change. That change was her going back to college. She is now a RN doing occ. health at a Fortune 500 company making more than me with much more upside potential and her resume looks a hell of alot better too.

If I went back to school it would be for EE because that is the field I'm in anyway. I'm also 100% for finding a job you love vs the $$$$.

DravenGSX

Established Member
I make >50k without a college degree.. 27 and a Systems Administrator for a big local telephone company. I started in IT when I was 15 though so I have experience to back it up.

That said, I wish I had finished school.

D19

Established Member
I make well over 50k a year and I do not have a degree. I do however graduate in May with my BS in MIS.

I am an Oracle Applications Developer. I write Oracle payroll applications and interfaces into our Oracle database from various Ppoint of sales systems.

Last edited:

Steeltwo

Established Member
just to add a little bit.

there is a lazy ass who works here that makes 58K+ per year w/o a degree. Might not seem like alot, but when the average household income in this area is 32k, it is.

Users who are viewing this thread