Anyone used a spec 5 Clutch?

davidsk5018

Established Member
I have a RAM 900 series that just isn't holding the power anymore, and I need to move up to something that is going to hold the power, lots of power. Specifically, 800-850 ft-lbs of torque off the line at 6000 RPM. I am trying to decide between a Spec 5 and the RAM twin disk clutch. The RAM is about $1,000 and the Spec is $450. The car is driven 85% on the track, and has a cage/coilovers so isn't driven much on the street except for fun (once a week or so).

Just wondering if I should try the spec 5, because after all, it is less than 1/2 the price, or go for the easier to drive, but more expensive RAM. Or, anyone else have any other suggestions? Thanks

davidsk5018

Established Member
just thought I would update because no one has used this clutch apparently. Its a full race clutch and decided to go with a twin disk for the street. More expensive, but better.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
davidsk5018 said:
just thought I would update because no one has used this clutch apparently. Its a full race clutch and decided to go with a twin disk for the street. More expensive, but better.

Let me know what you think of the twin disk. I'm thinking about one,too as Exedy, Ram and Mcleod all have twins now. The Ram is the most enticing as it's the least expensive I have found. I figure this will get me the light pedal I want while being capable of handling massive power.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Vector has been running a SPEC5 and he was the first Whipple in the 10's :beer:

they make a loud chirp/squeak every time they engage...

davidsk5018

Established Member
i will let you know. I am going with the RAM because the 900 held very well even when the power was much more than it was rated for.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
davidsk5018 said:
i will let you know. I am going with the RAM because the 900 held very well even when the power was much more than it was rated for.

Cool. I'm anxious to hear your opinion. Are you getting the alum flywheel version or the steel flywheel version? When my time comes, I'm going with the alum flywheel to try to retain the free revving nature of the stock motor/clutch setup. I'm mainly concerned with getting a high power clutch that doesn't have the on/off nature of some high power clutches on the market as I regularly drive my car on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread