Anyone using a space heater in their garage?

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I used a propane torpedo heater in a well insulated garage an it gave me a headache that lasted 24 hours. I was effectively giving myself carbon monoxide poisoning. The same heater in a poorly insulated garage could be run for hours and no ill effect.

I decided I was tired of headaches. So I installed a wood burning stove. Takes 30 minutes to get the garage to 70 from 30. It's a large two car garage and is well insulated.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    643.2 KB · Views: 120

GTCobraClone

Established Member
I used a propane torpedo heater in a well insulated garage an it gave me a headache that lasted 24 hours. I was effectively giving myself carbon monoxide poisoning. The same heater in a poorly insulated garage could be run for hours and no ill effect.

I decided I was tired of headaches. So I installed a wood burning stove. Takes 30 minutes to get the garage to 70 from 30. It's a large two car garage and is well insulated.

How much did you pay for the stove?

I have a window, basically like the one in the previous posts that I could vent the stove out off. I'm actually liking this idea since it saves me the fumes.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
How much did you pay for the stove?

I have a window, basically like the one in the previous posts that I could vent the stove out off. I'm actually liking this idea since it saves me the fumes.
Paid $150. Just watch Craigslist. When I got it, it was rusty. 10 minutes with a wire wheel and a little paint: good as new.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I don't have a model number , or even the brand off hand .
But I picked up a used wall or ceiling mount natural gas unit .
It can be rejetted to run off propane , which is what I did ,since we don't have gas out here in the forest.
The fact that it heats the air up top first , is a factor in efficiency.
You can aim it to an angle that is comfortable for the direct blast , while still heating the rest of the area.
It helps that I insulated my concrete floor before I poured it , and all walls and door are also insulated .
I still use a nice large piece of carpet on the floor , helps to cushion my knees , when I am working on the floor for long periods .
This has a fan and thermostat , keeps it warm ,which cost less than heating it up from cold , and is pretty quiet .
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749

This is what I am talking about, and it is available from northern tools .

Last edited:

hoamskilet

Established Member
I don't have a model number , or even the brand off hand .
But I picked up a used wall or ceiling mount natural gas unit .
It can be rejetted to run off propane , which is what I did ,since we don't have gas out here in the forest.
The fact that it heats the air up top first , is a factor in efficiency.
You can aim it to an angle that is comfortable for the direct blast , while still heating the rest of the area.
It helps that I insulated my concrete floor before I poured it , and all walls and door are also insulated .
I still use a nice large piece of carpet on the floor , helps to cushion my knees , when I am working on the floor for long periods .
This has a fan and thermostat , keeps it warm ,which cost less than heating it up from cold , and is pretty quiet .
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749

This is what I am talking about, and it is available from northern tools .

i'm dying to get one like this

RX1Cobra

Established Member
20lb. I did some quick looking around yesterday to see if I was doing anything wrong and I found a lot of people having the same problems.
I ended up getting one at Menards last night. Most of the negative reviews were people running the 20 pound tanks.

My garage stays pretty warm on its own since its really well insulated. I plan to run on the 1 pound propane tanks and turn it on every hour or so just to warm it up a few degrees. If it doesn't work I'll return it.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I don't know what the deal is with mine. oddly enough a couple days after my original comment I used mine and it worked fine. went out to use it a couple days later and the stupid thing wouldn't work on high....would start going out as soon as i turned the knob past medium. It's frustrating cus it puts out some decent heat when it works

Users who are viewing this thread