API SM/SN certified engine oils, and why NOT to use them.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I just bought and changed to the RedLine 5W50. Reading the bottles that showed up, its labeled as meeting API SM.

Now I am really confused. Did not someone post a VOA for the RedLine showing it had the higher zinc levels of SL oils? Something does not add up.

I believe the oil analysis more than the label but what gives?

Because technically, it's not certified by the API, but because the NOACK Volatility is low, it will not contaminate the cats any more than the API SM certified formulations with low ZDDP. Therefore, it will meet the requirements, and beyond, of API SM.

When the API takes into account NOACK Volatility, all top tier 100% synthetics could pass API SM & SN.

jcthorne

Established Member
Because technically, it's not certified by the API, but because the NOACK Volatility is low, it will not contaminate the cats any more than the API SM certified formulations with low ZDDP. Therefore, it will meet the requirements, and beyond, of API SM.

When the API takes into account NOACK Volatility, all top tier 100% synthetics could pass API SM & SN.

Thanks, that make sense.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So if ZDDP is the big issues here, can you add it to the MC 5w-50 oil or whatever brand and be good to go?

East wood sells it.
Eastwood Company: Search Results for zddp

Because you would still have the shearing problem of the FoMoCo formulation.

I've said it a million times, if you have to add anything to the oil to make it work for your application, you chose the wrong lubricant.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
How many miles would you guess that it takes the ford 5w-50 to start to shear to a lighter weight? Or does it really depend on the warm up times, driving style?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
How many miles would you guess that it takes the ford 5w-50 to start to shear to a lighter weight? Or does it really depend on the warm up times, driving style?

Every sample I have seen taken at 2,000 miles was already a 40 weight. One sample at 6,000 miles was a 30 weight.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Ok that does it...I just put some Advance Auto Parts oil in my car and I'm going to race it this Sat and see if it blows up. :pepper:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Ya know, the only guys who really ever attack AMSOIL are the Mobil 1 fan boys. Guess they are mad that their trophy horse company cheaped out and began using group III base stocks. If I was in that boat, I wouldn't be mad...I would switch to something that was group IV, based on an API SL or SJ, and get over it.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Oil Analyzers Inc. " Professional oil analysis services may be purchased by calling AMSOIL Inc. at (800) 956-5695"

Yes Genius its my oil sample I am a Amsoil Dealer why wouldn't I sell my self the kit?
:shrug:

Did you miss this the 1st time around?

Oil Analyzers IS Polaris labs, which sells private lab testing to companies , lets see if anybody you have heard of is trusting their services...

Brand Your Own Fluid Analysis Program
Private Label Programs are designed to help original equipment manufacturers (OEM's), distributors, oil companies, and marketers increase profits and build goodwill with customers. From small businesses to Fortune 500 corporations, POLARIS Laboratories™ has been entrusted with providing value-added fluid analysis services branded under their own product lines.

tests.jpg

Read

Fleet Engine Fluid Analysis Service: Oil Analysis, Coolant Analysis, Fuel Analysis and Synthetic Motor Oil Testing Plans

Last edited:

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
All the arguing and BS.... All I'm getting out of this thread is to find an oil that doesn't make your car go

Blap blap blap

RedlineHP

Established Member
This post has stuck with me about the MC 5-50 oil since Dan posted it,
(I hope he does not mined I copied & reposted it)
I think most will agree he is one of the most knowledgeable people on the 5.4 mod motors.
just food for thought...

Dan Schoneck
Crazy SVT Poster

0.65 per day
Trader Rating: (11) Quote:
Originally Posted by stkjock
Shell Rotella 15w40 IIRC on the weight at the builders suggestion

THE BUILDER IS A IDIOT!!!!!!!! These motors are desingned for the 5-50 just like the ford gt supercar, RUN NOTHING ELSE PERIOD. I had a simular thing happen breakn in a 5.4 alum motor in my gt500 with the wrong oil, not catastophic like yours but 800 miles and some very unhappy bearings. Not and i mean NOT a good idea. The ford synthetic oil is some bad ass shit. They are very tempramental to the oil used in them unlike a oil pushrod motor where you can run any oil availible to man kind and they dont care. Thats f u c k n diesel oil they had in it. What a bunch of tools.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
These motors are desingned for the 5-50 just like the ford gt supercar, RUN NOTHING ELSE PERIOD.

So, by his testimonial....if you do NOT use 5W-50, your engine will fail.

He's says, "Do NOT use 40 weight oil in this engine"

but in his first sentence, he said to use an oil that quickly shears to a 40 weight.

Does everyone see where I am going with this?

The ford synthetic oil is some bad ass shit.

I strongly disagree, it's mediocre at best, and the UOAs we have seen prove it. The added viscosity improvers quickly shear leaving it a 40 weight after 2,000 miles, and a 30 weight after 6,000 miles.

anyone heard of a GT500 or GT owner destroying their engine using FoMoCo 5W-50 performing the recommending change intervals of 7,500 miles? By his theory, the engine should nuke.....it's only a 30 weight at 6,000 miles.

They are very tempramental to the oil used in them unlike a oil pushrod motor where you can run any oil availible to man kind and they dont care. Thats f u c k n diesel oil they had in it. What a bunch of tools.

The base stock of a diesel lubricant is the same as a gas passenger car oil. The only differences are in the additive pack.

No offense to the guy (engine builder) who posted this, but HE is the uneducated one here.

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
What I am most interested in here is if there is compelling evidence that you can improve on the recommended MC 5w50. In other words, will I have significant wear in my vehicles lifetime or ownership period. I drive appx 6000 miles per year.

If I will have insignificant wear, while sacrificing my cats, then I will stick with the recommended fill. A lot of variables are going to impact the analysis. Pulley, TVS, Whipple, hard driving, climate... Getting a true and accurate read is not a simple matter, I think.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If I will have insignificant wear, while sacrificing my cats, then I will stick with the recommended fill.

Have you not been reading my posts?

You will not harm the catalysts any more with a top tier synthetic like AMSOIL, Royal Purple, or Red Line with high amounts of ZDDP than you will with an API SM rated lube (formulated to be cat friendly).

You need to research NOACK Volatility, or go back and read my posts about it.

and yes....higher amounts of ZDDP will reduce the wear in your engine, no matter if you run it for 500 miles or 5,000 miles before changing the oil.

apexchain

Established Member
Currently my 410 Mile 2011 GT500 has the Factory Fill, I added the Red Line ZDDP Engine Oil Additive (Zinc & Phosphorus). Swear that smell of hot metal is gone after running the car in Traffic & I have noticed a significant reduction in heat. When I pop the hood after driving a while I can notice a difference in heat.

What I am most interested in here is if there is compelling evidence that you can improve on the recommended MC 5w50. In other words, will I have significant wear in my vehicles lifetime or ownership period. I drive appx 6000 miles per year.

If I will have insignificant wear, while sacrificing my cats, then I will stick with the recommended fill. A lot of variables are going to impact the analysis. Pulley, TVS, Whipple, hard driving, climate... Getting a true and accurate read is not a simple matter, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread