AR-15 Guidance

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
AR-15 Guidance

I’ve been looking at buying/building an AR-15 for a while now and finally have an excuse to get one.

Problem is…
I know next to nothing about them, and from looking around, it seems like a daunting task to give myself enough information to make, at best, an educated guess. I get the feeling there is some “AR Elitism” when it comes to buying/discussing these guns, so I’d like not to walk into a gun store and sound like a kid picking out his first BB gun. From what I can tell it’s cheaper to build and assemble your own, but I don’t even know where to start. I’ve been an avid hunter all my life so I’ve bought and been around shotguns and rifles, but never an assault style rifle. I’m not too worried about assembling one as long as I have all the correct pieces and it will not require modifications to fit. I figure they can’t be any more difficult than breaking down a semi auto shotgun, but correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ll probably only shoot this gun a few times a year so I don’t need some crazy expensive top of the line setup but I don’t want junk either. I was hoping to have it ready to go to the range for around $1000. (Including optics). Is this possible? The main thing is, I don’t want to go overkill on a gun that wont see much daylight, but I want one that will still be quality when it gets passed on to my children.

I think a gun accurate out to around 300 yards would be PLENTY, because it will typically be used for hunting hogs/coyotes. I may bring it to the range some, but not enough to really matter. I’ve been told to make sure the upper is mil-spec aluminum, and it is classed to shoot BOTH 5.56 and .223 rounds. Other than that, I’m pretty ignorant about the whole setup.

Any ideas/suggestions? Maybe a parts list of a gun you have built with a review? Pics? Should I buy a pre-assembled gun? Websites?

Really, I’m looking for any and all insight at the moment.

Thanks fellas!

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I have finally finished mine, so I can tell you what I learned in the process. I bought a stripped lower receiver (the part of the gun, according to Maryland law, that makes the gun a "gun") in September, last year. I picked up a lower parts kit at a gun show. Put it together like I did my first lego set. :D
Got a 16" carbine length (shroud is nearly the length of the barrel) upper receiver group from Bravo Company for my birthday and finished it off with a buffer tube assembly and stock. Finished it off with an Eotech 552 scope. In terms of cost:
  • Lower Receiver: 150 (you can probably get this for around 75 now, I got raped because MD sucks.)
  • LPK: 65
  • Upper: 750
  • Eotech: 550
  • Buffer Tube Assy: 60
Any instructions you need for assembly are on youtube.

If your needs are distance (300yd) shooting, go with some nicer optics (Leupold, et al) instead of a tactical sight (ACOG/Eotech) and go for a longer barrel (18"+). PSA has good deals, but stay away from PTAC stuff, it tends to be low quality. You can easily find an upper assembly for around 400. Polymer lower receivers are iffy. TNArmsco does make a decent polymer lower for cheap, and the dude is on reddit all the time (/u/tnarmsco).

IMO, the mod bug for guns is worse than wanting to mod a car.

one more before I depart: You can also chamber it for .308 (i.e. get an AR 10 upper), which would give you take down power for those hogs.

Some resources:
ARF.com forums. This is as good as SVTP in terms of wealth of information.
PSA to get good deals on stuff. They have some awesome black Friday/cyber Monday sales going on right now.
AR15 Subreddit

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I know you want to build one but sometimes it's easier to buy a complete one from a good company. I Bought mine from TWS Tactical Weapons Solutions. http://www.twsarms.com/ Base model mil-spec AR's.

I spent about $1100 for the rifle then added a few changes to it. Accurate at 300meter's so far on iron sites. Put about 500 rounds through it this year alone. Never had any issues.

2ce6z2u.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chosyn1

I'm your Huckleberry
Established Member
i was in the same boat 6 months ago OP..i couldn't justify spending a retarded amount on a gun i'm only gonna shoot every so often..i did alot of research and went with a Windham Weaponry m4 src, bushnell red dot, some magpul goodies and 150 rounds of 5.56 and called it a day(around $1100 spent all together), i too wanted something for less than 300 yards and i wanted to stay as lightweight as possible.. me and a couple buddies fired all those rounds and not one misfeed. good luck in your search

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
When it comes to AR's everyone has there own opinions and they feel strongly about them.

I found it best to buy instead of build. Where to look varies with how much you want to spend and what all you are looking for.

Based on your description above I would recommend you look at The Smith and Wesson M&P15 sport. It doesn't have all the bells and whistlers (dust cover) but it is a great entry model that shoots both 5.56 and .223. It has a great barrel 1:8 twist. and is very reasonable. under $600 That will leave you with some extra money for an optic and accessories.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/mp-15-sport-rifle-556-nato-223-remington-61999

When it comes to optics again everyone has an opinion. Myself I prefer something practical with some zoom. I have a Nikon 1X4 on my AR since I use it to shoot prairie dogs, coyotes, Bobcats, Fox's and jack rabbits out at 200+ yards. If you want your AR to be all call of dutied up then get the vertical grip and an eotech/aimpoint. They are great at quickly acquiring targets (unlimited eye relief) but personally I don't care for them when trying to hit small objects at distance. To each his own though.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.

:beer:

97StangSVT

Established Member
Look into Daniel Defense. They make great rifles and can be had new for around $1200 or so. I prefer a mid-length gas system as opposed to a carbine length gas system, but to each their own. The M4V5 is the model that I own. I prefer there not to be an A post. I put Troy flip up sights on it and they are nice. I am looking into an optic now.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
When it comes to AR's everyone has there own opinions and they feel strongly about them.

I found it best to buy instead of build. Where to look varies with how much you want to spend and what all you are looking for.

Based on your description above I would recommend you look at The Smith and Wesson M&P15 sport. It doesn't have all the bells and whistlers (dust cover) but it is a great entry model that shoots both 5.56 and .223. It has a great barrel 1:8 twist. and is very reasonable. under $600 That will leave you with some extra money for an optic and accessories.

When it comes to optics again everyone has an opinion. Myself I prefer something practical with some zoom. I have a Nikon 1X4 on my AR since I use it to shoot prairie dogs, coyotes, Bobcats, Fox's and jack rabbits out at 200+ yards. If you want your AR to be all call of dutied up then get the vertical grip and an eotech/aimpoint. They are great at quickly acquiring targets (unlimited eye relief) but personally I don't care for them when trying to hit small objects at distance. To each his own though.

^^ I'm with him.
Except I went a little more with the M&P15 Tactical
For the limited type and amount of plinking I do it works just fine.
It should be good easily out to 200+ with good ammo.

I ended up upgrading the stock and grip but it is not necessary.

Of course I'm a rookie when it comes to this compared to some of these guys.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member

Rodney,

I'm with Matt on this one. Yes there are AR snobs, but you are just getting into it so f those guys. For an occasional plinker, it's hard to beat the S&W sport right now. It provides an excellent entry level value into the market. And if you find you want to branch out, you can always sell it and upgrade.

Assembling one isn't difficult at all with a few simple tools (some of which are AR specific so you'd need to buy them) and a vice. If you want to go that route, shoot me a PM and I can help you along.

And welcome to the club.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Thanks for all the info fellas. I've been piddling around the internet all day looking up some of the rifles mentioned.
S&W sport looks like it would be a great beginner gun, but I think I'm prepared to spend a little more then that.
I'm in the frame of mind that once I buy a gun it will be with me until I can give it to my children, so I'd rather spend a little more and be happy with it for the rest of my life.

One gun that keeps drawing my attention is the COLT LE6920 AR15 M4 CARBINE. It looks like I can get it for around $1000, so that would just leave me to pick up some optics. Anyone used/been around the Colt?

Thanks again!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Rainier Arms www.rainierarms.com is local to me and they are a large and growing retailer. You can look on there and basically everything they sell is of quality. So you can basically shop by price and build or buy what you want knowing it's a good piece. The rifle I just bought from my friend was pieced together from them and it's a sweet rifle! There's plenty of retailers like this but this is one I'd recommend to start with to find good stuff. Also, the owner has an R8 V10 and two 911 Turbos and they are all really cool guys.

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
My vote is for a bravocompany midlength gas system uppered AR. Or LMT. Midlength is the way to go though, only time I would say go carbine is if you are building a short barreled rifle/ AR pistol.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member

+2 On the M+P 15 Sport

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Bought my first one complete as I was in the same boat. Never messed with the AR platform much. This last one, I built. I will never buy a complete gun again unless it's a smoking deal. I have so much more joy with the one I've built vs bought. I cerakoted and did my own mods and spent about the same amount as buying a complete. Only difference is, everything is what I wanted. No swapping stuff around. I say buy your first for sure OP. After that, build :beer:

Next on the bucket list, AR-10. Can't wait for Christmas to be gone :D

Machdup1

Established Member
For a hunting rifle, I would go with a White Oak Varmint or Compass Lake varmint upper, build a lower with a nice trigger and stock and then top it with a decent scope and rings. It will be accurate out to 600 yards and will be a ton of fun at a normal 100 yard range.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I was in the same boat. I went on Daniel Defense's build a gun site and went to town on it. Sure i dont need a 2k ar, but it sure looks pretty. Then the best part is i can read how people can build better for cheaper. Always entertaining.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
An AR for $1,000...

I'd have to agree with the Smith and Wesson guys above. I've heard great things. They even come with some nice triggers now a days.

That being said, have you considered a Kalashnikov platform? I'd personally take a VEPR Tactical over an AR for that price range. That is, unless you get into the piston-driven AR platforms. Then you're talking about money though...

If I were to get into it, I would build one. There are some great aftermarket parts for these rifles that the stock ones just don't come with. Spikes buffer tubes, Geiselle triggers, BCM handles, accurized barrels, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread