Are there any runners in here??

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Accountability running log.,.,.,.,
I have run for exercise for about a year (3-5 miles per run),., but I have decided to up the ante, and train for a half marathon.,. Thurs I ran 7.3 miles and Sun morning I ran 12.1 .,., I would have kept going but I wound up at my house and I had to pee,., so I figured it was a good time to stop lol.,., but only after I ran the 12 did I realize I didn't eat right the night before as far as fuel is concerned. I am not sure what is recommended., although I figure carbs would be right.

So now that I know I can run non stop for 12,., does that mean run a full marathon or is it something that truly does require training up to?? :shrug:

I know this site if full up bodybuilders who date models:poke: but I wasn't sure how many runners we have.,., any help or input would be great :-D

Rob

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Start with a mini and see how you do. Twice that will be very hard for your body to handle. Really, really hard to handle and recover from. If your muscles aren't used to it and you attempt it you could easily hurt yourself. I pushed myself way to far once and now I have to deal with a bad i/t band the rest of my life. It shrank so far it sounded as if I had torn cartilage in my knee. I'm tight anyways and it's never been the same since.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
i/t :shrug: .,., yeah I don't wan't to hurt myself.,., is there a specific diet I need to start for when I plan a long run? thanks for the info,.., I hope I didn't do too much as it is :eek:.,., again, thanks

hoamskilet

Established Member
I wouldn't call myself a "runner" at this point in my life, but I was involved in track for many many years when I was younger and am getting back into it now. I need to get back into shape and lose about 20 lbs. so myself and a few of my buddies signed up for the warrior dash in june as motivation. Just my opinion, but there's no way I'd go for a full blown marathon without doing a half 1st.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
That doesn't sound good at all :nonono: I am taking a day or so off for sure, cause I am fairly sore from the waist down lol.,., but not as bad as I thought I would be :thumbsup: maybe for exercise I will stick to a 7-10 mile path.,,.with an occasional 12 idk I think I could do a half when ever one comes around,., I may find one a sign up :)

eclipsemustang

Established Member
I would say it all depends on how far away the marathon is. When training for a marathon I was taught to do about 3 intermediate length runs a week like about 3-5 miles, then end the week with a long run, and keep building up the distance of that long run. so week 1 do 7 miles, then the next week maybe do 9. You don't have to add miles every week but you should be able to run about 20-22 miles 2-3 weeks prior to the marathon. (only 8-10 more miles for you) Make sure you are getting enough fluids, and as long as this isn't some type of weight loss routine you probably are going to need to be eating more to replace the lost calories to help keep your energy levels up, of course you'll want to keep your macros still in the proper range. Also GU gel packs are awesome for long runs

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
From what I read you should eat a shit ton of carbs.
I run some but I hate it. I usually run for time more than a set distance.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I would say it all depends on how far away the marathon is. When training for a marathon I was taught to do about 3 intermediate length runs a week like about 3-5 miles, then end the week with a long run, and keep building up the distance of that long run. so week 1 do 7 miles, then the next week maybe do 9. You don't have to add miles every week but you should be able to run about 20-22 miles 2-3 weeks prior to the marathon. (only 8-10 more miles for you) Make sure you are getting enough fluids, and as long as this isn't some type of weight loss routine you probably are going to need to be eating more to replace the lost calories to help keep your energy levels up, of course you'll want to keep your macros still in the proper range. Also GU gel packs are awesome for long runs

Good info, is 3-4 times a week a good schedule to run.,,. ei: about every other day kinda thing.,., I would like to loose @ 10-15 lbs.,., and yes, I had one gu 20min before my run and one an hour into it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

eclipsemustang

Established Member
Since you said you already are a runner I would say 3-4 times would be ok for you, just make sure you're getting enough rest and fluid. Also making sure not too push yourself through any kind of pain or injury. As for the weight, there are a lot of factors in losing weight. I would say if this is more running then you normally do this will probably be enough to burn off 10lbs. but losing weight is all about calorie deficit.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Good point.,,. and the only pain I had sun was more of a muscle cramp in a calf lol but I wouldn't even call it pain, more of a discomfort., that's why I kept going :-D
Thanks for all the feed back

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

CSD

Banned
I run 8-10 miles every summer-every day, and can't lose a lb.

What's your diet like? Do you do any weight training or other forms of cardio?

As for this thread, I run 3 days a week. Sometimes I go 2-3 miles straight, sometimes I do sprint intervals to burn fat. No marathon runner here. The most I ran without stopping was 6 miles in the academy. My body is not built for marathons, too much muscle.

On a side note, posi.. your sig is too small brother. You should increase the font size and add more text. :beer:

MissGT23

Established Member
What's your diet like? Do you do any weight training or other forms of cardio?

As for this thread, I run 3 days a week. Sometimes I go 2-3 miles straight, sometimes I do sprint intervals to burn fat. No marathon runner here. The most I ran without stopping was 6 miles in the academy. My body is not built for marathons, too much muscle.

On a side note, posi.. your sig is too small brother. You should increase the font size and add more text. :beer:

During summer time I only run. Up the hill, down the hill, at college up/down bleachers(sp?)
Now I do cardio on eliptical machine. Diet, I have no clue what to try anymore.. I have tried eating less,(800 cals) and I have tried eating more(1200 cals). And I do eat healthy. I am very picky eater.
I have also seen my family Dr. he was gonna put me on diet pills but I really did not feel like paying $200, but he could not give me anything else, he told me I was not heavy enough to take any pills.
I have lost 20lbs 2yrs ago, and I am stuck!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've been running since 2000. I started running as rehab for a heart attack I had in November of 1999. I've run three half-marathons, many 5ks (3.1 miles), 5 milers, 10 milers and 12 milers. Here is how I train for a half marathon. I first set up a training calendar of 4-5 months depending on where I am starting from, miles wise. I also mix some cross training like bike riding. A week's schedule consists of 5 days out of 7. My long run is always Saturday and occasionally Sunday. I usually have rest days on Sunday and Thursday. My goal is to get to the 14 mile run two or three weeks before the actual half marathon. I sometimes rest for much of the week before the race. IMO the most important thing is to not push your body (muscles, cartilage) too fast but rather work up to your mile goal gradually. Especially if your body isn't accustomed to running those higher mileage races. Best of luck with your training. I will be training for a half marathon myself in another month once the roads are cleaned around here.

Oh, and here is another reason for not pushing your body too fast, like jumping from 5-6 miles to 12 miles unless you're a regular runner who varies his miles. If you strain a muscle or cartilage, you will have to stop your training to let the injury heal. That could jeopardize your being properly ready for the race. Be sure to include regular strength training, stretching and proper diet. Again, best of luck!! :)

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Ultra marathon runner here. Currently training to go rim to rim at the Grand Canyon by this time next year. My goal is to complete the run in under 20 hours. The distance will be about 42 miles with some wicked elevation change. This Sunday I'm shooting for a 35 miler on a flat course.

The key is to set a realistic goal to train up for at a pace that is comfortable and safe for your body. OP you ran a 12 miler, so obviously 13.1 is a given. You could train for a full marathon and it won't take you very long from where you are now. There are plenty of training plans designed to take you all the way to a full marathon. I highly suggest doing a Google search on marathon training plans and find one that works for you. If you can do a half now it would probably take you about 9-12 weeks to train up to full.

The biggest thing is listening to your body and knowing when to back off and take a day or several days of rest. Plan ahead and give yourself enough time to train for the event. As for what to eat, carbs are my best friend. 2 days before a really long run or a really serious training day I start to caro load. Pasta and brown rice the days leading up to the run and typically oatmeal and a banana the day of. The gel packs and the gummy blocks are pretty nice to have during the run as is normal solid food, but that takes some practice and getting used to.

CSD

Banned
During summer time I only run. Up the hill, down the hill, at college up/down bleachers(sp?)
Now I do cardio on eliptical machine. Diet, I have no clue what to try anymore.. I have tried eating less,(800 cals) and I have tried eating more(1200 cals). And I do eat healthy. I am very picky eater.
I have also seen my family Dr. he was gonna put me on diet pills but I really did not feel like paying $200, but he could not give me anything else, he told me I was not heavy enough to take any pills.

If you mind me asking, what is your height/weight? Eating less will not help as your metabolism will slow down.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member

eat less move more basically

[ame=http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741]How to lose fat for Noobs - Part II - Bodybuilding.com Forums[/ame]

you don't need to go crazy with a diet unless you're a Bodybuilder prepping for a show. the normal dude doesn't need to get OCD on this stuff its pretty simple really

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Ultra marathon runner here. Currently training to go rim to rim at the Grand Canyon by this time next year. My goal is to complete the run in under 20 hours. The distance will be about 42 miles with some wicked elevation change. This Sunday I'm shooting for a 35 miler on a flat course.

The key is to set a realistic goal to train up for at a pace that is comfortable and safe for your body. OP you ran a 12 miler, so obviously 13.1 is a given. You could train for a full marathon and it won't take you very long from where you are now. There are plenty of training plans designed to take you all the way to a full marathon. I highly suggest doing a Google search on marathon training plans and find one that works for you. If you can do a half now it would probably take you about 9-12 weeks to train up to full.

The biggest thing is listening to your body and knowing when to back off and take a day or several days of rest. Plan ahead and give yourself enough time to train for the event. As for what to eat, carbs are my best friend. 2 days before a really long run or a really serious training day I start to caro load. Pasta and brown ricie the days leading up to the run and typically oatmeal and a banana the day of. The gel packs and the gummy blocks are pretty nice to have during the run as is normal solid food, but that takes some practice and getting used to.

^^^This. Also if you have a Running Room nearby they do training runs that can be helpful. Plus having an experienced runner set a pace can help prevent you from coming out of the gate too fast and running out of steam.

Don't forget the Imodium the night before your race. Nerves and pushing yourself can have some unpleasant effects on the bowels.

My wife runs marathons, what a time commitment the training takes. All my neighboors keep asking me if I've figured out what she is running from :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread