battery relocation...

96snake719

Established Member
Ok so Im just wondering how you guys have your batt relocations hooked up. I simply have the power wire going to the starter, and the ground going to the block. Is there a better or right way of doing this? I keep wondering if this is causing some of my issues. Thanks guys

White96svt

Established Member
Yes that isn't the safest way. There is no real safety from a short using that method. It's also not acceptable if taking the car to a track that actually inspects. Here is a diagram of how my car is wired. Call it over kill bit it's the safest way and will pass tech inspections. Feel free to view photos how I did my relocation, I've got more pics than what's uploaded to that album. Let me know if you have any questions. :beer:
Vortech V1 S Trim pictures by beaner48073 - Photobucket

batteryrelocation.jpg

96snake719

Established Member
awsome! thanks for that! I noticed you had a wire going from the alternator back to the positive on the batt? can you explain the purpose of that. Thanks again!

White96svt

Established Member
When you have a master disconnect switch, you have to disconnect power to the entire car without isolating the alternator from the battery. If that circuit gets interrupted, the alternator can spike voltage and fry your pcm and other electrical components. Wiring the alternator the way I did allows for the power to be killed and keeps the alternator voltage discharging through the battery.

shurur

Established Member
When you have a master disconnect switch, you have to disconnect power to the entire car without isolating the alternator from the battery. If that circuit gets interrupted, the alternator can spike voltage and fry your pcm and other electrical components. Wiring the alternator the way I did allows for the power to be killed and keeps the alternator voltage discharging through the battery.

Hey White96svt,
Was this diagram yours? I ask because I saved the same one off the net a while ago. There's a thread with this somewhere in another mustang forum..

White96svt

Established Member
Hey White96svt,
Was this diagram yours? I ask because I saved the same one off the net a while ago. There's a thread with this somewhere in another mustang forum..

No it's not mine. I don't remember where it came from but I've posted it a few times in the past on here and corral, you may have seen one of those posts. My car is wired almost to a T the way the diagram is.

96snake719

Established Member
I dont drag race the car its just a street car, and I know technically it would be safer to do it the way you have it but if I were to leave it the way it is now do I still need a wire from the alt. to the batt? wouldnt the existing wire that bolts to the alt. from the harness be the same thing?

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
No it's not mine. I don't remember where it came from but I've posted it a few times in the past on here and corral, you may have seen one of those posts. My car is wired almost to a T the way the diagram is.

There was another one called the (non-race?) version. NO shutoff switch..maybe the relay..alt run through the front fusebox...kinda the low budget DD version..Do you happen to have that? I lost my bookmarks when my HD died recently. Just asking.

Last edited:

White96svt

Established Member
I dont drag race the car its just a street car, and I know technically it would be safer to do it the way you have it but if I were to leave it the way it is now do I still need a wire from the alt. to the batt? wouldnt the existing wire that bolts to the alt. from the harness be the same thing?

You could leave it that way. The only reason for the alternator wire back to the battery is for when the master cutoff switch is used. It keeps the alternator and battery connected to allow the voltage to discharge without creating a spike.

There was another one called the (non-race?) version. NO shutoff switch..maybe the relay..alt run through the front fusebox...kinda the low budget DD version..Do you happen to have that? I lost my bookmarks when my HD died recently. Just asking.

No I don't have nor have I ever seen that other version. Sorry.

96snake719

Established Member
You could leave it that way. The only reason for the alternator wire back to the battery is for when the master cutoff switch is used. It keeps the alternator and battery connected to allow the voltage to discharge without creating a spike.

Ok cool so no cutoff switch, no wire to alternator got it thanks! If I wanna run a cutoff it goes between the wire from the batt to the alt.

Users who are viewing this thread