Battery Storage?

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Ok, I know you guys are gonna think I'm nuts (and you are half right, i'm sure), but it is finally time to replace my original battery. Now my "dilema" is that I want to keep my original battery...for *cough* collectibility *coughcough* reasons.

What would be the best way to save / store it, knowing that it won't ever actually be used for power again (but possibly for show)?

Thanks in advance, and I've got my fire extinguisher standing by...

cdh027

Established Member
Just buy the exact factory Ford replacement and recycle the original. There is no reason to save it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Could you possibly expand on the possible reasons for wanting to keep your old battery again, I thought I read something about collector value or something silly like that.

It's probably just my old eyes playing tricks on me.

Last edited:

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
I wonder if you could take a new battery, take the guts out of it, and transplant it in the old battery case.

dom418

Established Member
Isn't the battery you can buy from Ford now the exact one that came with our cars? I wouldn't think you would be able to tell the difference

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Welcome to maxchoose.com-Blu-Ray Players, Camcorders, Cell Phones, Flash Memory, Gps Navigation, Laptops/Notebooks, Mp3 Players, Netbooks, PDAs and Handheld PCs, Televisions, Video Games and so on are wholesaled in our online shop. Our Consumer Electronics and Accessories are all Supplied from Leading Manufacturers, and our Drop Shipped products are of the highest quality. Hope to have your orders.

Thanks lajoor855! I'm going with your suggestion!

But seriously, yeah ~ some sort of collector value. Silly, I know. But then people said the same thing about those old Cobra Jet Mach 1's.

I did get a new motorcraft battery and did NOT save the old one.

However, the replacement batteries are not the same as the factory originals despite having the same part number. Factory battery has the built in hydrometer floats / indicator, while the replacements do not. As well as other differences in markings / labels and whatnot.

I'm sure in 20 years people will be paying $2k for factory batteries to put into thier restored '03 cobras. Don't think so? Check the crazy prices they are paying for OEM / NOS exhaust for a '93 cobra!

Thanks for the input from everyone though - positive or otherwise :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks lajoor855! I'm going with your suggestion!

But seriously, yeah ~ some sort of collector value. Silly, I know. But then people said the same thing about those old Cobra Jet Mach 1's.

I did get a new motorcraft battery and did NOT save the old one.

However, the replacement batteries are not the same as the factory originals despite having the same part number. Factory battery has the built in hydrometer floats / indicator, while the replacements do not. As well as other differences in markings / labels and whatnot.

I'm sure in 20 years people will be paying $2k for factory batteries to put into thier restored '03 cobras. Don't think so? Check the crazy prices they are paying for OEM / NOS exhaust for a '93 cobra!

Thanks for the input from everyone though - positive or otherwise :beer:

I can see exhaust,(I have mine in my garage attic) not batteries. Exhaust doesn't Sulfate, and become worthless.

When you see Collector cars with original batteries unless the car was trailered in and pushed into position(because it won't start) it is going to be equipped with a reproduction battery that LOOKS like original.

There are companies that cut them apart and save the old 60s and older vintage rubber cases(which are out of production) and put in new guts with repro new stickers.

I will be shocked if I ever live long enough to see that happen on our Terminators, it would be too easy to just manufacture a new reproduction PLASTIC case battery that looked like an OE Mustang battery.

There simply won't be a need for rebuilding plastic case batteries because of a case design going out of production, I don't think.

What would they change it to if they do? What beats out plastic for that app?

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Isn't the battery you can buy from Ford now the exact one that came with our cars? I wouldn't think you would be able to tell the difference

yes 7 yrs later the battery still has a black case w/ red motorcraft sticker. Best battery on the market Imo and ford backs it up w/ a 84 month pro-rated warranty ( 3 yrs free replacement ) I'm still on my original battery in my 0

Users who are viewing this thread