Beginner DSLR camera

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
This is insane. I have no idea where to start I tried shooting in manual mode and playing around with some exposure and ISO settings. because I dont want to flash my 2 week old in the face and there is not a whole lot of light in the room daytime and it comes out on the camera as a black image.
I got a PNY class 10 16gb card now just have to figure out to shoot in RAW format

I have not seen the 3100 yet BUT I am going to assume it is similar to the D70s I have as far as the menus and stuff goes. What I would suggest you do is shoot in NEF + JPEG mode. Nef = RAW. if you do both you can look at the images right away as JPEGs and then process the RAW versions.

I would also suggest you get something and put it on the floor on a baby blanket and practice. Take at least 3 pictures of the same thing one apature priority, one shutter priority, and one on auto mode. then compare the 3 on your computer and make notes of what you should try with the next one. The coold thing about digital is that you don't run out of film LOL!

you should propbably look at a shoe flash as well Nikon makes a SB600, SB800 and SB900. I have the SB600 and it does what I need it to. I bought it because it was cheaper than the SB800 and the 900 hadn't been released yet. but the light can be angled up or down which is good for keeping reflections out of glass and lights out of the babies eyes. I practiced some with the apature and shutter priority when the grandbaby was asleep:
th_48605603.jpg

th_1010c3bc.jpg

I just set the camera down on the floor and adjusted between shots

th_d0f2994e.jpg

th_1ad481e7.jpg

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
I have not seen the 3100 yet BUT I am going to assume it is similar to the D70s I have as far as the menus and stuff goes. What I would suggest you do is shoot in NEF + JPEG mode. Nef = RAW. if you do both you can look at the images right away as JPEGs and then process the RAW versions.

I would also suggest you get something and put it on the floor on a baby blanket and practice. Take at least 3 pictures of the same thing one apature priority, one shutter priority, and one on auto mode. then compare the 3 on your computer and make notes of what you should try with the next one. The coold thing about digital is that you don't run out of film LOL!

you should propbably look at a shoe flash as well Nikon makes a SB600, SB800 and SB900. I have the SB600 and it does what I need it to. I bought it because it was cheaper than the SB800 and the 900 hadn't been released yet. but the light can be angled up or down which is good for keeping reflections out of glass and lights out of the babies eyes. I practiced some with the apature and shutter priority when the grandbaby was asleep:
]

I'm glad my camera isn't as troublesome to set up. Although I miss reviewing each shot afterwords.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
This is insane. I have no idea where to start I tried shooting in manual mode and playing around with some exposure and ISO settings. because I dont want to flash my 2 week old in the face and there is not a whole lot of light in the room daytime and it comes out on the camera as a black image.

I got a PNY class 10 16gb card now just have to figure out to shoot in RAW format

Sounds like you had too fast a shutter and too low ISO. For a darker room, try 400-800 ISO and play with the shutter speed to determine what you need for a good picture.

You will have to use the Nikon software (or other photo processing software) to get the most use of a RAW file. You can't just load the RAW file onto a computer like a JPEG unless you have file conversion abilities.

Windows can't even see it as a picture unless you load a program that will let you view a thumbnail at least.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Sounds like you had too fast a shutter and too low ISO. For a darker room, try 400-800 ISO and play with the shutter speed to determine what you need for a good picture.

You will have to use the Nikon software (or other photo processing software) to get the most use of a RAW file. You can't just load the RAW file onto a computer like a JPEG unless you have file conversion abilities.

Windows can't even see it as a picture unless you load a program that will let you view a thumbnail at least.
this is why you shoot RAW + Jpeg. the jpegs will let you get the instant feed back you need and the raw will let you edit to your hearts content when you get back to your desk. and just to be clear RAW + Jpeg does NOT mean taking two shots, one RAW and one JPEG the camera saves each shot in both formats.

I'm glad my camera isn't as troublesome to set up. Although I miss reviewing each shot afterwords.
Actually what I wrote is not to set the camera up, but to set the shooter up. knowing what going up or down an f/stop, up or down an ISO setting, and other things of that nature does to a photo will allow you to do stuff you just can't do with film.

You can do and learn the same things with your film camera but it is 3 or four hours minimum before you see the results and by that time, anything you are shooting is gone.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Is there like a one click method to process images in lightroom or CS5? or do I have to go in the move all the sliders until I get the shot that looks best to me? beacuse I have no idea what looks good. Ive never really used any photoshop programs before

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Is there like a one click method to process images in lightroom or CS5? or do I have to go in the move all the sliders until I get the shot that looks best to me? beacuse I have no idea what looks good. Ive never really used any photoshop programs before
no clue. my next purchases are going to be "CS5 for Dummies" "lightroom for dummies" and "photoshop for dummies". then spend a fair amount of time with them.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member

Yes there is. There is also presets you can download offline. I'll try to remember to post some up here later. I am also a Canon guy and most of the things I've learned I've got from Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin. Here are a couple photos taken with a Canon 60d and only used Lightroom for Editing.

5848949749_90ed30da59.jpg

5997026744_96c9375ac8.jpg

6012947061_795e908cb7.jpg

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member

Absolutley. Photoshop CS5 has a feature called actions. There are plenty of them loaded with the software or though the Adobe Exchange, you can download other users Actions (or other features), install them and there you go...one click processing for features you need.

Adobe Exchange CS5 link

Oh, and what looks good is what YOU think. Others might hate it but if your happy, then thats all that really matters.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
no clue. my next purchases are going to be "CS5 for Dummies" "lightroom for dummies" and "photoshop for dummies". then spend a fair amount of time with them.

I'll hook you up man. Whats your .mil addy and I'll send it to you in the morning from my .mil account.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
Absolutley. Photoshop CS5 has a feature called actions. There are plenty of them loaded with the software or though the Adobe Exchange, you can download other users Actions (or other features), install them and there you go...one click processing for features you need.

Adobe Exchange CS5 link

Oh, and what looks good is what YOU think. Others might hate it but if your happy, then thats all that really matters.

Great where do I find the command at like under what drop down menu? or maybe its because im only using the trial version.

98slowbra

Established Member
I went with Canon, I started out with a Rebel Xt then moved on to the 60D. Here are a few I took with the XT. I like canon and most of the pros I know use canon.
IMG_1397_1.gif

IMG_3415_4.gif

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Great where do I find the command at like under what drop down menu? or maybe its because im only using the trial version.

It's under 'Window' on the top tool bar between 'View' and 'Help' or simply hit 'Alt-F9' and a new window will appear.

Users who are viewing this thread