Belt issue

urmaker45

Established Member
Hey i have 03 cobra 2.8 upper 4lb lower with 100 mm tension idler with the rest stock idlers I have a 77.5 gates belt been through two seems about 3 k they start to squil when I first crank it up and when it gets warm stops I notice some grey dust on bottom of about and in the idler tension pulley so must be slipping how much shorter belt u think I could go with ? 76.5 77? Should I go back with gates or gator back

mrose75

Established Member
I just replaced my Gates with a Gatorback and still have the squealing/whining that fluctuates with the RPMs.... Very freaking annoying. It was good for a couple of trips to and from work (35 miles round trip, give or take) and then the squeal came back. Last summer I'm pretty sure I swapped it back to stockers. Just don't remember what the results were. I'm running a 2.8 RR Ultra Grip upper with 4 piece BF idlers and a 75 inch belt. What gives? OP have you verified the belt size on CobraBob's FAQ page?

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
You must be running the stock Alt. pulley, because I have the same set-up with a 3.2" Alt. pulley & I'm running a 78.5" Gates Belt....Zero issues! Good luck!

urmaker45

Established Member
On metco website the belt reccomendation is 77.5 so I ordered a 77.25 gonna give it a try idk this is frustrating my buddy is going through a similar issue except he is shredding belts when he goes tighter

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
On metco website the belt reccomendation is 77.5 so I ordered a 77.25 gonna give it a try idk this is frustrating my buddy is going through a similar issue except he is shredding belts when he goes tighter

If your buddy is shredding belts, then likely there is a alignment issue. Is he running a aftermarket lower too? Seems alignment problems occur more if running a different lower pulley. Also where is your tensioner mark on your tensioner? I just posted this on another thread, it's a good read and makes sense.

Metco Motorsports

Users who are viewing this thread