Best oil to use?

big_ole_truck

Established Member
Which oil to use seems to bring a lively discussion (an understatement) in other forums too. It makes for an entertaining read at the least.

Anyways, as long as the oil being used meets the vehicle manufacturer's requirement (in this case, FORD), then I'm all for it. If it doesn't explicitly state on the bottle or container it doesn't meet or exceed the specification, I won't use it.

Filters are just as debatable as which oil to use. In this case, I use the manufacturer's filter or the manufacturer's 'recommended' filter.

Carry on.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Well I have a different problem, at least here in OC So Ca. I just came out of a Terminator, where Ford rec. 5W20 or lots used 5W30, no problem, lots of oil choices available. Picked up a new 09 GT500 yesterday, reading up here and other sites. 5W-50 is spec'd...HMM, went to Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Kragen. How many oils did I find in this viscosity??? 0, None. I went to see if they had the 'Rally Mobil 1", didn't have anything in 5w-50. Guess I'll check Wally-world. M.C. Filters are available, same one as the Term. Is 5W-50 Oil normally this hard to find???

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well I have a different problem, at least here in OC So Ca. I just came out of a Terminator, where Ford rec. 5W20 or lots used 5W30, no problem, lots of oil choices available. Picked up a new 09 GT500 yesterday, reading up here and other sites. 5W-50 is spec'd...HMM, went to Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Kragen. How many oils did I find in this viscosity??? 0, None. I went to see if they had the 'Rally Mobil 1", didn't have anything in 5w-50. Guess I'll check Wally-world. M.C. Filters are available, same one as the Term. Is 5W-50 Oil normally this hard to find???

It's very hard to find in ca you either have to go to ford or like me I bought cases on line of what was left of the roush/valvoline 5w 50

jcthorne

Established Member
AutoZone can get both the Motorcraft and the Castrol, usually on a special order basis if you buy a case.

Orielly sells the Castrol but seldom has it in stock.

Advance Auto normally stocks the Castrol and regularly has it on sale for under $5 with a free M1 or PuroGold filter with 5 qts.

Ford dealers sell it and many will match other dealer prices or have club discounts of 20%.

At the moment there are only two vehicles that call for this oil. The Ford GT and the GT500.

bloomy63

Established Member
If I can figure out how to attach pdf's I'll post up my used oil analysis.

Anyone know how to attach it?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I've done enough homework to know I will never buy products from a company that so consistantly markets its products ONLY through SPAM, carnival midway hecklers and pyramid marketing schemes.

So a company that supports the dealers, who have made them the company they are today, should turn their back on the dealers and market to the wholesaler huh, yeah....that's a terrible idea. Completely against the ideals of the owner of AMSOIL. AMSOIL dealers can't open a retail account with any corporation who has in excess of 15 stores. Just a way to protect the dealers who support AMSOIL. You can call it what you will, but their business model has nothing to do with the quality of their product.

Do not compare Amsoil to RedLine and Royal Purple who both have gone to the trouble to compete on a level field, passing API standards (ones that make sense for the intended use of the product) and sales through legit retail channels.

Red Line isn't mainstream either. Royal Purple is, but after your next quote we will touch on this further.

Amsoil's products that are not certified (I never said none of them are) are not because they would not pass in most instances. Yes, the API standards are the minimums for the intended service grades, and the Amsoil product fails at the minimums until they prove otherwise. Ok, guess its easier to come into forums such as this and spout SPAM to market much more inexpensivly than doing things the industry standard way.

So, in your own world, because the top tier products in AMSOIL's line up do not carry the API star burst logo, it can't pass minimum specs? :rolleyes:

Time after time tests have been performed by independent 3rd parties proving AMSOIL far exceeds the "minimum" specs required to pass an industry weak API standard. AMSOIL easily far surpassed the API SL standards, but when the government "EPA" pushed for longer warranty on catalysts, the manufacturers pushed for lower amounts of ZDDP in engine lubricants. The new standard API SM was born, and AMSOIL was NOT the only company to deny reformulation to the newer SM standards. Royal Purple (who you insist is mainstream, and "grown up") also denied reformulation and still remains only API SL rated. I will not repeat why both companies denied a reformulation. Go find my other posts about NOACK volatility for that information.

Neither RedLine nor RP market an oil that meets the Ford spec for the GT500 and will tell you so if you take the time to speak with them. They make great oils for many applications, they just have chosen not to market this one.

Royal Purple, no they don't, but recommend one of their 10W-40 grades to get the job done.

Red Line, yes they do, or their website wouldn't use the spec code for the Ford GT/GT500 approval.

Red Line 5W-50

Seriously man, and please take no offense to this at all, but you know just enough about this subject to give misleading information to people on a forum. If I were in your position, I would not post any more about this topic. Your "homework" as you call it would be graded as a D- at best.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Seriously man, and please take no offense to this at all, but you know just enough about this subject to give misleading information to people on a forum. If I were in your position, I would not post any more about this topic. Your "homework" as you call it would be graded as a D- at best.
:pop::pop::pop:

Last edited:

Daddys GT500

Established Member

WRONG.

If you don't meet the requirements (ie: the recommened oil), you can throw Moss right out the window.

But for all of you who are hoping that the Moss act will save your butts. I hope you have some very good lawyers who work for free. Because I promise you Ford has more lawyers and resources (and more to loose, from any future claims), than any of us do.

Finally, you guys can use yack piss in your engines if you want. Doesn't change my world. I will choose piece of mind over saving a few dollars or using a different oil becuase "i like it"

Daddys GT500

Established Member
5W-50 is spec'd...HMM, went to Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Kragen. How many oils did I find in this viscosity??? 0, None. I went to see if they had the 'Rally Mobil 1", didn't have anything in 5w-50. Guess I'll check Wally-world. M.C. Filters are available, same one as the Term. Is 5W-50 Oil normally this hard to find???

I haven't had any trouble finding it at Autozone at least up here in West L.A

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Made the rounds of the Auto stores again, and found different crews working. Here is what I found in S. OC.
1. Kragen/O'Reilly: No 5W/50 in stock, can order Castrol and Mobil 1, with 24-48 hours notice, $ 7.99 Qt.
2. Autozone: Can order the Castrol 5W/50 with 24-48 hours notice at $ 7.99 Qt.
3. No Advance Auto stores here, they do show the Castrol on their web-site on sale at the stores, but can't order the Oil from the web-site, stores only. Best deal, with Filter if you can find a store
4. Need to find the Motor-craft 5W/50 Full Syn. Walmart maybe??

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So a company that supports the dealers, who have made them the company they are today, should turn their back on the dealers and market to the wholesaler huh, yeah....that's a terrible idea. Completely against the ideals of the owner of AMSOIL. AMSOIL dealers can't open a retail account with any corporation who has in excess of 15 stores. Just a way to protect the dealers who support AMSOIL. You can call it what you will, but their business model has nothing to do with the quality of their product.

Red Line isn't mainstream either. Royal Purple is, but after your next quote we will touch on this further.

So, in your own world, because the top tier products in AMSOIL's line up do not carry the API star burst logo, it can't pass minimum specs? :rolleyes:

Time after time tests have been performed by independent 3rd parties proving AMSOIL far exceeds the "minimum" specs required to pass an industry weak API standard. AMSOIL easily far surpassed the API SL standards, but when the government "EPA" pushed for longer warranty on catalysts, the manufacturers pushed for lower amounts of ZDDP in engine lubricants. The new standard API SM was born, and AMSOIL was NOT the only company to deny reformulation to the newer SM standards. Royal Purple (who you insist is mainstream, and "grown up") also denied reformulation and still remains only API SL rated. I will not repeat why both companies denied a reformulation. Go find my other posts about NOACK volatility for that information.

Royal Purple, no they don't, but recommend one of their 10W-40 grades to get the job done.

Red Line, yes they do, or their website wouldn't use the spec code for the Ford GT/GT500 approval.

Red Line 5W-50

I hope you guys realize what an asset this guy is to this forum!!
This guy is 100% DEAD ON THE MONEY in every post he has made!
I'm not a true oil expert but I have done enough research to know that this guy has done even more!
You can take every single thing he has said in this thread right to the bank!

A friend of mine works for Royal Purple and I communicate with him regularly.
I however don't have a 5.4 like you guys, but I do run open track events with my 4.6 which is a pretty harsh application, I use RP 10w40 street and race mixed 50-50 in an 8.5 quart road race pan with the stock oil cooler.
So far so good with the Ford racing filter and RP.
If I had a GT500 I would probably switch to the top tier Amsoil, especially after reading this thread.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I hope you guys realize what an asset this guy is to this forum!!
This guy is 100% DEAD ON THE MONEY in every post he has made!
I'm not a true oil expert but I have done enough research to know that this guy has done even more!
You can take every single thing he has said in this thread right to the bank!

A friend of mine works for Royal Purple and I communicate with him regularly.
I however don't have a 5.4 like you guys, but I do run open track events with my 4.6 which is a pretty harsh application, I use RP 10w40 street and race mixed 50-50 in an 8.5 quart road race pan with the stock oil cooler.
So far so good with the Ford racing filter and RP.
If I had a GT500 I would probably switch to the top tier Amsoil, especially after reading this thread.

Thanks Jimmy, I appreciate your post. I'm really trying hard to clear up a lot of misinterpretations and mixed information on this forum. So many people make unwise decisions because of hear say, or not having enough knowledge to choose the proper lubricant for their high dollar engines. Glad to have someone like you on my side.

:beer:

Also, I would like to add an interesting read for those who are still non-believers.

Why all AMSOIL lubes are NOT API certified

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If I can figure out how to attach pdf's I'll post up my used oil analysis.

Anyone know how to attach it?

Here, posted it for you.

UOA.gif

What oil were you using? The cSt@ 100*C (13.19) tells me it sheared down, A LOT! Your oil was only a 40 weight when it was sent in for analysis. Fuel dilution wasn't the culprit of that, so I have to blame the formulation itself. This is common in oils that have massive amounts of viscosity improver added to make a group III base stock perform more like a group IV true synthetic.

Looking at the Zinc and Phosphorous (under 800 ppm - @ 3K miles of use) I'm guessing you are using the Ford Motorcraft 5W-50 API SM formulation.

I disagree with Blackstone in only one instance, 262 ppm of silcone...WOW! That's really high. Although, most of that could have been from the assembly process and won't show up in your next UOA. Normal reading here would have been 15 ppm or less, and that's still being conservative.

I can see the iron and copper content being high on a new break in engine, this will also decrease on the next UOA.

I wish you would have paid the extra money to get the TBN readings. That would really tell a LOT about this oil. I would like to know how much longer it could have been used. Although, I'm assuming this was the first oil change you did on the car, it wouldn't have hurt to have changed it at 1,000 miles instead of waiting for 3,000.

Guys, you really need to focus on the shearing the Ford 5W-50 does with so little use. After 3,000 miles it was already a 40 weight oil. This is what happens when you insist to use a group III base stock, add massive amounts of viscosity improver to make it span from a cold 5W to 50W, so that it can perform (short term) like a group IV. This is another area where true group IV synthetics are superior. If this would have been AMSOIL, after 3,000 miles it would still read around cSt @ 100*C of 17.xx to 18.xx, and I bet even the wear metals would have been a much lower ppm.

Thanks for the oil analysis, it speaks LOUD about what group III base stock can, and can't do.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Troy doesn't using an oiled gauze air filter also allow for high silicone readings?
At least compared to an OE paper one?

Now that Amsoil has made available those new air filters in some larger sizes, I'm thinking of switching out my 12" gauze for one. I should probably also get an oil analysis done too. I've known about them for about 4 years but until recently did not know about the large oval size with the 4" ID.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So, after some digging, I found a few specifications of the Ford 5W-50 group III synthetic formulation, and boy was I surprised! Not only do they provide so little information, one spec stood out above the rest.

Ford 5W-50 specs

Look at the virgin oil specs for cSt @ 100*C = 21.0

Wait, WHAT! 21.0, and after 3,000 miles the cSt @ 100*C was only 13.19, holy cow! I've never seen an oil shear more in so little of time.

Yeah, so now we know the rest of the story and why viscosity improver methods for group III base stocks fail. This is why I only use true group IV synthetics.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So, after some digging, I found a few specifications of the Ford 5W-50 group III synthetic formulation, and boy was I surprised! Not only do they provide so little information, one spec stood out above the rest.

Ford 5W-50 specs

Look at the virgin oil specs for cSt @ 100*C = 21.0

Wait, WHAT! 21.0, and after 3,000 miles the cSt @ 100*C was only 13.19, holy cow! I've never seen an oil shear more in so little of time.

Yeah, so now we know the rest of the story and why viscosity improver methods for group III base stocks fail. This is why I only use true group IV synthetics.

so then changing your oil at 3k is a good thing. well you seem to be a pretty smart person at least in oil, so would you like to be the guy to test all the companys that make our spec oil in 5w-50 an let us know what will hold up an what will not. you would be doing the GT500 an Ford GT guys a great favor :beer:

Ratchet

Established Member
Soooo..... RP and AMSOIL for my new motor then in the next oil change? I usually use Mobil 1 Full synthetic and change every 2000 miles in the old one.

bloomy63

Established Member
Here, posted it for you.

UOA.gif

What oil were you using? The cSt@ 100*C (13.19) tells me it sheared down, A LOT! Your oil was only a 40 weight when it was sent in for analysis. Fuel dilution wasn't the culprit of that, so I have to blame the formulation itself. This is common in oils that have massive amounts of viscosity improver added to make a group III base stock perform more like a group IV true synthetic.

Looking at the Zinc and Phosphorous (under 800 ppm - @ 3K miles of use) I'm guessing you are using the Ford Motorcraft 5W-50 API SM formulation.

I disagree with Blackstone in only one instance, 262 ppm of silcone...WOW! That's really high. Although, most of that could have been from the assembly process and won't show up in your next UOA. Normal reading here would have been 15 ppm or less, and that's still being conservative.

I can see the iron and copper content being high on a new break in engine, this will also decrease on the next UOA.

I wish you would have paid the extra money to get the TBN readings. That would really tell a LOT about this oil. I would like to know how much longer it could have been used. Although, I'm assuming this was the first oil change you did on the car, it wouldn't have hurt to have changed it at 1,000 miles instead of waiting for 3,000.

Guys, you really need to focus on the shearing the Ford 5W-50 does with so little use. After 3,000 miles it was already a 40 weight oil. This is what happens when you insist to use a group III base stock, add massive amounts of viscosity improver to make it span from a cold 5W to 50W, so that it can perform (short term) like a group IV. This is another area where true group IV synthetics are superior. If this would have been AMSOIL, after 3,000 miles it would still read around cSt @ 100*C of 17.xx to 18.xx, and I bet even the wear metals would have been a much lower ppm.

Thanks for the oil analysis, it speaks LOUD about what group III base stock can, and can't do.

Yes, this was the factory fill. I can only assume that ford put in the 5w50.

I didn't bother with getting the tbn checked because, in my experience, it takes a lot longer than 3k miles to deplete the total base number.

Before I park my car for the winter, which will probably be this weekend, I change the oil. When I do, I'll send in another sample and post the results. If I don't like the results, specifically the oil being sheared down, I'll give the amsoil 20w50 a try, since it has flow characteristics more like a 5w50 than a 20w50.

I don't mind being the "guinea pig" only problem is you won't see the results from me for the amsoil until this time next year cause I don't drive my shelby that much.

I use amsoil in my f-250 diesel and have for the last 300k miles. After many oil analysis', I change it every 20k without worry. it has over 340,000 miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread