Best Rain-X Alternative?

02Toner

Established Member
Hey guys-

I used to get this windshield sealant/wipe they use on airplanes and it would disperse water like none other. It would almost make using your wipers non existent. But that was a few years ago and I got it from my neighbor. Fast forward 6-7 years I moved and no longer have that contact, and don't remember what stuff it was. So I've tried regular Rain-X and while it works OK its not super impressive, and the stuff isn't very durable either, it seems like after 2-3 rains its all gone. What are you guys using on your DDs for a rain repellent on your windshield?

TLDR: What Rain-X or other water repellent are you using on your DD?

Thanks guys!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Myself, I buy the orange washer fluid from Wal-Mart that has the rain-x in it for around $3.50 I love driving down the highway with the wipers off because the water wicks away at speed. The harder is rains, the clearer the view as well.

zsommer79

Established Member
I use adam's glass sealant and it works pretty well. No need for wipers at hwy speeds.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
dont know if youve noticed but they redid their formula. its a more red orange than orange now, and it doesnt work NEARLY as well. I'm super disappointed.

I've noticed the red as well, but it seemed like it was geared more differently than the orange? As in if there were two options, red or orange? I'll check next time I grab some fluid.

mnewxcv

Established Member
I've noticed the red as well, but it seemed like it was geared more differently than the orange? As in if there were two options, red or orange? I'll check next time I grab some fluid.

ive looked all over for the orange, cant find it anymore. pretty sure it was a replacement since a few months back they were side by side on a shelf (same sku) and I grabbed the red ones.... seems more watery and transparent, doesnt bead as well, doesnt last as long. doesnt get my recommendation any longer!

EDIT: looks like there are 2 versions of orange. one is good for 0*F, the other for -25*F. The one I have that is red-orange is the -25*F and looks like dyed water. I will have to try to find some of the 0*F stuff.

http://www.rainx.com/product/windsh...-season-windshield-washer-fluid/#.U5EzsfldXmQ

vs:

http://www.rainx.com/product/windsh...-2-in-1-windshield-washer-fluid/#.U5Ezs_ldXmQ

seems like where I get my washer fluid (advance auto parts), they no longer carry the 0*F stuff. looks like walmart might so I will have to check.

Last edited:

02Toner

Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys! Actually, I think Aquapel is the stuff I used and absolutely loved it! After looking online over your guys suggestions, the Adams looks good too. May have to try out a few different, I can't stand the non-beading water on the glass.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Aquapel is fantastic stuff! There is also another product with a similar name that I can't remember off the top of my head that is great. I use BFWD as well, mainly because of how cheap it is and I would say I get about 1-2 months of durability on my truck that I daily and a full season on my cobra. Does the job very well for what it is and goes on clear with no streaking, that's all that matters so I don't mind reapplying when necessary.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sonax polymer net shield, and once a month wipe it with brilliant shine detailer. Brilliant shine is surprisingly hydrophobic.

Electrokid

Established Member
I have been using the Nanoskin glass sealant that comes in the little starter kit with the two speedy prep sponges. I have it on my daily driver, and it lasted a good 3 months. It has to be prepped properly, just like a coating, but it is worth it. Good product that reduces scratching too!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
dont know if youve noticed but they redid their formula. its a more red orange than orange now, and it doesnt work NEARLY as well. I'm super disappointed.

ive looked all over for the orange, cant find it anymore. pretty sure it was a replacement since a few months back they were side by side on a shelf (same sku) and I grabbed the red ones.... seems more watery and transparent, doesnt bead as well, doesnt last as long. doesnt get my recommendation any longer!

EDIT: looks like there are 2 versions of orange. one is good for 0*F, the other for -25*F. The one I have that is red-orange is the -25*F and looks like dyed water. I will have to try to find some of the 0*F stuff.

http://www.rainx.com/product/windsh...-season-windshield-washer-fluid/#.U5EzsfldXmQ

vs:

http://www.rainx.com/product/windsh...-2-in-1-windshield-washer-fluid/#.U5Ezs_ldXmQ

seems like where I get my washer fluid (advance auto parts), they no longer carry the 0*F stuff. looks like walmart might so I will have to check.

Looks like at least three variations.

There's 0*F, -20*F, and -25*F. Here's a pic of the two I recently purchased that are the -20*F:
May come from several different OEM plants throughout the US. This came from SouthWin Limited in Greensboro, NC. Rain-X was owned Ecolab, but it was sold back in December of 2012 to Zep:

WxzYcha.png

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I just clay and polish the windshield - then use JS109 or synthetic wax and it seals up great. Doesn't start working til about 30-35 mph though.

Users who are viewing this thread