Best Small SUV?

02Toner

Established Member
Hey guys, my mom's 05 CTS is starting to tally up some repair bills and is liking to drink a quart and a half of oil between changes, which is starting to worry me since it's out of warranty (but still only 65,000 miles). Anyway, with myself moving out and her being alone now she is wanting a small SUV for the versatility, plus she only commutes 8 miles round trip so MPGs aren't a big concern.

So guys what is your opinion on one of the better small SUVs out there?

Stipulations: under 35,xxx miles, under $25,000, must be able to get an extended warranty, and must be reliable.

My fiance has a 2013 edge, that we love, but I'm not sold on its reliabilty since it only has 6,xxx miles on it.

Thanks for the opinions! :banana:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
My 07 Edge Limited has 94000 miles on it.

Dont know how you couldnt be sold on its reliability. It has the same 3.0/3.5 v6 that ford has used for over a decade and has been stupid reliable.

02Toner

Established Member
My 07 Edge Limited has 94000 miles on it.

Dont know how you couldnt be sold on its reliability. It has the same 3.0/3.5 v6 that ford has used for over a decade and has been stupid reliable.

Ya, that's true I was just talking about my own experience with the vehicle. Which has been outstanding so far just not many miles.

Thanks for the quick replies!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Mazda CX-5 is the best small suv out there right now. Hands down.

THIS!!! My in-laws have the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD and it's a GREAT little SUV that does GREAT on gas! My in-laws were only considering the 2014 RAV4 and CR-V and when I mentioned the Mazda, they laughed at me... Long story short, I finally convinced them to look at the Mazda and that's what they brought home!

My wife actually drove it last week while my car was down and with her commute, she avg's 23mpg out of her car (2010 Milan V6) and driving the CX-5 she got 28mpg...

The only thing I hate is the GPS is a POS and the BOSE sound system is okay. Otherwise, it's a great SUV

Chiflikalotapus

Whippled
Established Member
Another vote for the edge. The wifey has an edge sport. Nice bells and whistles looks pretty sweet too.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
Honda CRV > Mazda CX-5 >>> Kia Sportage = Ford Edge

just because it has a blue badge doesnt mean we need to suck its proverbial dick

CR-V is boring, looks ugly, handles like shit, doesn't get the fuel mileage of the CX-5, oh and the ECON button that takes away from the A/C and power steering also is not a plus in my book. The CX-5 is better in almost every way, and most of the time (depending on trim) offers WAY more standard features.

OP, Send them out my way, I have Kia, Honda, Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, GMC, Cadillac, Mercedes, and Acura.

I agree with you though, kia = not my first choice. Edge = nice, but over priced with shitty mileage. Edge sports are sexy tho.

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
We have an Edge also. I cross-shopped Equinox, Escape, RAV4, Rogue, BMW X3. Ours has 15k on it, no problems so far.

Edge gave us the most for the money. We got the 2.0L ecoboost. If you keep your speed under control, you will get 30mpg on the freeway. The i4 Equinox and the RAV4s were so friggen slow, you had to get out and push to merge on the freeway.

The BAMF (bad ass moon roof), Sync, push button engine, power liftgate, power buttons to put the rear seats down, and the ability for it to get out of its own way sold us on it.

It's a nice CUV. Bigger than Escape, less problems.

02Toner

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions guys! I will defiantly have to take a CX-5 out for a drive and they look great as well; but looks like the Edge has its fair share of praise form it's owners as well.

Does Ford or Mazda offer an extended warranty on certified pre-owned vehicles?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't know if they are willing to wait till later this year but the jeep renegade is coming out. should start around 18.9K. Looks like a cool little SUV to me. estimated mpg of 25 city and 30 hwy.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Ford offers ESP on pre-owned vehicles if they qualify (miles and other conditions). Otherwise most dealers can and do sell aftermarket warranties that usually don't cover a whole lot for the money you spend.

Edge is a sound and proven vehicle.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
THIS!!! My in-laws have the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD and it's a GREAT little SUV that does GREAT on gas! My in-laws were only considering the 2014 RAV4 and CR-V and when I mentioned the Mazda, they laughed at me... Long story short, I finally convinced them to look at the Mazda and that's what they brought home!

My wife actually drove it last week while my car was down and with her commute, she avg's 23mpg out of her car (2010 Milan V6) and driving the CX-5 she got 28mpg...

The only thing I hate is the GPS is a POS and the BOSE sound system is okay. Otherwise, it's a great SUV

My wife has a 2011 CX9 and we love it. No issues yet and we have 27k miles on it. I am suprised you only saw 28mpg. On longer trips we are usually in the 24mpg area with the bigger 280ish HP V6, 20" wheels, and its loaded to the hilt. However..i still say for the money the CX5 is a great deal. We bought our 2011 CX9 Grand Touring with every option but AWD last year with 11k miles on it for $28k. With mielage around 30-40k they are still in the 24-25k area retial.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
Ford Edge gets shitty mileage? what?

I am averaging 26-27mpg every tank. I'm not sucking Ford's dick, it is a good quality vehicle. It has a great interior. I would much rather drive it, than a Honda, or Kia.

99GreenCobra

Established Member
07 rav 4. Been driving one for the last few months. It's around 270hp and gets 27mpg or so on the highway. Since new it's had brakes and exhast. Still has the original battery. Made me want to sell my 07 f150 lariat. It's a pig and is starting to cost me in repairs. The rav is just nice to drive. Tons of power, comfortable and decent mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread