Best way to purge intercooler???

331power

Established Member
I am having a hella of a tough time purging my intercooler system. Last 2 times the suck the return hose off the reservoir did the trick, but I have tried about 3 times and have had no luck. I feel the hose going to the top of the HE flowing with water but not the hose coming out the HE. I also tried while on incline but no luck. My assumption is that the aftercooler itself is full of air. I have heard using a garden hose does the trick. Anyone have any details on this???? Of the two lines going to the aftercooler which hose is return/feed?????? Thanx in advance, this sucks not being able to go into boost!!!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So, you're intercooler pump is running, but is not pumping coolant through it? Both the "suck' method (that sounds bad....), or the hose method should work in clearing the air out and getting fluid runing through there again. I usually blow real hard into the upper hose (that gores into the intercooler under the supercharger), before I suck. Garden hose method, you're going to have to cut the hose so that it will fit over the interior nipple in your IC reservoir box. Keep trying, you'll get it.

331power

Established Member
So, you're intercooler pump is running, but is not pumping coolant through it? Both the "suck' method (that sounds bad....), or the hose method should work in clearing the air out and getting fluid runing through there again. I usually blow real hard into the upper hose (that gores into the intercooler under the supercharger), before I suck. Garden hose method, you're going to have to cut the hose so that it will fit over the interior nipple in your IC reservoir box. Keep trying, you'll get it.

Do you have a breakdown/diagram of the flow of fluid??? I know the pump flows the fluid to the top of the HE, it then comes out and goes where?? Also the bottom hose of the reservoir goes to the topmost tube if the aftercooler itself right???

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
It's been awhile (and I should know this for fact....), but I beleive the intercooler system flows like this: Reservoir (bottom nipple) > intercooler pump > heat exchanger > intercooler > Reservoir (top nipple).

So when you blow through the top hose of the reservoir, you're actually blowing through the intercooler and the heat exchanger before it gets to the pump. But this still seems to work for most. You'l need to use a jumper wire to temporarily replace the intercooler relay switch so that the pump is working while you do this. Here's a pic:

ICjump.jpg

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe you suck the top reservoir hose (or suck off :-D) or you would blow the bottom hose, according to the IC system flow.

OP - are you absolutely certain the pump is running?

331power

Established Member
I believe you suck the top reservoir hose (or suck off :-D) or you would blow the bottom hose, according to the IC system flow.

OP - are you absolutely certain the pump is running?

Just as I thought. I know its running cause I can hear it and feel it, I press on the hose flowing out the pump to the top of the HE and I can feel the water running. You know guys I have done this about 3 times before and usually did not struggle. Did I mention that I changed my intercooler orings, because they were leaking. I hope the intercooler itself is not leaking, but I dont think so cause it would have sucked coolant up to the blower.

Users who are viewing this thread