Blue Mark on Head

UptonMustang

The FASTER Cobra
Established Member
I've been researching for a couple weeks and have read that half way thru production in 03, Ford did a revision on the driver's side head to allow for larger passages to flow more eficiently. This is identified by a blue paint mark down the inboard side of the head closest to the blower. Supposedly, if you have this revised head, you don't need the cooling mod? Through paperwork that was passed on with my car, I found that Ford did in fact put a new revised (blue stripe) head on mine a couple years before I bought it.

Anybody have anymore info on this?

GodStang

Established Member
That is not what the blue stripe means. Do a search there is tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of info on the board about this. Also there were 4 revised heads not just 1. Three that came from the factory and 1 that never did.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
From Cobra Bob's Terminator FAQ:

"I have a blue stripe on the driver side head. Does it mean that the head was replaced by the dealer or at the factory to fix the tick issue?

This is a question that has been tossed around more than a mixed salad. The popular rumor is that the blue stripe means that the head was replaced by the dealer (or at the factory) to fix the tick issue. First, some facts. The tick issue can occur on any 2003 or 2004 Cobra, and also Mach 1s. The latest head, and the one that fixed the tick issue, wasn't released until 01/2005. Second, the blue stripe has appeared on 2003 and 2004 Cobras/Mach 1s from the factory. It has appeared on both the driver side and passenger side heads. So it has no correlation to the fix issue that we're are definitely aware of.

As far as what the blue stripe means, JB from SVTPerformance.com belongs to a local Cobra club and they toured the factory a couple of years ago. This was the explanation given at the factory. "Assembly plants use just-in-time inventory, meaning parts are not stored up but are delivered daily. The paint markers provide a visual confirmation of when particular batches have been purged from the line. They show up on other Ford engines besides the '03/'04 Cobra. The bottom-line is that the blue stripe doesn't mean a head has been replaced by a dealer"."

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
It means absolutely nothing, both of my heads have a blue strip and it was built in Aug '02 and they haven't been replaced. Revised heads weren't availabe until Jan '05

03sm3341

Established Member
For anyone who does'nt know what were talking about here's a pics of the "blue head"
IMG_0168.jpg

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Yep, my driver's has it...but they have never been replaced in the life of my car...it means nothing...

GodStang

Established Member
It means absolutely nothing, both of my heads have a blue strip and it was built in Aug '02 and they haven't been replaced. Revised heads weren't availabe until Jan '05

That is not 100% true. Like I said there were 4 revised heads. 3 where done in 2003 and 2004 and installed from factory where the 4th and final was not done till 2005.

trmin8ter03

Established Member
I dont think anyone knows exactly what it means. All I do know is that my car has 95k miles, no head tick with blue paint on the head.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Back it up with some data.
I know for certain that there have been at least a couple revisions because most Terms where fitted with heads that have 4 plug threads but there are some later cars that came with 9 thread heads from the factory.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Mine had 9 threads from the factory. This was visually verified by me with my heads removed.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Mine had 9 threads from the factory. This was visually verified by me with my heads removed.
So are you saying all 04's were revised with 9 threads? Some people say NO? Was it a mid production run change? I know guys with 03's that only had 4 which is what the 99-01's have as well?

GodStang

Established Member
So are you saying all 04's were revised with 9 threads? Some people say NO? Was it a mid production run change? I know guys with 03's that only had 4 which is what the 99-01's have as well?

No not all but some.

DarkSnake said:
First I have heard of this. Back it up with some data.

Use the search function its out there. Not really caring if you have heard it before.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Ok Ok it is harder to search than I thought. Livernois who deals ALOT with Ford and Ford heads had a big write up about the different heads and what each of the changes were. Some were minor oil passages and some minor cooling passages and then the obvious 9 thread spark plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread