Boss 302 or 2015 Mustang GT??

_Snake_

Established Member
Definitely the Boss.

Felt like a star dodging paparazzi yesterday evening on the highway. My wife and I chuckled about it the rest of the night.

papasnake

Established Member
I'm in tHe same boat as op. Here is my question. ..is the irs on the 15 a "token" irs or is it pretty legit? I need a track car. The 500 is great for straight line, and its a vert, so not ideal for autocross. Ill mod to get the power where it needs to be

papasnake

Established Member
I should add the ONLY reason I would get a 15 is for the irs And idc about "exclusivity"

Last edited:

UA13GT

Established Member
I have not completely decided but I ordered a 2015 pp car on 2/2/15. I took my Boss out Sunday for a drive and I don't think I could have broke more necks if I would have been driving some rare Ferrari. It depends on what you really want, unfortunately I cannot afford to have both.

KarbisSVT

Established Member
Absolutely I would go with the Boss LS for $39K. The LS also has the center console gauges which I like. I had it installed in my Boss but with some different gauges and it makes a difference. Anyway, just for resale value and how exclusive the LS Boss is, it would be a no-brainer for me.

As for the 2015 with the track pack. I disagree with Ford saying that the baseline they used was the Boss and that it is faster than the Boss....etc.

I've only sat in a 2015 as a passenger on the track, but the 2015 is WAY underdamped... and the IRS suffers from wheel hop way worse than a stock Boss will. It is a lots smoother especially if you are cutting the curbs on tunrs, but once you get used to the Boss, it doesn't bother you.

I haven't followed the aftermarket for the 2015, but with some better springs and dampers and probably some tighter bushings and stronger bracing in the rear, it will likely come close to the Boss, but my friend could pull faster lap times with my Boss than he could with his new 2015.

Anyway, also remember how much beefed up the internals of the Boss are. If you do decide to track your car, you definitely want the forged internals to be able to take the high RPM for long periods of time.

Enough rambling.. just buy the Boss LS! :)

Thanks for the input! I'm getting a few things together before I go for the Boss LS and then i will buy! :D Also... as i was looking through some more used cars I did come across a 07 Z06 which looked amazing! For the same price! has 29,000 miles on it. But yea just made me think a little, 505hp + 3200lbs = FAsssssttTTTTT lol But i did some research and I noticed that there are a good amount of Boss 302 owners that used to own a z06 and have no regrets.. So I'm still going for the Boss! Any one have any more input on a C6 z06 vs a Boss 302? I know the C6 Z06 is faster and all just wondering what the owners think in comparison to the Boss 302.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I bought an C6 Z06 new in '06.... I did some amazing things with that car.... I went 10.92 @ 128 100% stock on drag radials, I did 173 mph in the standing mile all stock and I met my wife in it. The Z06 is still an icon!! It is one amazing car. But it was not without it's issues. I nearly lemon lawed it at one point. But no regrets, I owned it 6 years.

The Boss is more fun to drive IMO. No question the boss is slower, I have gone 11.82 at 117 stock on drag radials in it. The boss feels more toss able IMO too. The vette had amazing grip, but poor feed back and feel. The boss feels more planted. Now with my suspension mods it's even better. The other thing is my boss has not had one issue in nearing 3 years of ownership. At the three year mark in my Z06 it had probably spent nearly 2 months combined at the dealer for warranty work!
If I was in the market right now knowing what if know , the Boss is a better car.
But... If all out power is what you crave.. The Z06 is raw power and speed. But without a warranty, just be ready for something.

Last edited:

legos_mustang

Established Member
The IRS is definitely not "token". All things being equal it is a much better rear end for the car, and Ford is definitely moving in the right direction. The live rear axle is outdated and should have been replaced years ago. It wasn't for three main reasons IMHO. 1 - cost. The live axle is much cheaper than an IRS. 2 - It preforms equally as well on a quarter mile track. Finally, 3 - Ford had gotten the performance of the live axle to a point where it was "close enough" to the performance of of similarly priced cards on a road race.

So all things being equal - Ford had a win in its corner.

But Chevy finally got serious about suspension with the 1LE package and it took #3 away from ford. A stock 2011-2014 GT with the performance pack can not match the 1LE package generally in a road race.

I say generally because there will always be a track, or a difference between two drivers, where the opposite could be true. But in general, you can expect the 1LE package to spank a GT on a road race. (Quarter mile remains the same - the live axle is equal and sometimes even a little better)

So I wasted a lot of time just to tell you the IRS isn't just a fad. It is a definite improvement to the car. On most tracks you will definitely notice the difference right away.

However - I would still go for the Boss. Ford put that much more work into the Boss matching the spring rates, adjustable dampers, sway bars, etc. It can and does still stay close and often beat a new track pack GT (in my experience) Especially the LS.

This will probably change in the next couple of years. This is the first year of Ford's IRS. They are completely watching to see what people's cars are doing as well as the aftermarket on what people are getting. I expect they will find places to reinforce, use stronger bushings, and maybe adjust spring and damper rates probably in the 3rd year of the car. The first year is always somewhat of an experiment as you can never replicate in testing all the things that will happen once the car goes on sale.

Get the LS. You will be more than happy with it and 5 years from now people will look at a normal gt like it is nothing special. However they will still look at the LS with envy.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Boss 302 is a special car. The 2015 GT is probably a faster car and the GT350 which is the slot replacement for the Boss 302 is maybe the ultimate road course Mustang. My personal plan is to allow the 15 GT, the 5L motor is a Boss 302 engine anyway, to errod the resale on the Boss 302 for a couple of years and then I will find my 2012 Boss to keep for the duration. In the end I think with Ford discontinuing the V8 engine that the Boss values will jump back up like the air cooled 911's did.

boomstick33

Established Member
I vote for the Boss 302 LS as well. I just got mine a couple weeks back so really haven't driven it because of winter still here but I was also thinking of the 2015 GT as well. It just came down to the Boss is just such a special car, the GT just can't compete to what a Boss IS. I don't regret my decision at all ;-) My dad bought a 1970 Boss 302 brand new & buying this just made everything come full circle for my dad & I.

RSKtakR

Established Member
I had a 2013 Boss and I just bought a 2015 PP GT with Recaros ( its NOT my DD car). I missed the SHIT out of my Boss when I traded it in 3yrs ago because of health problems.. got all of that out of the way and I decided to order a 2015. I have never been a cutting curves up with a car type of person.. always been drag racing the cars, and cutting curves with a crotch rocket. When I had the Boss I got ADDICTED to hauling ass through curves with a car. After reading that the 2015 was based on the LS in a lot of different aspects, I knew I would like it just as much if not more. And after 1500 miles on the 2015 I love it, it gets just as much attention as the Boss did BUT I liked the Boss because of the actual "heritage" behind it and the history. Not to mention you don't see many of them. I wasn't old enough to even remember the last generation of Boss, so I HAD to get one because I will probably never see another Boss Mustang built brand new and available to the public. The stock 2015 rides nice and tight, cuts through the curves better and was cheaper then a Boss with low mileage. For the $$ id rather have the 2015. My only bitch about the 2015's is the OUTRAGEOUS cost for aftermarket parts.. Roush mufflers run like $200 CHEAPER for the 11-14 cars where as for the 2015 they are $550.. the exhaust system itself has ridiculous prices when it comes to aftermarket as well and from the cats back is ONE piece, the drivers side catalytic and manifold is all one piece so you can just run factory manifolds and an o/r x or h pipe with out LT's. I found a good deal on an entire cat back for $485 shipped to me that sounds great, so deals aren't that hard to find I guess. So far if you want eliminate the wheel hop under hard acceleration then you have to buy an entire new IRS sub frame with aluminum bushings vs the stock rubber ones, or you can buy the bushings alone but then the IRS sub frame still has to be removed, which is NOT something I want to do. Steeda has some new bushing inserts for the S550 that are supposed to eliminate most all of the wheel hop for $135, but I have yet to see actual customers stating such. Basically there is TONS of lots cheaper aftermarket available for the 11-14 and not much for the S550.. YET. If I was to do it all again, I would still opt for the 2015 GT PP car with Recaros. But if you don't have kids and this car isn't going to be a DD, I would opt for a Boss 302 LS because of the Heritage and I have YET to see one on the streets of Kansas City and im out around cars LOTS. At the end of the day I would STILL break my neck at any Boss I see lurking the streets.

Last edited:

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
I've driven both pretty hard. My best friend had one. I'd say the boss will always be more exclusive.

However with the extras line lock, track apps and irs plus the price put me over the edge towards the 2015. I picked up a base with pp and recaros for 33477. Got that price with new finance car rates, it put me over the edge.

I'd also bet that this gt was not far off if at all from the boss mustang in perfromance, but now I get it cheaper with newer body interior and technology.

Just for what it's worth.

Last edited:

KarbisSVT

Established Member
Allright Guys. I finally Did it! I wanted to post on this thread since I started it a few months ago. I finally got my Manual 2015 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack fully loaded and I LOVE IT! Thanks for all the input and help and sharing your knowledge!

I had to go for a 15 GT since i will be daily driving this beauty. I got it used with 2,500 miles for $36K! I love every bit of it, and I am all ready craving the mods. I added an X pipe a few days ago and will slowly but surely continue modding this Beast!

Btw. I love the cooled seats. My balls are always chillin especially in this California heat. loll

IMG_1486 by Karbis Sarafyan, on Flickr

IMG_1494 by Karbis Sarafyan, on Flickr

IMG_1492 by Karbis Sarafyan, on Flickr

EuroMuscleCar

65 SOHC- Read your 1.5 year old thread and have a question...

More power, less weight, adjustable dampers, TracKey, quad exhaust, "head-turnage." I'm keeping my '13 until the GT350 appears. Then my Boss goes to my son.

Apparently you made the plunge on the GT350, and since I am tossing back and forth on whether to go with the 2013 Boss302 or lease a new GT350 or GT PerfPak, I have the obvious question: Now that you have driven both for awhile, what's your take? I drove a 2015 Performance Pack GT and gotta' tell you, even with the IRS and all, I thought the 2013 B302 I drove was much more predictable and intuitive ride, more like an E90 M3 than the 2016--live axle and all. I don't know what magic Ford did with B302, but it is incredibly flat and really carves it up nicely. The 2016, and maybe I just am just being naive here, seems that Ford really hasn't dialed in the IRS as well as they did the live axle--yet? Not to say it didn't handle well, but ironically it was easier to over-steer than the B302!? So, moving up the ladder to the GT350, did they get it right? What are your thoughts on the GT350 in comparison? Obviously I did test drives on both, so couldn't do what I might here at the track in Portland, but you get a sense...

Users who are viewing this thread