Boss302S

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Yeah but these cars are not the same. They have very different setups, the negative camber would not work on a street car as the tires would be wiped in a matter of days. Adjustable coil overs and unique camber/caster plates, rear control arm relocates and rear coil overs

I was under the impression that these cars were pretty much identical in terms of the sub assembly...
IMG_0268.jpg

The adjustable coil overs and camber / caster plates shouldn't have much effect on improper steering geometry from lowering a McPherson strut suspension system...that requires extended RCAs/ball joints and possibly inverted tie rod ends and adjustable steering rods if severe. Coilovers simply raise and lower the car (which affects static camber) and camber / caster plates simply allow adjustment of static camber/caster.

Also, negative camber should not dramatically increase tire wear if the toe is set to 0*...toe is what chews up the tires.

The RLCA's have lowering brackets on them from the factory.

Interesting...can you post a pic? So are the rear LCAs set differently depending on whether the BOSS 302s comes with the upgraded suspension?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I was under the impression that these cars were pretty much identical in terms of the sub assembly...
IMG_0268.jpg

The adjustable coil overs and camber / caster plates shouldn't have much effect on improper steering geometry from lowering a McPherson strut suspension system...that requires extended RCAs/ball joints and possibly inverted tie rod ends and adjustable steering rods if severe. Coilovers simply raise and lower the car (which affects static camber) and camber / caster plates simply allow adjustment of static camber/caster.

Also, negative camber should not dramatically increase tire wear if the toe is set to 0*...toe is what chews up the tires.

Interesting...can you post a pic? So are the rear LCAs set differently depending on whether the BOSS 302s comes with the upgraded suspension?

I'm fairly certain all of the 302S cars came with the rear LCA lowering brackets and it's not determined by the suspension option. The LCA's came from the factory on the lowest setting and I was told by Dean they should be on the higher setting and we moved them up a notch.

Sorry I missed your post and I will try to shoot some pics tomorrow.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
I'm fairly certain all of the 302S cars came with the rear LCA lowering brackets and it not determined by the suspension option. The LCA's came from the factory on the lowest setting and I was told be Dean they should be on the higher setting and we moved them up a notch.

Sorry I missed your post and I will try to shoot some pics tomorrow.

Thank you sir! Looking forward to it.

AZBOSS

Established Member
That picture also shows the stock dampers in-place; I believe many (most?) of the customers opted for the Multimatic Dynamic Damper setup (coilovers, cc plates, etc) installed at delivery.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hopefully this will save some others with these cars a little time and headache in the future.

I recently noticed the right side chassis mount for the splitter support was loose. Not wanting a fastener to come off the car on the race track we started investigating how to tighten it. We could not get at the fastener and ended up taking the front bumper cover off the car:

frontendoff.jpg

We discovered that there is a nut welded on the back side of the chassis support bracket and when the swivel joint was tightened up, it was out of orientation. So to cure that we just installed a thin aluminum washer and that put us right where we needed to be:

splittersupportmount.jpg

When taking the front end off the car we discovered the splitter is one heavy MO-FO:

oemsplitterweight.jpg

Now, 10-3/4# might not not sound like a lot of weight but if you held this thing you'd say WTF. :dw: A piece of drywall this shape would be lighter. So I called Dean at Rehagen and picked up a C/F Ford Racing splitter that weighs much less than half. It's like 3-1/2 or 4#. Sorry I didn't weigh it in my haste installing it. :bash:

We also lowered and pushed the AIM unit closer to the driver by putting an off-set on the mounting bracket:

aimoffset.jpg

Unless you're a 5'-1" driver, you're never going to see those cool programable shift lights on top of the unit. I have a nice clear view of them now.

I was also unhappy with my original dead pedal height so we changed that as well to a lower position:

deadpedalii.jpg

Next on the agenda is finalizing the 13" rear brake conversion kit! :-D

adam81

Established Member
Bruce is right about the splitter..... I have had two screws that hold the splitter strut bars to the two nipples (one on the splitter and the other on the bumber bracker that he has pictured) come all the way out from track days. The nipples are a little loose on mine as well however I don't think they will come out. Maybe they were designed like this for some flexibility...???

AZBOSS

Established Member
Good; what do you think of the stock ratios in the S? Are you planning on changing your rear gear to a 4.10 or 4.30, or are you happy with how the trans works with the 3.73?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
the 6060 is a 5 speed plus overdrive transmission. running a longer track like road america bruce would run out of gear with a 4:10, iirc. my t56r has 6 racing gears and i can consider a 4:10 for a long track, if i wanted to start shifting all the time.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Good; what do you think of the stock ratios in the S? Are you planning on changing your rear gear to a 4.10 or 4.30, or are you happy with how the trans works with the 3.73?

Actually I'm pretty happy with the stock ratios in the trans. I don't plan on changing the rear gear. I'm going to leave this car relatively stock for a change. Something I have not done with previous cars.

After Dean drove my car at Road America last year I learned it's not the car that's slow, it's me! :cryying:

AZBOSS

Established Member
the 6060 is a 5 speed plus overdrive transmission. running a longer track like road america bruce would run out of gear with a 4:10, iirc. my t56r has 6 racing gears and i can consider a 4:10 for a long track, if i wanted to start shifting all the time.

Yeah, I'm aware of that; while I don't have any experience w/ this trans. I've actually been mapping out and comparing the shift points (with various tire sizes and rearend gears) for the MT82, 6060, and the two flavors of T56MagnumXL, with the thought of replacing my MT82 with something that will be more robust under competition conditions.

I typically don't have the opportunity to race on tracks that would get me above 150mph, so that's not a huge concern; but I don't want to shut the door on that opportunity either.

Actually I'm pretty happy with the stock ratios in the trans. I don't plan on changing the rear gear. I'm going to leave this car relatively stock for a change. Something I have not done with previous cars.

After Dean drove my car at Road America last year I learned it's not the car that's slow, it's me! :cryying:

OK well now that I have some input, my next question is how does the 302S pull in 5th gear at WOT? (hence my question about the rear gear choice etc). In the earlier S197, with the 3650 having a .65 5th, if you had to go to 5th, the car would just fall on it's face at 140ish mph. Is 5th in the 6060 usable since it's a .80?
And yes I know that 5th is 150mph+ and is contradictory to my statement above in this same post :rolling:

Thank you both for the input and I look forward to having more discussion on this.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm aware of that; while I don't have any experience w/ this trans. I've actually been mapping out and comparing the shift points (with various tire sizes and rearend gears) for the MT82, 6060, and the two flavors of T56MagnumXL, with the thought of replacing my MT82 with something that will be more robust under competition conditions.

I typically don't have the opportunity to race on tracks that would get me above 150mph, so that's not a huge concern; but I don't want to shut the door on that opportunity either.

OK well now that I have some input, my next question is how does the 302S pull in 5th gear at WOT? (hence my question about the rear gear choice etc). In the earlier S197, with the 3650 having a .65 5th, if you had to go to 5th, the car would just fall on it's face at 140ish mph. Is 5th in the 6060 usable since it's a .80?
And yes I know that 5th is 150mph+ and is contradictory to my statement above in this same post :rolling:

Thank you both for the input and I look forward to having more discussion on this.

IIRC I'm not close to redline in 4th gear at Road America or Road Atlanta with my car. Granted, I'm not driving it that fast either! I'm well over 140 but not quite to 150 and have not been in 6th gear except for touring laps when I'm showing someone the track.

The car is near perfect as I can imagine. The only thing that would make this car better (IMHO) would be an IRS. I'm just not comfortable driving that stick axle. I cut my teeth on the track with an IRS car.

FWIW

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i am curious. what "competition conditions" would you be in with a street boss?

btw....this idea that bruce is slow is funny. off dean martin's pace is like being off tony stewart's pace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread