Brake Pads?

KotnmthKng

Established Member
I am going to upgrade my brakes this month and Im wondering what the best pads for me are. I plan on getting the FRPP rotors from Summit. These are mostly just for looks. The car is my DD and Im just looking to get some good stopping power with minimal brake dust. I have been looking at EBC and Hawk, or do I not really need something this expensive? Also are SS lines worth it for me?

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
SS lines give you better pedal feel. If you do weekend tracking or some autox here and there they are deff a good investment. If its just your DD or your weekend drag racer, you won't even know the difference. EBC and Hawk make great hi-perf. street pads; you can't really go wrong with either. I would personally do Hawk because i've had lots of experience with them and they never disappoint.

5Litrarag

Established Member
For a pure daily I think the OEM Cobra pads are good enough. I think the EBCs and Hawks make too much dust.

caliboy08

Established Member
the stainless lines aren't a must, but they sure make the pedal feel more solid when you step on it.. as for pads, both hawk and ebc are good.. i ran hawk hps plus's.. a little dusty, but i washed my car once a week so it didn't matter..

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
If you're planning on road race/auto-x at all I would go with hawk HPSs, if you don't do anything but drag and street, OEM pads should be just fine and no need for SS lines.

Off-topic: Where did you guys get your SS lines from? I've seen people with Russell, but their site tells me they don't have any for the 96-98 Cobra, am I missing something?

909cobra

Established Member
get hawk ceramics. they work great. hardly any dust. hawk race pads or ebc race pads are better if you dont mind the dust.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
Hawk pads are great, and seem to last a long time, but do create a lot of dust. Also I did not see much of any (if any) difference with my Agency Power brake lines up front.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
scuzzdude2587 said:
If you're planning on road race/auto-x at all I would go with hawk HPSs, if you don't do anything but drag and street, OEM pads should be just fine and no need for SS lines.

Off-topic: Where did you guys get your SS lines from? I've seen people with Russell, but their site tells me they don't have any for the 96-98 Cobra, am I missing something?

SShoses9498 (google)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397847&highlight=hoses

All I can tell ya.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
scuzzdude2587 said:
So the 94-95 hoses work fine then?

Yes, the fronts 94-98 are the same.

With Russel's 4 piece 96-98 kit includes 2 rears which are different from the extra 3 piece rears that you get with their 94-95 kit (5 total)...but you obviously pay more for since they include the rear set as well.

I personally know that the rears are not required to upgrade since the brake fluid at the rears does not heat up like the fronts whose stock hoses tends to expand (due to the boiling fluid) when brake pressure is applied. The rears only get slightly warm and do not bulge/expand with pedal pressure like the fronts. (why SS hoses are a good thing to upgrade on the fronts).

Confusing enough? :-D

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I would do the rears anyway.

The rubber lines will expand to an extent.
I'll agree on the not as much as the front due to brake bias and temp.

5Litrarag

Established Member
scuzzdude2587 said:
Good to know. I also saw on Maximum Motorsports that they carry some manufactured by Stoptech, anyone have any experience with those?

Those are the ones I went with. Very good stuff and reasonably priced.

Glueyes1

Established Member
5Litrarag said:
For a pure daily I think the OEM Cobra pads are good enough. I think the EBCs and Hawks make too much dust.

I agree.I love the my hawks but to much ****ing dust

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Just replaced mine with Napa mid-grade ceramic blends. Cheap, and they stop great and don't produce nearly the amount of dust the OEM ones did.

Users who are viewing this thread