Brand new 2012 coming in for few mods and a big ass turbo

CPRsm

Ever seen 14in brakes look "cute?" LOL

14ininsaleenrims.jpg

Backlash was measured and rear end was taken apart to get ready. Needs bracing, solid pinion spacer, 9in ends, etc. Started on the ice and gas tank as well.

CPRsm

Nothing major. Stopped by the machine shop the other day and grabbed the first pics. Then picked them up today. The rest is some of the parts trickling in.
CNC is awesome for consistency. After you're done welding there is barely any surfacing at all to get them straight.

cnco.jpg

cnccoyoteflanges.jpg

coyoteflanges.jpg

bobsupper001.jpg

miscparts002.jpg

miscparts001.jpg

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Why not leave the pump on all the time? Why have it boost activated? I guess youll use a Hobbs switch?

And with no heat exchanger, what keeps the water cool when your beating on it for extending periods of time? Won't it heat up if your doing multiple hwy pulls, for example? Call me crazy but I just like A/A better. I feel that a good core can be consistent and keep rises in IAT's down to an acceptable range. I'll take 20-30 degree rises, I can deal with that. I just don't like the idea of running the tank in the trunk with the lines, added fluid, etc. seems like alot of weight to add plus the A/W cooler as well. If every gallon is 8 lbs there must be at least 5 gallons in then system right? I feel like it will add 150 lbs when done, plus the turbo step adding another 80-100. Obv the power increase outweighs it but just stating it ya know.

And with the boost controller being controlled by how much E85 is in The tank, if it's too low, your boost doesn't go up? So do you manually switch back to 93 with a Y block with a switch? And what about the return line? And how does the Ecu switch maps? I wish someone would develop a user tunable open Ecu tuning solution for these cars because then things would be alot easier.

CPRsm

This particular car is going with the a/w. It would hard to only see 30-40 degree rise on an a/a with the room up front on the GT. The a/a core also wieghs a lot more, so there is more wieght on the nose, and more volume delaying boost. Where the a/w wieghs more total, most of its wieght is in the back. Plus at the track if you decide to run ice, there is an added benefit. With the heat exchanger, you won't get the inlets as nice. Heat exchanger becomes a restriction in the system along with the tiny lines needed to go in and out of it. No HE allows much larger lines netting better temps. That customer log is from a guy who beat on the car for 45 min straight. He said he had never done that before and was surprised he didn't get pulled over. But the water didn't get hot. It took him some convincing it would work like you. But he couldn't be happier. But this car has an ace up its sleeve yet to show.

The pump will be boost activated. It's a mangafuel 750 and is not meant for constant duty. So it along with the fuel would get hot with it on constantly. There won't be any y block trickery. It's a completely different fuel systemand ecu controlling it all. Basically the whole system will be controlled by the traction control button. That will power the boost controller. Without the BC on, the boost will remain on the spring pressure. There is a fuel guage for the e85 tank also. When the level gets low, the system will shut down the control and go back to spring pressure which will probably be 8 psi, and totally safe on pump at our compression. While the boost is down and injectors 9-16 are off, it will run around town on 93, the stock fuel system, and with better gas mileage than e85 also.

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Established Member
This particular car is going with the a/w. It would hard to only see 30-40 degree rise on an a/a with the room up front on the GT. The a/a core also wieghs a lot more, so there is more wieght on the nose, and more volume delaying boost. Where the a/w wieghs more total, most of its wieght is in the back. Plus at the track if you decide to run ice, there is an added benefit. With the heat exchanger, you won't get the inlets as nice. Heat exchanger becomes a restriction in the system along with the tiny lines needed to go in and out of it. No HE allows much larger lines netting better temps. That customer log is from a guy who beat on the car for 45 min straight. He said he had never done that before and was surprised he didn't get pulled over. But the water didn't get hot. It took him some convincing it would work like you. But he couldn't be happier. But this car has an ace up its sleeve yet to show.

The pump will be boost activated. It's a mangafuel 750 and is not meant for constant duty. So it along with the fuel would get hot with it on constantly. There won't be any y block trickery. It's a completely different fuel systemand ecu controlling it all. Basically the whole system will be controlled by the traction control button. That will power the boost controller. Without the BC on, the boost will remain on the spring pressure. There is a fuel guage for the e85 tank also. When the level gets low, the system will shut down the control and go back to spring pressure which will probably be 8 psi, and totally safe on pump at our compression. While the boost is down and injectors 9-16 are off, it will run around town on 93, the stock fuel system, and with better gas mileage than e85 also.

Jesus that sounds very complicated man. I say run an ethanol content sensor (Flex Fuel vehicles) and just patch in a motec of Pro-Efi for fuel and ignition control. Run 2200's and then the a/f tables can be adjusted based on ethanol content. I like to keep things SIMPLE. That's way too many sending units, and injectors, and so on to go wrong for me!

And with the intercooler is it really that tight in there? Can we fit a 4" core? Maybe run a custom rad with slimline fans to allow some more room for the air to go somewhere?

BTrinanes

Established Member
Jesus that sounds very complicated man. I say run an ethanol content sensor (Flex Fuel vehicles) and just patch in a motec of Pro-Efi for fuel and ignition control. Run 2200's and then the a/f tables can be adjusted based on ethanol content. I like to keep things SIMPLE. That's way too many sending units, and injectors, and so on to go wrong for me!

And with the intercooler is it really that tight in there? Can we fit a 4" core? Maybe run a custom rad with slimline fans to allow some more room for the air to go somewhere?

I was wondering how the flex fuel vehicles sensed the E85. You seem to know a lot about this, have you done it before? This seems kind of complicated to me but I'm interested. The OP's car has a piggy back style system which I like cus it allows stock pump/injectors for great drivability and an inspection friendly car. Not to mention you don't have to burn E85 for everyday driving. We only
Have a few stations around here so it would be a huge inconvenience.

CPRsm

I like simple, but his needs diictated all of this. Not hard really though. Ford GT's run 16 injectors from the factory. Anything that goes wrong, the system will shut down and lower boost.

Yours doesn't sound like a bad idea, but this will keep him smog legal, with OBII intact. Smog legal in probably 49 state touting close to 1500hp. ONLY question is how hard cams will make that.

The other problem I potentially see with your idea is a pump large enough for the fuel volume you will need not being loud as hell, or heating up fuel. With this system of a stock pump and smaller injectors, idle quality and gas mileage will be great.

How in your system how would you keep the car from making 30psi with low ethanol content ? Even if you have a visual gauge, your average customer will not know at what ethanol % can he turn the boost to what psi. He can run any amount without worry like this. Calculations, just fiddle with the boost controller, and hammer down.

Each way has their merits, all of this on top of the fact he just doesn't have any ethanol close buy. So he can drive around where ever he wants without worrying where to stop to fuel up. That was the biggest reason for him. We just added a little along the way for safety features to eliminate human error. This way is the epitome of having your cake and eating it,too.

Yeah, slopes back and has the fins/fogs at the bottom. GT500's I fit 4.5in core. But you can fit a 3.5 core, which is what I have made up. Should do well, but IDK if it's going to be enough for this car. But I will put it on to find its limits. Have to cut a good bit to get that to fit in there. But the A/W would do well in any car. You would have to to pull after pull after pull to see 30-40 rise. So I wouldn't recommend a cannon ball run lol. But driving around and even playing you're not going to overheat it.

CPRsm

The TT car is gone so back to work on this one.

Upper control arm mount in and made to keep the back seat.
uppercontrolarmmount.jpg

Big daddy mounted
fuelpumpmountedc.jpg

Finished sump
fuellcell2.jpg

Cell mocked into place
cellinplace.jpg

CPRsm

Driveshaft showed up today. Worked on the water and cell last night. Got the sending unit measured,cut and installed. Evap core is about in. This is going to be on a thermostat switch. We'll crank it down as far as we need depending on what the fuel likes. Just need a screen for the ice and we're good.

cfdriveshaft001.jpg

watertank.jpg

watertankoutlet.jpg

StevenStarke

Established Member
OK I hear you, makes sense. We are experimenting with the ethanol content sensors now but so far it seems real good. Only other thing would be you'd have to lower the boost if you weren't on e85. An in car boost controller can do that no problem though.

The guy I work tunes on E85 frequently and the problem in the winter is that E85 turns into e70 because they lower it for cold starts. So thats the reason we first started playing around with the ethanol content sensors.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
Op. What do you think of the tranny internals? I know it seems bullet proof so far, but do you see anything you want to change for longevity? You must have a few ideas because your not just slapping a converter in it.

CPRsm

I don't see anything that stands out real bad. An aluminum drum, but it's pretty thick. Some of the splines looked a little short but they made up for it in spline count. Idk how many honestly but looked to be over 30. Over all to be honest the thing is damn robust looking. There are even roller thrust bearings through out. The clutches look to be very easy to add without losing much if any measurable strength

Users who are viewing this thread