Breaking the Bronco Raptor 1/4 Mile Record - Again | Quicker Than Expected!!!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Breaking the Bronco Raptor 1/4 Mile Record - Again | Quicker Than Expected!!!

BRaptor_Norwalk_Run_003.jpg

It may not be what she was designed for, but the Bronco Raptor is shaping up to be quite the surprise on the strip. A few weeks back, with the help of a Whipple tune and intercooler combo, we set what we believed to be the current ¼ mile record with our BRaptor. A cool night in Darlington, SC yielded a best run of 13.93 @ 98.06 MPH. However, we always felt there was at least another tenth on the table if the launch could be better dialed-in.

Fast forward a few weeks, and we installed a set of SPD downpipes with the optional GESI cats on our rig at 5 Star Tuning in Florence, SC. That install netted us an additional ~12HP and 12 lb-ft throughout the meat of the rev range, but that wasn’t the end of the story. With SPD’s stainless pipes in place the Raptor just felt faster on the street. I know added exhaust noise often translates to an increased psychological sensation of speed, but I suspected there may be something else afoot.

Fast forwarding yet a couple more weeks, and we found ourselves hitching up our NoBo 19.6 camper and heading north to Norwalk, OH for the NMRA 25th Anniversary Racing Event. SVTP was the presenting sponsor of the event’s SVTP 30th Anniversary Reunion Car Show, so we wanted to arrive in style. There’s nothing like setting up camp and staying on-premises at the track. The modded up Braptor towed great the entire 600 mile trip, especially in the mountains of WV.

On Friday we managed to get two runs in. The first was our best, but we didn’t manage to get any video footage from it. We defiantly figured out the perfect setup for launching off the line without producing the pogo-stick effect we were getting at Darlington. The early run (with somewhat better temps) was a 13.567 @ 98.87 MPH. The 1.923 60-foot time was particularly impressive. We followed that up about 5 hours later with a 13.887 @ 96.65 MPH. Datalogs showed it was pulling timing and boost was down a couple pounds, likely due to much higher temps on the second run.

BRaptor_Norwalk_Run_001.jpg

The data doesn't lie.

We are currently working on picking up another mod (possibly a prototype) that will help us on the street/track, but more on that at a later date. What I really want to do next is test out some blended fuels, specifically mixing in a couple gallons of E-85. I think will help us get a few more degrees of timing on the top end. Ultimately, I want to see this 5,800 pound brick run a 12.99. I think it’s definitely possible with a few more mods. And I love the fact that nothing we have done do enhance performance has degraded our use of the rig. It does everything we ask if it and more. It just makes me want to add another Raptor to the collection…

BRaptor_Norwalk_Run_002.jpg

This may not be the BRaptor's home turf, but she still holds her own at the tree.

BRaptor_Norwalk_Run_004.jpg

Not the best pic, but she handles the little camper well.

-SID297

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I was not expecting that 5800lb curb weight, damn. Still moves out

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats to the B-Raptor! That's impressive. Nice that you're doing a lot of experimenting with performance mods.

Yeah, I was really surprised at the 5,800 lb. weight, too!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wow she's moving out. How's the real world fuel economy?

16 mixed driving. I see ~18 on the highway. All running 93.

Congrats to the B-Raptor! That's impressive. Nice that you're doing a lot of experimenting with performance mods.

Yeah, I was really surprised at the 5,800 lb. weight, too!

Thanks Bob.

ArabianOak

Established Member
so, for less money you can get a used bentley bentayga and be faster? lolololol.

jk...my brother has one of these and loves it.

OX1

Established Member
I just spent 2 days wheeling @ Rausch for the MEB event. Didn't see one Bronco out on the trails. Did see one stockish 2 dr in the lot, so assumed they ran easier trails. Sat was also a jeep event, well over 100 jeeps, where was the 6G representation?? Still waiting for a 6G on 40-42's, that can run with us on SLOPPY east coast obstacles.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I just spent 2 days wheeling @ Rausch for the MEB event. Didn't see one Bronco out on the trails. Did see one stockish 2 dr in the lot, so assumed they ran easier trails. Sat was also a jeep event, well over 100 jeeps, where was the 6G representation?? Still waiting for a 6G on 40-42's, that can run with us on SLOPPY east coast obstacles.

Statistically, I'm not surprised.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Nice runs! Did you try them with different tires?

Too bad Adam at ZFG doesnt have a tune for BRaptors, hes been doing wonders for the ExST's, high 11's/ low 12's with tune and E50.

kaz109

Established Member
Sooooooo is it safe to assume the next thread will be you jumping it?

Users who are viewing this thread