Bringing the 4lb Caged lower back from the Dead?

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
I went by the machine shop that built the pulleys and they are going to build a 1 piece locking hub that will prevent the tribar from over tightening itself. The locking hub will be made of 4140 steel and zinc coated for rust prevention. It will also have a puller hole threaded in it to aid in removal of the locking hub. The good news is with the hub I'll still be able to keep the whole setup under $500.

Now for the bad news, the shop said it would be a approximately 6 week wait time. I'll try to do my best to keep the fire lit under them as me and the shop owners are becoming kinda becoming friends. With the help of Cozmo we're going to proceed on making some 2 piece locking hubs that I'll test. If they prove themselves I'll see about getting the lowers out to the people that are in a rush and can't wait for the 1 piece design.

Hopefully I'll have my car back up and testing in less than 2 weeks...I guess I need to get the parts over to Cozmo.

Ill be ready when they arrive.

joshcarp81

Established Member
Sounds good still.
Even though I think I was one of the early guys that said id buy one, if there are guys that need them and cant wait, I can wait til the one piece hubs are done. I alr3ady have a metco 4 lb lower on so no biggie. Idont know how many extras you have right now versus people that are ready to put up the cash. I do have cash in hand waiting, so if you want to start recouping some funds I can send it whenever.

cj428mach

Established Member
Sounds good still.
Even though I think I was one of the early guys that said id buy one, if there are guys that need them and cant wait, I can wait til the one piece hubs are done. I alr3ady have a metco 4 lb lower on so no biggie. Idont know how many extras you have right now versus people that are ready to put up the cash. I do have cash in hand waiting, so if you want to start recouping some funds I can send it whenever.

Right now 3 of the 10 are spoken for 1 for me, 1 for my friend Waffleman, and 1 for Cozmo2806 for his help. I have a few other people who have been helpful to me over time and mentioned they may wish to have one.

I'm not taking any deposits or reserving any at this point until I have firm dates on when I can deliver the setups ready to go. I'm also still collecting some small parts (the press in studs necessary to hold the locking hub) and I'm going to provide the bushing material as well.

Hopefully I can scrounge up some hex shaft tomorrow and get it mailed off to Sam tomorrow or thursday at the latest so we can keep things rolling.

FYI the Machine shop said they made 2 extra pulleys but I haven't paid for them and they may not be anodized I'll have to check on them. I also hope this isn't the last run....if everyone is happy with them there will be more you just may have to wait as I don't ever anticipate just keeping them "in stock" all the time.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I've been helpful, well kind of. :rolling:

Yes you have Brad but I think you're worse than most of us when it comes not driving our cars. I have yet to even see a picture of your car yet...I think its one of those cars that hides in the garage under a cover in perfect condition. I need people that can tell me if the pulleys work! :p:p:p

But in all seriousness though you, SID and SVTP have been very nice to me and I do appreciate that. LOL at the rate this is going I can sell you one at my cost which might end up being more that what the normal selling price is! :lol1:

Last night I ordered enough bushings to cover all the pulleys. I also have found a place that can provide me the exact studs I want for the locking hub, now I'm just waiting on their quote.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I've had shit loads of pics of it over the years on here Mike.
013-2.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
I've had shit loads of pics of it over the years on here Mike.

I was just teasing you Brad, I know it was your sig pic for a little bit. Thats a great looking car!

Its just normally I see you trying to keep us :smmon: in line rather than posting about your car so I had to jab you a bit, lol.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So you DO have a cobra....:)
It's it the garage somewhere under a cover. Lol. It does need a new battery.
I was just teasing you Brad, I know it was your sig pic for a little bit. Thats a great looking car!

Its just normally I see you trying to keep us :smmon: in line rather than posting about your car so I had to jab you a bit, lol.
That's kinda how it is anymore Mike. Life in general has been busy, so not much time for the car or other toys.
Sorry for the thread jack, carry on.

Franco

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance but I have been lurking on this thread for a while and I totally understand the difference in the lower pulley being smaller, but what does it mean to be caged. I'm sorry if it's a dumb question just intrigued.

chipmonk

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance but I have been lurking on this thread for a while and I totally understand the difference in the lower pulley being smaller, but what does it mean to be caged. I'm sorry if it's a dumb question just intrigued.

The cage bolts to the front of the motor and stops the pulley from moving up and down under stress. When the pulley moves up or down it makes the crank wear on the bearings.

Franco

Established Member
The cage bolts to the front of the motor and stops the pulley from moving up and down under stress. When the pulley moves up or down it makes the crank wear on the bearings.

That explains it, thanks. The stock pulley is caged?

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Yes that's why Mike is trying to get us a larger lower pulley that's still caged. All the aftermarket options available discard the factory cage. Many have had success with no cage others have had damage and even snapped crank shaft snouts which is why some, myself included, refuse to run a lower without a cage.

cj428mach

Established Member

Im not sure where the term caged lower came from I always think of it as supported.

If you look at the various exploded pics in my thread you'll see that the "caged" stock lower is supported on a bracket bolted to the block driven by a drive shaft.

All the current aftermarket lowers delete the support bracket/rubber shock absorbing bushings and bolt a solid unsupported pulley to the crank.

cj428mach

Established Member
As for an update I stopped into the Machine shop and picked up my tribar/drive assembly this morning.

The owner went over the plan on the locking hub with me and I must say I love going there because I always learn something, lol. He is planning to make the hex shaft that goes into the 14mm hole a little oversized. He noticed the looseness in the machining of the original 14mm hex hole and was going to add a little material to help prevent any "rocking" inside the hex of the driveshaft.

This may mean the end user has to sand the drive slightly to get it to fit we'll just have to see. The hex shaft I gave him was mint and depending upon how many times a lower has been on or off the hole can be fairly sloppy. I hope the extra material will help even the most abused lowers fit up tight.

The some lowers will also require "clocking" upon reassembly so the locking hub fits correctly. I need to find some nice small shims for this either that or the end user may just have to sand a little off the bottom of the lower to get the tribar in the correct orientation to the hex shaft.

MMT told me they were going to try to get right after designing the locking hubs into CAD and they said they'd do there best to rush the production of them. We'll just have to see, as a large majority of their work is gun parts and aircraft parts. The gun business is certainly booming as of late lol. While I had their ear I asked of the possibility of designing a hardened steel driveshaft and tribar assembly. They told me it was possible and that it might be reasonably affordable to the people that want an all out max lower. We both agreed that is a project for the future though.

Users who are viewing this thread