Broke into the 11's and killed 2 Camaros

svt1111

Established Member
Went to MusclePalooza at Lebanon Valley, NY yesterday.

Last time I drag raced, I ran my 28-11.50-16 ET Street Bias Plys, I felt it was too much tire ( too tall). So I theorized a switch to a 26-11.50-16 would drop 2 tenths off my previous best of 12.12 at 115.

First pass:

7.75 @ 92.08
11.998 @ 116.04

Second pass:

7.70 @ 94.44
11.97 @ 115.36

DA was 1874, corrects to a 11.73 at 118.53

So all in all, the car loved the 26" tall tire.

On my first pass I ran against a new Camaro with a nasty sounding cam. I thought he might smoke me, car sounded so nasty. He went 12.7 at 112. Second pass I raced a new Camaro convertible with all sorts of Pep Boys Bowties all over it. He went 14.5 at 101, lol. It was an SS.

I am very happy with how the car performed. Have to confess that I was a little nervous on my first run being at a new track and all. I couldn't tell where the finish line was so I assumed I was done with my pass and took the first return road exit off of the track and that made me have to brake heavily, and as I was doing so, the cammed SS blew past me so I thought I didn't make a full pass, lol!

Backing up the 11.998 with the 11.973 encouraged me and I think in good, fall air, it should go well into the 11's. No shift lockout WHATSOEVER since my AED tune. Clean, 8rpm shifts all day long. I honestly think this tune is the cure for the shift lockout, in conjunction with other hardware mods like the clutch line, and return spring removal being the only two. I've not missed a shift since getting the tune.

svt1111

Established Member
Thanks Burnin,

I think a set of skinnies will drop 2 more tenths maybe.

Dadz500

Established Member
Those are some great times. Be proud of your driving skills! One of these days I have to give it a shot at the track, I have never been to a drag strip. I am sure my times would suck but it would be fun.

Mnstr50

Established Member
These are solid numbers, great job!

I'm also curious to know your other mods. Are you on the top of 4th at the end of the run, or do you have to shift into 5th?

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
I was gonna bring my new 12 Boss to the strip for its initial thrashing....ive done zero mods except a roush axelback and have not activated/programmed the track key because i intend to mod my car a bit rendering the track key tune useless.....i figure it would run somewhere in the 12's on a bias ply tire so your definately flying and thats great to see.....im also wondering what other mods u have done and did you have to shift into 5th at all....i dont have 26" tall tires and intend to use/borrow my 28' tall slicks from my shelby to make a few runs and hoping the 28's keep me out of 5th.....also how high were you launching and what rpm were you shifting at...??

svt1111

Established Member
Thanks guys-

The car has a 3" off road X pipe and Steeda CAI. I ran the street tune from AED. 26-11.50-16 ET Street bias ply's. That's it. Stock heavy front wheels, lol.

I'm just an average driver. The car is pretty easy to drive. It hooks well and there are no surprises with the power band.

I was launching around 5k. No clutch drop, just a quick slip and then flat foot the throttle.

I removed the clutch pedal assist spring, added JHR clutch line, and Motul RBF 600 fluid. I was still getting lockout above 7,200 but after I added Shaun's tune, I've never had a lockout issue since. Two trips to the track with his tune and I have to think it's no coincidence, lol.

Allhkeinz- take it to the track. Run it on the stock tires before you do anything. I got a 12.44 at 114 in mineshaft air with mine on a 1.99 bone stock, stock tires. I couldn't shift over 7,200 because of lockout back then though. With the 28's, they destroy your final drive ratio and kill your back half speed. I already experimented with this, like you, using tires and wheels left over from my GT500. USE 26" tires- you can make it through the traps in 4th no problem. Since I didn't datalog, I don't know for sure but it seemed like the car was turning around 7,200 rpm through the traps. Was still pulling even at that engine speed.

I think with skinnies and mineshaft air and this car would bounce into the mid to high 11's no problem.

A lot of people at the track all commented about the video of the AED Boss eating the ZL1 that was on YouTube. It surprised me so many people saw that and commented on it to me. Especially since I had seen that video too and that week ordered my tune from Shaun, lol.

steveofiveo

Established Member
Nice job ! Glad to see the tires helped you out. Not sur if you remember me but i met you up at eping a couple weeks ago. I can't wait to see what you do when the air gets cooler.

S

svt1111

Established Member
Nice job ! Glad to see the tires helped you out. Not sur if you remember me but i met you up at eping a couple weeks ago. I can't wait to see what you do when the air gets cooler.

S

Hey Steve!

Of course I remember! Was good to meet you that day. I forget your buddy's name but please tell him I never got the email video of David and I racing with his Shelby! Would love to see it, lol!

When you going to put some boost on your 5.0? Nudge, nudge, lol.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Those are great times! most of the camaro guys throw cams and thats it!( bolt on they say) :lol1:

steveofiveo

Established Member

S

He emailed me the video and i just plain forgot to send it. I'll whip it over today. As for the blower, I'm seriously thinking about it just need to scrape up some cash.

S

svt1111

Established Member
Those are great times! most of the camaro guys throw cams and thats it!( bolt on they say) :lol1:

Thanks. I had no idea what LS3 cammed Camaros even ran for times, so when I heard his car I thought " uh oh, here we go...lol" Seems to me that they run mid 12's under great conditions from what I can gather online. Haven't seen enough in person to make a real world judgement. It did sound good though, lol. "Bolt on", that's funny.

He emailed me the video and i just plain forgot to send it. I'll whip it over today. As for the blower, I'm seriously thinking about it just need to scrape up some cash.

S

No problem at all, just PM me if you still need my email address. Thanks!

NJSP117

Established Member
Nice numbers! And always good to see a couple nice Camaro thrashings! LOL!! Keep up the good work! :beer:

svt1111

Established Member
I tried 26 inch tall but could not control wheel spin.28 inch I seem to get more traction.

Could have been track prep or tire condition????

I noticed ZERO traction difference between the smaller height tire. Both my 28's and 26's are the same exact width. Just a slightly smaller sidewall on the 26.

Unrealford

Established Member
My 26 x9 inch are mounted on 2004 Mach1 wheels with wrong wheel offset.

My 28 inch are on RaceStar 15x10s

I shift without power shifting...

Last edited:

cjmclean

Established Member
Just curious if you adjusted the shocks? I had my best run with them still on 2. I tried setting the rear down to 1 and the fronts at 5 but got really bad wheel hop and had to abort. Best 60' I have pulled with the stock tires is 2.00.

Users who are viewing this thread