Bruce's Secret Weapon

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce,

I want to thank you for allowing me to win a rather sizeable wager from a fellow club NWSC member. I bet you wouldn't run a time below a 2:26 and my friend did. I told him it is hard to get a car sorted after one track event but he would not listen to me. I owe you a beer. Thanks.

Doug

Ok Doug, I'll take you up on your beer anytime! :beer:

I'm one step closer to a 2:26 thanks to my new G-Stream wing! :-D Hopefully now I won't be crapping my pants every time the car gets over 100 MPH.

I have been jagging around with this wing mount for a lot longer than I care to admit! But I must say it turned out VERY trick! It's very sturdy and should take downforce numbers in the 500# range quite easily.

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the wing mount so additional parts had to be fabricated and that is what has taken so long. But it's done except for a little paint touch-up at this point.

Now off to Marv's for the Agent 47 SLA front suspension and I can finally kick that KB junk to the curb! ;-):poke::p

Here are some wing install photos:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I hope you added a sizeable front splitter to go along with that spoiler!!!

Yep! :thumbsup:

SNW%20RA%2009%20front%20aero.jpg

That was the prototype. The new one will be slightly lower with a greater angle and have side sail panels to go along with it. :-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
EXCELLENT! You should be VERY happy with the results!

My guess is you are correct! :-D

Last year at Road America I was expecting more from the Steeda spoiler than what I actually got. :dw: The splitter gave me so MUCH front downforce the car was poorly balanced and drove scary loose at speed. I know hindsight is always 20/20, but what I should have done was remove the front splitter and see if the car would have driven better. :shrug:

Can't go back now, so it's off to a new chapter in the saga of "Bruce's Secret Weapon". Which has occasionally been referred to lately as "The Blue POS" :lol:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
As many of you already know, the original motor we had built for this car was a sour one. It had head gasket problems which lead to inscessant overheating issues. :(

Since the motor was coming out again I figured now would be the best time to go forward with the custom long tube header fab work. Little did I know it was going to take this long but...................finally they are complete. Along with a custom Nascar style boom tube side exhaust system. They are getting ceramic coated now but here's a shot of the headers and collectors pre coating:

flattrack53

Established Member
Bruce, you would be my hero if you made me a set :) Awesome job!! Would I be better off sending you a blank signed check this time?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, you would be my hero if you made me a set :) Awesome job!! Would I be better off sending you a blank signed check this time?

Scott:

I don't have this kind of patience so needless to say I wasn't the one doing the job. Not to mention I can't weld like that either! :(

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Whoa! Bruce, you've got to spill the beans on those headers. Since I've started to TIG, I'm curious about a number of things (if you can answer)...

- The flanges. Were those laser or water cut? They don't look to be plasma but that picture isn't the clearest.

- I assume the stainless wire I see bent into a 'u' shape and welded onto either side of a joint is so that a turnbuckle can be installed to draw the pipes together and then removed. Yes? Are the joints ever finish welded or do they stay sealed after a few heat cycles? I'm just wondering if they'd leak if they weren't eventually welded.

- Did the fabricator simply use a series of pre-bent (as well as straight) sections of tube and thus not have to bend anything?

- Is the tubing 304 and was the filler rod 308L?

- How many hours were put into those?

- Finally, the fabricator purged or back gassed the tubing (to prevent sugaring), yes?

Sorry for the interrogation but I have a huge appreciation for that type of work and am trying to better understand it from a fabrication standpoint.

Thanks.

Tob

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Tob:

See my replies in red:

Whoa! Bruce, you've got to spill the beans on those headers. Since I've started to TIG, I'm curious about a number of things (if you can answer)...

- The flanges. Were those laser or water cut? They don't look to be plasma but that picture isn't the clearest. I'm pretty sure he purchased those flanges to the head. I know he had to make (on his mill) the adapter plates (not shown) because the head has the tapped holes on the sides of the ports.

- I assume the stainless wire I see bent into a 'u' shape and welded onto either side of a joint is so that a turnbuckle can be installed to draw the pipes together and then removed. Yes? There are springs that go onto those loops to hold everything together. Are the joints ever finish welded or do they stay sealed after a few heat cycles? No they don't get welded. It's so the assembly can be put on and taken off more easily by disassembling it. I'm just wondering if they'd leak if they weren't eventually welded. No, it's a fairly close tolerance fit where these slip together.

- Did the fabricator simply use a series of pre-bent (as well as straight) sections of tube and thus not have to bend anything? Yes, he buys his bends and tube pre-bent.

- Is the tubing 304 and was the filler rod 308L? Yes.

- How many hours were put into those? No clue. He's had the damn car since last May and I've been riding his ass since Labor Day!! :cryying:

- Finally, the fabricator purged or back gassed the tubing (to prevent sugaring), yes? Yes, gas purged or back-gassed.

Sorry for the interrogation but I have a huge appreciation for that type of work and am trying to better understand it from a fabrication standpoint. No problem. I'll get more pics up after they come back from ceramic coating. :-D

Thanks.

Tob

Users who are viewing this thread