Bruce's Secret Weapon

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
We'll need to see some pics of yours soon! Unless it's too "far out" at this point!!?? :poke:

I don't think much has changed since the last pictures I posted of it. I've been too busy to work on it much and the next step is putting a cage in so I need to save up some money for a tubing bender and welder:uh oh:

Someday it will come to life:lol:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Bruce64.gif

That blue 2004 is certainly famous.

It still aggravates me that after all of the tech that was delivered throughout the build of this car, the silly people at Nasa banned the car from AI because of a small technicality.

I will state that they only reason that it was banned from AI is because many of the other politically-connected AI competitors that were simply frightened by it. Their little panties got in a wad.

Congratulations Bruce. That car (less engine) would cost $100,000 to build if you hired a professional race shop to build it.

Nonetheless, you should run a few races (while sandbagging) in your region of Nasa. Then take that monster to Utah for next year's Nationals and kick some butt.

In the final awards ceremony, please do your best Schumacher salute.:D

Bruce1.jpg

Cobra-R

Established Member
I will state that they only reason that it was banned from AI is because many of the other politically-connected AI competitors that were simply frightened by it. Their little panties got in a wad.

Looks great Bruce!!!!!! Can't wait to see you racing it.

Doc,

Just curious, would be love to know who these politically connected competitors are, if you can't say here, pm me.

Brian

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
RE - AI Legality:

I think that most of you can probably guess my opinion on whether or not this car should be legal in AI. I will not go into detail on it as that was hashed out years ago, but I will say this.

I find it very interesting that this car was disallowed because of the rear suspension (the notches could have been addressed but the modified IRS carrier was the nail in the coffin) while the series has started allowing some things which in my personal opinion, are far beyond the intent of the rules; i.e. carbon fiber body work, Chevrolet engines in Ford chassis', awful looking "body work" which adds 2" of track width, 18" wheels ect.

I feel that had the rules stayed within the intent of the original concept of AI that that car would be running out front at the national level. But it was not to be per the "leadership" of the organization. It's a damn shame, in the brief time the car ran in AI it was certainly competitive and with development time it would have only gotten faster.

bpt

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Great news!

A truly worthy Ford aficionado now owns one of the most well thought out SN95/new edge race cars I've ever had the privilege to see, although only via the internet.

What a great match up!:rockon::beer::bowdown:

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
Yay! Finally! I cant wait to see some videos of that bad boy in action! :beer:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Just curious, would be love to know who these politically connected competitors are, if you can't say here, pm me.
Brian, I honestly do not remember the user names (much less the real names) of the players. This car was discussed on several message boards. I don't even remember the Nasa officials and am not sure if they are even still involved.

It was really a shame that it happened. I don't know how many pictures were taken and questions answered through the build of the car. It was an excellent tutorial for anyone who wanted to build a race car. I don't know if On Track kept a "hits" calculation, but I'd bet it was huge. Then the car was featured in one (or two?) magazines.

The car was a great marketing tool for Nasa. Then other current competitors started complaining. It was banned. A lot of people (including me) lost respect for the series.

As Brian mentions above, the people in charge said that it had an illegal rear suspension. I never saw anything but a vague rule that was used to ban it. After they banned the car, they circled their wagons and refused to budge. I even sent them an email. They answered my email in such a flippant manner that I voted with my checkbook; I didn't send in the renewal for my Nasa license.

AI has a great formula with its weight and horsepower limits. What advantage would that rear suspension make? I'd say that it is so insignificant that it can't be measured. Now the car did have one big advantage as it was built from scratch with a lot of thought and engineering. The car raised the bar in IA, and I think that is why it was banned.

It's all water under the bridge now. There is no shortage of racing series and open track events around here. There are about ten times as many events than my budget can afford. I am going to a meeting (Oct. 2nd) about a new country club race track that is being built in this area (or is supposed to be built). I haven't mentioned to my wife that we may become country club members. :-D
• $35,000 initiation fee (Discounted from $50,000- limited during preconstruction only)
• No monthly dues for life
• No daily use fees for life
• Founding member recognition (privileges listed above)
• Full private membership privileges including access to all member-only amenities
• Two personalized lockers in the member locker room
• Lifetime membership for immediate family
• Prime pit spots
• Early entry into events
• Full karting membership and privileges
• Access to private showers, membership deck, Starbucks, personal parties in membership lounge
• Daily guest fee is $250, 4 free guest passes annually, guest may come only twice annually
• Membership is saleable and transferable, fee of 25%, annual dues apply to new member
• Only 25 available preconstruction, subject to Interview prior to acceptance
http://www.atlantamotorsportspark.net/

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
RE - AI Legality:

I think that most of you can probably guess my opinion on whether or not this car should be legal in AI. I will not go into detail on it as that was hashed out years ago, but I will say this.

I find it very interesting that this car was disallowed because of the rear suspension (the notches could have been addressed but the modified IRS carrier was the nail in the coffin) while the series has started allowing some things which in my personal opinion, are far beyond the intent of the rules; i.e. carbon fiber body work, Chevrolet engines in Ford chassis', awful looking "body work" which adds 2" of track width, 18" wheels ect.

I feel that had the rules stayed within the intent of the original concept of AI that that car would be running out front at the national level. But it was not to be per the "leadership" of the organization. It's a damn shame, in the brief time the car ran in AI it was certainly competitive and with development time it would have only gotten faster.

bpt

I agree Brian, it really doesn't make any sense. I can understand if they didn't want an exotic "one off" independent rear suspension but this was something that anyone could buy through Kenny Brown. It would have been very easy for them to allow this suspension and still not go down the "slippery slope" they always seem to be fearing.

All water under the bridge but it's still a shame. I'm glad to see it will be on the track fairly soon.:beer:

b4409

Established Member
I agree Brian, it really doesn't make any sense. I can understand if they didn't want an exotic "one off" independent rear suspension but this was something that anyone could buy through Kenny Brown. It would have been very easy for them to allow this suspension and still not go down the "slippery slope" they always seem to be fearing.

All water under the bridge but it's still a shame. I'm glad to see it will be on the track fairly soon.:beer:

I can't really agree with you guys for fear of being "banned" by the "politically connected" in AI.

So I won't :-D

Seriously, what a beautiful car! If I knew then what I know now - it would be in another Bruce's garage. :beer: Oh, the irony of that KB suspension in Bruce's garage!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Brian, I honestly do not remember the user names (much less the real names) of the players. This car was discussed on several message boards. I don't even remember the Nasa officials and am not sure if they are even still involved.

Doc,

I was not in the "loop" so to speak at the time, but didn't realize this was something political. I agree Brian and Mark got the short end of the stick after getting the green light and later having it recinded. I have lost alot of respect for the said sanctioning body the last few years as well, but this could have been easily fixed and the car raced with very little work.

It will be great to see the car on the track again. Congrats Bruce!!

Brian

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
So what was done to this rear end to make it so awesome to AI?
You'll need to talk to Nasa about that.

It involved "modifying" the chassis as delivered from Ford I believe.
You do know that everyone will be gunning for you when you're in the blue car? Are you going to dail in enough horsepower to take care of them? :-D

:poke: Are you going to let BT and MW drive the car? :burnout:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Badass car man:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Wow is all I can say!!!

You should setup a friendly little race with that yellow Corvette race car in your neck of the woods. I hear it's pretty fast.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
You do know that everyone will be gunning for you when you're in the blue car? Are you going to dail in enough horsepower to take care of them? :-D

Doc, I'm pretty sure HP won't be an issue! ;-)

:poke: Are you going to let BT and MW drive the car? :burnout:

I think it's only fair. I'm sure they would get a kick out of driving it. :dancenana:

Badass car man:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Wow is all I can say!!!

You should setup a friendly little race with that yellow Corvette race car in your neck of the woods. I hear it's pretty fast.

If you'll take a close look at my first post, you'll notice that I conveniently omitted the C6-R when I listed the cars up for ass whoppin's! :read:

;-):poke::p

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If you'll take a close look at my first post, you'll notice that I conveniently omitted the C6-R when I listed the cars up for ass whoppin's! :read:

;-):poke::p

I bet you could keep it close in this beast. You're one helluva friver, which is 3/4 of road racing.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I may have emailed the Corvette Racing Team to give them an opportunity to race Bruce's new blue car.

Ron Fellows said there was no way he'd race that blue Ford. He said Bruce was cheating with that new engine.

Bruce65.gif

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I may have emailed the Corvette Racing Team to give them an opportunity to race Bruce's new blue car.

Ron Fellows said there was no way he'd race that blue Ford. He said Bruce was cheating with that new engine.

Bruce65.gif

I'd be honored to have Ron Fellows blow my doors off on the track! :bowdown:

He can get away with it. ;-)

Hell with the race team, I was talking about that privateer guy who built his own C6R that is unrestricted. That thing is crazy fast and that sequential shifter is just tits. I think Fall Line Motorsports built it.

Users who are viewing this thread