Buying an 01 F-250 7.3 what should I look for.

03DANNY

Time served
Established Member
The truck has some miles it has 186,000 it is a 01 F-250 4x4 XLT crew cab shortbed. It is white and appears to be in ok shape specially for the price 9,700. Is this a good price? What should I look for upon purchasing? I will be picking it up Sunday 10-29-07. I plan to update all the badging to the 05, replacing the front end with an 05, changing the 4x4 decals to FX4, and will be installing the 20" polished wheels from an 05. I will also be painting the mirrors and handles white also. What is the best way to level out the truck. It has leaf springs in the front. Do all the f-250's have leaf springs in the front? Any infor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
99-04 had leaf springs, 05-08 had coil. get a leveling kit to level it out. Check for play in the balljoints, u joints, axle joints, check for oil leaks too, the 7.3s are prone to having the oil pan rot off. Other than that you should be fine.

03DANNY

Time served
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up I picked up the truck today in Houston and drove it home 6hrs with no problems. It does appear to have a minor oil leak coming from the rear area of the oil pan. Other than that is was ok for the price I paid. I will udate with pics once I clean it up and do all the cosmetic mods.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Clean the intercooler tubes/connections at each joint. Oil puddles in them with time and can cause them to be able to blow off under high boost conditions.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
What are you plans with the PSD?

Do what you would normally do to check things out such as fluids, +1 on the oil pan.

I'd pull the intake tube off the turbo, observe the compressor wheel - see if it has too much play, in and out and see how much play it has trying to push it towards the inner walls.. there should be practically no movement. Take a good look into the engine valley and down underneath the engine, see if there is any constant leaks of any sort, especially oil.

When I bought my 7.3, I tested the coolant to see how much SCA (Supplemental coolant additives) was in there. I use Fleetguard's test strips

It wouldn't be a bad idea to hook up a good scanner such as Auto Engunity to it and run the cylinder contribution test, injector buzz test, and glow plug test to make sure everything is all in working order, but you should have a good idea once you drive it.

Maybe first oil change or the one after, send a sample off to Blackstone labs just for an analysis.

Last edited:

wicked90lx

Established Member
look for oil leaks around the rear main. Usually the EBP sensor leaks and ppl thinks its rear main. check the air box also, look and see if there are signs of dirt by passing the filter. (thats if if has the stock air box). The alum. pipes have lips on them that wear over time due to vibartions. and the aid of oil blowing threw them blows them off. But other then that. the 7.3 are a good engine. and not much problems with the 4r100 either.

PS clean the connection to the Valve cover gasket harness on both sides. That will make you think you have a bad injector but it can be a bad connection. And the intake heater relay and glow plug relay are commen probs. also

03DANNY

Time served
Established Member
Thanks for all the good infor guys. I haven't checked the oil leak yet. I am doing some cosmetic work first. I installed a leather interior with center console and ordered a wood applique for the dash. I am also installing an 05 Front end ( already have all the parts) I also ordered some lift shackles for the front and 4 new skyjacker shocks. I shoudl be picking up a set of the 5 spoke factory 20's like the king ranch tommorrow. I will post pics once it is done.

01dmax6spd

Banned
put a FTVB in it also, FTVB= Factory Tech Valve Body, it'll save your trans. also, thats a REAL good price. I saw a 97 with 323k miles for 12,900 the other day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread