Buying either Zo6, GT 500, or Twin screw cobra

spincobra03

Established Member
I need help deciding what to buy, its between a used Z06, maybe like an 06. Or a GT 500, or even a KB or whippled cobra. Now im looking to spend at most 37k. What I need help is for some of the GT 500 guys and the Zo6 guys, tell me some of the pros and cons? Driveability? power? comfort? etc, basically anything that can help decide between the two cars. Ive owned 2 cobras and know what to expect, while its nice and it will cost me 10-12 k less, im wondering if there is a large difference in the the Z and 500 compared to the cobra, making spending the extra 10-12 grand worth while

spincobra03

Established Member
Everyday car I guess, but I have a winter vehicle and I have a company car, so I only put 10k miles a year on my personal car.

WA 2 FST

Established Member
this is so subjective... I know you're trying to get advice before making a purchase, and there is nothing wrong with that. But it's tough for anyone to know what you want besides _you_.

Do you need a backseat? Are you going to drag race the car at the track? Are you going to road race the car at the track? Do you have funds to mod whichever car you buy? Do you even want to mod the car you buy?

Understand that a GT500 will need ~100rwhp more than a Z06 to outrun it at the dragstrip, and even then it will most likely not outrun it on the top-end... not that doing 170-190mph is something most of us do routinely anyway.

You will certainly find a GT500 for substantially cheaper than a pristine '06-07 Z06 (do not buy a high-mileage one... if you're going to lay out this kind of $$ for a car, get a garage-queen). That will leave plenty of $$ to mod it, and then the sky is the limit... and the GT500 is certainly cheaper to mod than the Z06. But gosh, it doesn't take a lot to get a Z06 to pick up some decent gains as well.

Again, to me the bottom-line question is, "do you want a 2-seat sports car, or a 2+2 performance car?" Both are serious machines that will make you happy, most likely.

Since it sounds like you've never owned a Vette, I would suggest going to drive one. Since you're buying used, a dealer should not have a problem with you taking the car for a lengthy spin over a lunch hour (or longer). I think this will help you make your decision.

Good luck!

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Where are you finding 06 Z06's for 37k?

I don't believe he is... he says later in his post that he wants to know if he is justified spending $10-$12k more for the Z06 over the GT500. I assume he's planning to spend ~$37k for a GT500.

Just my guess:rockon:

XtremeS10

Established Member
I don't believe he is... he says later in his post that he wants to know if he is justified spending $10-$12k more for the Z06 over the GT500. I assume he's planning to spend ~$37k for a GT500.

Just my guess:rockon:

Sounds more like he wants to justify it over a whipple Cobra vs. GT500 / Z06 maybe im wrong? :shrug:

Hell I'll take a Z06, wait, make it 2, at that price!

WA 2 FST

Established Member
could be wrong but you can buy used 06 z06's for less than 40k no?

Only with lots of miles, and most likely not in nearly the shape you would expect if you're paying that kind of coin for a car. Most of the garage-queen '06 models are still in the mid-40s.

I would not compare a 35k mile '06 Z06 to a leftover '08-09 GT500 ... both of which could be had for $37-38k. But that's just me.

spincobra03

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Where to begin, well yes I have seen 06 Zo6's for high 30's (many actually) but I am willing to go to 40k if need be. I figure I can get a GT 500 for upper thirtys. I dont really want a drag car, but perhaps make a pass once a year for fun. I will most certainly test drive both cars but I was just wondering if anyone felt a huge difference in performance/driveability/handling/ of eachetc with cost taken into consideration. What do people consider high milage for an 06 Z? I saw a 30,000 mile Z go for 39K, looked to be in very nice shape. But as you can tell I am new to vettes, nor have I ever driven in one. They seem sweet to drive but im not sure how it would compare to a pullied terminator? I loved both of my terminators, so im wondering if stepping up to a GT 500/ Zo6 is what I should try or just go with a whipple or KB and save some cash? I guess I have to decide, either go twin screw or step up to the classier sports car, just looking for some input of what people think that have owned any of the three? thanks alot guys

COBRA32

Established Member
Vettes have bad resale now days too many on the market. Could have bought a brand new one that listed for 52,000 for 38500 granted its a 2009 leftover but still what a discount. I wish they discounted Shelby's that much I would have an extra one wright know.

magred

Established Member
Vettehound Over 500 Used Corvettes for Sale. Corvette for Sale. This is one of many on this vette site. I dont know much about this site and some of these prices seem very low, but then again I dont know much about vette prices. Maybe someone can make some sense of it.

The vette in your link has a salvaged title. The 2006 Z06s are going for right around mid 40s. Have you considered an LS3? There are 2 that have currently managed sub 12 timeslips. One is an 11.71 and the other is an 11.80. Prices for 08s avg in the mid 30s. Good luck in your search.

spincobra03

Established Member
Come take a spin in my car, then make a decision.

HA HA that would be sweet! Like I said, Im open to anything. Im just trying to figure out what is the best purchase for the money im going to spend. I loved my termi, so im not sure how much more I will love shelby or Z06. Just wondering if putting a twin screw on is the best way to go. I didnt see that Zo6 had a salvage title. I have seen a bunch right around 40K, I havent car faxed any of them. So if im not willing to go over 40K, is the thought a having a Zo6 gone? Its sounding more and more like I may have to just choose between the shelby and twin screw?:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread