cai/rai questions

Tha Skinny

Established Member
Ok, so on my 96 Cobra I have the K&N intake box. It is also untuned. I just had the motor rebuilt last year. Its nothing really special but runs great. Its is .20 over with a Forged bottom end,new heads and all ArP fasteners.My mods are a just a Bassani O/R X pipe and a Steeda Cat back.

I am wondering if ditching the factory inlet tube and either buying an aftermarket piece or just making one as a few members have succesfully done here.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/729819-homemade-cai-rai.html

This is the "intake" setup I am using now, I like it. Although I Never really
drove the car without it so I dont know if it actualy made a difference or not.

Thanks in advance!

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
I have a power pipe for a n/a car that should work great, lmk if you want pictures or anything.

Tha Skinny

Established Member
Sure! I'll take a look.

The thing is, I am kinda impartial to the strut tower bar and I dont really want to get rid of it. The big question i guess now is.... Will an actual intake be better than the K&n setup I have now

Tha Skinny

Established Member
I probably will at some point...and think what you want but they do help. Just my honest opinion form driving vehicles equipped with and without them. I also have the convertible brace under neath. Its noticably different. I drove the same roads hard trying it with out any othe the braces then the strut tower..then the under x brace then withouth the strut and just x brace..different to me everytime. Im also on eibach shocks H&R race springs with just some 03/04 cobra cobra front arms and all urethane bushings.

Tha Skinny

Established Member
so from the sounds of all your experience is there a difference to be had with noticable difference with a full aftermarket intake setup vs what I am using now?

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
so from the sounds of all your experience is there a difference to be had with noticable difference with a full aftermarket intake setup vs what I am using now?

You wont notice a difference with an aftermarket setup VS your stock inlet tube and K&N FIPK setup. Spend your money elsewhere.

97ReoCobra

Established Member
I'm no expert, not even close. But I wonder what measurable gain could be had with a CAI on an engine already getting it's air from the fender well? And I really don't understand having a K&N filter with it's oil, down wind from the MAF sensor?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The stock inlet tube is a CAI and provides enough air for a stock longblock to make max power. Some people say they feel the power gain offered by a CAI but I think it's teh weoght loss to their wallet being much lighter.

mustang3X

Established Member
The stock inlet tube is a CAI and provides enough air for a stock longblock to make max power. Some people say they feel the power gain offered by a CAI but I think it's teh weoght loss to their wallet being much lighter.

Also called the placebo effect, where the performance gain felt is in direct proportion to the money spent and/or time spent on the job.

Quite a few mods out there that make no hp, however there is always the looks aspect, not all mods have to increase hp, if you like how it looks go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread