Can adaptive learning mess a tune up?

RJ13GT

Established Member
I don't know, I'm not a tuner obviously. I had an issue about a month or so ago with some knock retard. It was pulling about 3 degrees at wot. I thought it was the weather change. So I called my tuner. He sent me two new revised tunes one pulling more timing than the other amongst other changes. I loaded it up the new tune and noticed no more knock retard. I thought it was good but yesterday it started doing the same thing again. Pulling 3 degrees at wot. I thought wtf? So I loaded up the most conservative tune and the KR again went away. I started thinking about it The conditions haven't changed from the first time I have noticed the KR. I loaded the previous tune back up and its rock solid with no KR. The timing now maxes out at 14.5' while before i reloaded the tune i was seeing as high as 17'. So I don't get it? It's like after a while the computer starts pushing the timing up.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Are you sure it's pulling timing due to a knock sensor? Your car will pull timing for a variety of reasons from air intakes temps, engine temps and a host of other things.

Users who are viewing this thread