Can you be procescuted for street racing eventhough...

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
... you weren't caught in the act, but somehow later on (weeks go by)... they found out that it was you and have proof of such?

This is just a question. This is not relating to myself or anything of that nature. Just curious.....

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would venture to say that if they have proof .. your (eupemisticly speaking) are in deep doo doo. Much like a bugular who robs a house can be prosecuted when the cops get proof he did it. In today's society I would not want to be caught street racing ... ever ...

One_Fast_C5

Established Member
Originally posted by Ebonybunny
... you weren't caught in the act, but somehow later on (weeks go by)... they found out that it was you and have proof of such?

This is just a question. This is not relating to myself or anything of that nature. Just curious.....

If they have you on Tape.. Yes. Otherwise fat chance.

Ginsu

Established Member
Yup.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
If that's the case, do cops or law agencies go through forums such as this and download video clips of racing and trace them to their original producers and racers?

The clips may not show much, but if they did their homework, I'm sure they can come up with who did what...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Absolutely!!

Here is the scenario. Someone was racing with a group of people, hence a crime according to state or local statute. A complaint was filed. An investigation ensues. The officers/detectives investigating form a case. This case has specific evidence against certain suspects(video, eyewitness accounts, physical evidence, etc). Said subjects are then arrested and the prosecuter decides how to move forward.

Most jurisdictions street racing is being taken much more seriously nowadays. In certain areas it is epidemic in proportion to other crimes and there are innocent people getting hurt.

Even if no video evidence exists, you can still be charged and prosecuted if they feel they have enough other evidence(no matter how circumstantial) to gain a conviction.

Good Luck to you, oops I mean however;-)

0260B4U

Established Member
My guess is they have to have your plate on the tape, as well as you getting into the vehicle, and or driving it. Im sure if you were street racing your peers most likely wouldnt rat you out.

Thats why I have matured and taken it to the track. Of course, there is the occasional freeway run.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
it does not have to be on tape. if an officer see's the act, and was not able to apprehend them right then, he can go and swear out the warrant. so, it doesn't matter when he's caught, the warrant will always be there. if the officer(s) do not see the crime, they have to have what is called reasonable suspicion that a crime has been commited. this decision is based on evidence gathered by such things as video, eye wittnesses. chances are, if the witness is not wanting to persue or testify, or there is no video, it will never go to court.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
You can be prosecuted for anything. It depends on the evidence the prosecutor thinks he has, and the politics involved. The prosecutor has the burden of proof, but YOU have to pay for a defense.

Ginsu

Established Member
Depends on the state, but basicly you can count on license suspension, jail and a butt load of fines. I know NY used to seize cars caught street racing and there are a few other states that do the same.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
in this state, its called, willful spped competetion, or pre arranged drag racing, if fond guilty you loose your vehicle. usually, it takes several offenses for it to be that harsh, 1st or 2nd is usually a fine, 3rd might be probation.....the best defense is just keep it on the track and you wont have to worry about it or endanger other lives who are totally innocent. I know i have a badazz truck, i dont have anything i need to prove to anyone, but if someone wants to own me that bad, we can meet on the track, and i'll own their ass too. lol!

Users who are viewing this thread