Can you identify this limited slip?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what kind of limited slip this is from the attached pictures?

Thanks, Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Dean95CobraR said:
Is that the diff in the Griggs rear end? If so, I'll bet it is a Black Gold.

No it isn't, Dean. This is the axle that was in my race car when I bought it.

I took the rear end apart last night, the failure in the griggs setup was the splines in Gold track where the axle slides in. I am trying to figure out where to go from here, put the old axle back in or fix the Griggs cambered setup. (yes I believe the Griggs setup is the Black gold)

Brian

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
It's also NOT a Detroit Locker.

Jon - Why does it seem that so many people used the Detroit Locker on the IMSA Cobra R's?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I know this is for my 9.75" rear end so the 8.8" may look different but here is a picture of a tru-trac so I doubt it is one of those either.
DSC00113.jpg

Cobra-R

Established Member
So it is either a Eaton or a Auburn? Anybody know how to narrow it down between those two?

Brian

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
pull the spring plates out as if you were trying to get at the c-clips. peek inside. the eaton will have clutches and looks all the world like a chebby 12 bolt posi. the auburn uses cones instead of clutches.

Cobra-R said:
So it is either a Eaton or a Auburn? Anybody know how to narrow it down between those two?

Brian

03'Darin

Established Member
I think this is the same unit in the AS car I just bought. I'll take a closer look tonight. I don't know what it is either. lol But I'd like to know. :-D

03'Darin

Established Member
Did anyone identify this yet? It's the same unit in the car I bought and I can't find a name on it anywhere.

TcM-668

Looks like and Auburn. The Auburn seems to be tapered going away from the ring gear, vs the eaton, which does not taper.

Only one way to be sure, and that would be to pull the spring packs. Not fun I'm sure.

03'Darin

Established Member
Just a little update on this diff information. According to two of the tech guys at Moser Engineering this is an Auburn unit. Upon closer inspection of my unit I found that my case doesn't taper from the ring gear side to the side away from the ring gear like Brian's does. The access holes in the case are still shaped just like Brian's case and the spring arrangement looks identical. I'm assuming this unit is just maybe an older case design.

I was ordering custom axles to both convert over from 4 lug to 5 and get the proper back spacing to run the 18 X 9 FR500 style wheels I was running on my Cobra to fit. I only needed to shorten the axles 1/2 an inch on both sides to get the proper spacing. Besides also massaging the inner fender wells a little. lol Fortunately there is enough room to play with on the axle width that I don't need to alter the housing. Moser actually builds the axle specific for Auburn posi unit rears. Apparently the center pin Auburn uses is different that all of the other diffs. Moser machines the "nub" slightly larger (I can already hear your minds working on that statement... lol) to reduce axle play with the smaller diff pin.

Users who are viewing this thread