can you use a stock belt with a 2lb lower

It should come with hardware, aka three new bolts. I have heard of people using the stock belt just fine, but my guess is only because they were stretched old ones. You increase the "diameter" by one inch so personally I don't see how it would werk. Get a Gatorback

speeder

Established Member
You can use the stock belt on a 2lb lower and 4lb lower with out any problems, the lower pulley should come with its own hardware.

Konig

Established Member
I couldnt use the stock belt...unless you ground off the tensioner stop. It wasnt even close on my 2#er..I had to order a gator back which fit perfectly...you dont want a super tight belt...the bearings in the blower nose cant take the strain...they are bad enough as it is from Ford.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I used my stock belt when i ran a 2lb lower no problems and it still had some movement in the tensioner. When i put the 4lb lower on i got a new belt from napa i think it is a gates and it has worked for 2 years no slipage lots of WOT

Konig

Established Member
what brand of pulley do you guys have? I wonder why there would be a difference. I installed mine the same day as a friend of mine, neither of our stock belts would fit...we bought the same REM 2#er

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Right now I have the interchangable Metco 2#er and used my stock belt just fine. I still have movement in the tensioners, so I know that they are not maxed out. My L only had 1300 miles on it when I put the 2#er on too, so that belt wasn't stretched out. Keep in mind, just because all the companies say they have a 2# pulley, they all make them on different machines and in different ways, that's going to lead to some people being able to use their stock belt and some people not being able to reuse the stock belt.
Just my thoughts.

I would recommend though, if you ever think about changing the blower pulley, make sure that you get one that is interchangable, just like the crank pulley, that way you aren't having to go through the pain of pressing off and pressing on the blower pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread