car is smoking bad out the exhaust and out of the filter on the cam covers?

silver93

Established Member
i have a 2004 cobra with a kenne bell blower the car makes 19 psi i made a hit on the car ran it threw 4th gear and shut it down. i didnt notice any smoke out the car till after i killed the car and when i cranked it back up i seen all the smoke come out of it. drove down the road anddidnt see any smoke and then all of a sudden i see the smoke again. oil pressure is fine collant level and temp is fine and the motor runs smooth. when you give it gas it smokes like a train and like i said im noticing smoke coming out the filter on the cam cover. what do you guys think it is. im new to these mod motors. would it be a head gasket or rings. the car dyno 638rwhp ive only had the car 3 weeks now. any help with this would be great and how hard is it to pull the motor out of these cars. the car has 47,000 miles on it also.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
bad blowby by way of valve cover breather/oil fill cap is usually a sign of ring failure, and or burnt piston.... sorry but its rebuild time more than likely

silver93

Established Member
see you are from lousiana also any advice on any one to do the job and what would this cost to do

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
where you at from out here? I just did mine, it was a piece of cake, in and out.... just need a little space to work

silver93

Established Member
I live in addis right outside of baton rouge. This is my first mod motor I've had some supercharged cars but they were all Windsor motors. It just looks a bit overwhelming. Not trying to be nosey buy what does a job like this run. I know everything is higher on these cars the the old ones and is it easier to pull the motor out the top or bottom of the car

silver93

Established Member
i did a compression test on the car all the cylinders are between 150-180. all the plugs look fine except #7 cylinder the plug was real wet but that cylinder had 180 pounds on the compression check. i did notice the blower fluid was real low i havent put 500 miles on the car since i bought it and it was full when i got the car because i looked at it. could it be a seal in the blower leaking fluid into the cylinder causing it to smoke is that possible on a kenne bell blower. the car runs fine and there is no noise are anything.

Sharpie281

Established Member
im having the same exact problem with my 03 with a kb 2.8. car was fine when i put it away in october. car uns great with great response and feels strong as its ever been. seems to smok alittle at idle and when i get into it alittle. comp test shows all at 155. my pcv system is a guess. its setup witha valve on the driver side and dirrectly into the intake on the pass side.

subscibing to this thread. keep me posted on any finds or ideas

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
i did a compression test on the car all the cylinders are between 150-180. all the plugs look fine except #7 cylinder the plug was real wet but that cylinder had 180 pounds on the compression check. i did notice the blower fluid was real low i havent put 500 miles on the car since i bought it and it was full when i got the car because i looked at it. could it be a seal in the blower leaking fluid into the cylinder causing it to smoke is that possible on a kenne bell blower. the car runs fine and there is no noise are anything.

See if you can get a leak down done on it.

I doubt you are smoking from blower oil, though I would not ignore that issue.
KBs used to blow oil out on some of the earlier models, I don't remember oil ingestion being a common issue.

No different engine sounds at idle or otherwise?
A wet #7 plug is a concern for sure. Wet with oil or fuel?

silver93

Established Member
no the motor runs fine it just smokes it ass off. it was the # 6 cylinder and not 7 my bad. all the plugs look like they were burning real clean but had a brown tint to them. #6 plug was wet i like it had fouled out but it was wet from gas also. that cylinder had a 180 pounds on the compression test.

silver93

Established Member
going buy a leak down tester today. ill up date and let yall know whats the out come on it. i also pulled the blower off the car. the intercooler does have some oilly resedue on it and a little coolant got in the lower intake taking the blower of and i could see oil in the coolant as well. drained the blower and it has about 1oz of fluid come out of it it holds 5 to 6oz. i only went maybe 2 miles from when i first seen it smoke to my house. did another compression test yesterday and all cylinders are between 160-170. kenne bell said if it is the seals im looking at about $700 bucks to have it fixed and if they find anything else it could go up from there. im thinking have the blower checked out first before i go any farther on the car i mean the fluid had to go somewhere and its not wet anywere on the outside of the blower.

silver93

Established Member
well guys i talked to a few people and looks like its the oil ring on number 6 piston causing this smoke. the guy said you will get a good compresion reading but it wont be long the compression rings will go. he said for them to do the hole job it would be about 5000 if i do it my self i could cut that price in half. does this sound possible to yall?

Driver500

Established Member
Who is giving you that quote? What all is included?
I'm in Baton Rouge and know a few mechanics who could help you out. Pm me though. I prob won't see this thread again on tapatalk.

soldierstang04

Established Member
Damn hate to hear this! I have a friend who just bought a cobra and the same thing happened to him. He is waiting for his taxes to come in so he can start his rebuild

91svtcoupe

TTop SVT Coupe
Established Member
I haven't posted here but I have talked to silver93 through PM's several times.

I can't say if this is a freak thing or what.....None of us will know untill we find out whats happening....

I feel he knows there was nothing wrong with the car when he got it. I still feel so bad.....But Im hoping for the best. I have talked to Some people to try and help but Im a parts changer not a Mech/Engine Builder.

JD you know Im hoping for the best........and any more info I can give you I will.

Users who are viewing this thread