Car smoking badly at WOT

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Hey guys,

So my car has smoked for a long time, but it was never really too bad to worry about. Well after doing a cruise people kept telling me how bad it smokes after I go WOT. Tonight I drove home for about an hour and at the end I did a run in frist to the top of second and i could see smoke pouring out of my car in the headlights of the car behind me. I just saw it in my rear view as always, but I think it's white. It is definitely not normal.

I have o/r pipes, but it's not just that. I also may have a compression leak because my spark plug threads are messed up, which I will be fixing soon with some new heads. Maybe I'll get lucky and be forced to forge the shortblock lol.

Possible causes?

Last edited:

albino96

Established Member
I already have new heads in my garage. I will be installing them with some friends, but I have just been putting it off. What would actually be happening in the heads if that is the cause?

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
White smoke from the exhaust = coolant, not oil.

True, your heads could be warped too (on top of spark plugs threads messing up) which could cause the head gaskets to leak.

Oil would be blue smoke. How much oil are you running?

albino96

Established Member
True, your heads could be warped too (on top of spark plugs threads messing up) which could cause the head gaskets to leak.

Oil would be blue smoke. How much oil are you running?

Then again in you're rear view mirror blue smoke and white smoke look the same. Especially at night. I had it changed last time because it's a bitch to change my car with it so low. It is at full on the dipstick when cold though. That is until it loses a bunch and I have to throw another quart in. They put 10w30 in last time though, even though I told them to use 5w30. It has smoked since before then though.

I drive my car a LOT btw. 146,xxx I think.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Then again in you're rear view mirror blue smoke and white smoke look the same. Especially at night. I had it changed last time because it's a bitch to change my car with it so low. It is at full on the dipstick when cold though. That is until it loses a bunch and I have to throw another quart in. They put 10w30 in last time though, even though I told them to use 5w30. It has smoked since before then though.

I drive my car a LOT btw. 146,xxx I think.

Yeah that's true, can you get a friend to drive it, or follow you and tell you for sure what color the smoke is?

I don't want to start the oil argument in this thread, but I'm one of the 6.5 quart believers, and full on the dipstick may not even be 6. Next time you change it I'd be sure to get at LEAST 6 qts. in there.

albino96

Established Member
Sounds like normal 4V oil consumption to me. lol

Yeah I know. It just seems like a lot because i drive so much. I have to put more in or get a change every month.

Basically, I am replacing the head regardless. I need to know though if this problem will still be there afterwards and I'll have to do the shortblock anyway. I don't want to waste the time and money taking it apart twice. Plus I don't know if it's a good idea financially to forge a motor when the car has 150k on it.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
sounds like valve seals and valve guides are beginning to go. If thats the case, dont worry as your other set of heads will cure this problem.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
if it is burining during start-up id figure that to be valve seals. If it is burning during acceleration would that be a ring problem?

KazooGS-T

Established Member
It could be a bad pcv valve and allowing oil to blow through. You do know cobras consume oil over every oil change period, right? Mine does it too, but I'm going to fix the crappy pcv system and if that doesn't work, I'll do a catch can setup.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
It could be a bad pcv valve and allowing oil to blow through. You do know cobras consume oil over every oil change period, right? Mine does it too, but I'm going to fix the crappy pcv system and if that doesn't work, I'll do a catch can setup.

x2

Cobrakid2006

We Are VENOM
Established Member
i get smoke too after WOT when i Decel but thats it. i think its cause i have a ORH and it seems to be a tad rich. but i'm gonna gonna get her on the dyno here soom hopefully and get a real tune and logging info bout the car.

albino96

Established Member
i get smoke too after WOT when i Decel but thats it. i think its cause i have a ORH and it seems to be a tad rich. but i'm gonna gonna get her on the dyno here soom hopefully and get a real tune and logging info bout the car.

I thought it was just the o/r pipes too, because it used to just be on decel as far as I knew. I then noticed that it happens sometimes on WOT's really bad. I do have a tune though. I think it is a little rich. For some reason when he moved the a/f to 13 it only made like 240 hp :shrug: . My car is wierd. It has never broken down on me though!

Users who are viewing this thread