Carbon Fiber Trunk lid...Paint it or dont paint it

SVT GT

Established Member
I have a Black Mustang and the carbon fiber deck lid is at the body shop right now waiting for the S-281 spoiler to be painted and installed. I was told by a few people to leave it alone and don't paint it, which would save some money in painting costs. Three other ideas came up in the discussion ....

one was to paint just the top of the deck lid and leave the face of it alone while the

second was to paint the face and not the top of the deck lid.

And the Third is to paint the whole thing.

I want to do this once and I'm leaning towards painting the top of the deck lid and leaving the face alone. This way if I still think its too ricey I can cover it with the flat black vinyl or the Honeycomb inserts. I'm just wondering if leaving it unpainted is gonna make it look ricey. I can post a pic with a yellow mustang and the deck lid if someone wants to photo shop the yellow to black.

Thanks

Last edited:

3V2000GT

Established Member
I have a carbon fiber hood on my black car and havnt painted it.-

pictures001123ej0.jpg

SVT GT

Established Member
Checked fitment issue with the trunk and it fits great. The S-281 wing will be on this weekend.

Last edited:

SVT GT

Established Member
The purpose of it was to save weight. I will be around 90lbs removed once this is installed. I will have to go to a scale once its on to get an exact.

(pics removed)

Last edited:

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
Personally, I would paint the whole thing. I would get CF for weight reduction, not for looks IMHO. I would want it working(saving weight) but, not want to advertise that I have it. That is just me though. I think the option that let you at least put the honeycomb over the face of it sounds interesting too if you insist on seeing an option w/ some CF showing.

6spd

Established Member
i think if you paint the top and leave the cf on the "face" panel as if it were a blackout panel it would look really good. especially since the car is black....subtle is best ;)

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
wow that does look badass.... i want one for my cobra so bad, but cant justify the expense at the moment..

i would definately say paint it

SVT GT

Established Member
i think if you paint the top and leave the cf on the "face" panel as if it were a blackout panel it would look really good. especially since the car is black....subtle is best ;)

Ya I'm gonna go that route and see what happens. I washed the Mustang today and then looked at the pics side by side. I like the way it looks but then again I think its a bit much carbon fiber. Plus I really like the color black on our Mustangs and having a good paint on the top of the deck lid would be nice to see.
Thanks all for your opinions, they all helped :beer:

I will post some new pics after the install

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread