Cast iron block vs. Aluminum block

Would you rather have a cast iron block or Aluminum block?

• Cast Iron

Votes: 175 31.9%
  • Aluminum Teksid

Votes: 316 57.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 10.6%

• Total voters

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
1-519-421-2897 Call Sean Hyland and ask him to send you some numbers. Send Bob Cosby, or any of these other guys that are members a PM and ask them.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
OK...JPjr..I will ask a question. But first I will respond to your 3 points.

1. Cost: Yes it is more expensive, but still very affordable.

2. Physically weaker than a harder metal iron block: If you are comparing a bar of aluminum to a bar of Iron you are very correct.

3. I would need to see hard numbers on reliability. What do you mean hard numbers. Do you want to see a Teksid block make 1200 hp right in front of you. I will try to dig up a vid, but it may be a few.

Having said all of that here is my question. It only needs a YES or No answer.

Do you think that the 03/04 Cobra Iron 4.6 liter block is stronger than the 96-99 Teksid 4.6 Aluminum block?

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
Originally posted by snakeeyes99
This post although informative, is also crazy. You iron block supporters aren't listening to the facts.

Fact
Iron is stronger than aluminum. Everyone agrees. Physics proves it. Stop arguing it.

But.......

Fact
If you are racing and all things are equal with engine internals and power adder, the TEKSID aluminum block is the superior block for racing. If it can handle 1200hp, then why are all the iron block guys ranting about the strength issue. WHY WOULDN"T YOU WANT A LIGHTER CAR?? LIGHTER CARS ARE BETTER FOR ACCELERATION AND HANDLING!!!

So get over the fact that you have an iron block that is not as superior for weight savings as the TEKSID aluminum block.

Stop talking about strength. Because both blocks are proven for the power levels you all want to make. What - do you want to move a 747 or something? 1200hp reliability not good enough?

If the TEKSID has been proven and used by SHM for racing, then why the hell would you stick with your iron is better theory?

Better for what?

If you have an aluminum block that can handle the 1200hp, then its clearly an advantage wieght wise over an iron one.
Most of you aren't going to make that kind of power. You'll all be happy with 500-700hp. So if that is about half the stress you could give a Teksid block, then why wouldn't you say its the better choice?

I'll say it straight to you 03-4 cobra owners who are arguing this.

You are slightly pissed at this situation because you have to come with grips that not everything in the car is superior to previous cobras. And that pisses you off because you don't want to be second to anyone in any aspect of the car. I think everyone can understand your situation.

Just take it like a man and realize the facts. If you don't, then you don't have respect for the PROFESSIONALS who work in the field and invest much money into time tesing, research, and racing of all materials/products.

That's their life. Their name is on the on line.
That's the proof.

Lighter is better for racing. That's why they use it.

Do you get it now?????

anyone want to take bets on how many of the aluminum block doubters respond to this well thought out and informative post

my choice for intelligent post of the day right here:beer:

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
So I'm confused now. Is the 99 block the strongest of the aluminum or not? Reading the SHM post, it says up to 98. The other posts say 99..

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Dan, John Mihovetz said the 99 was #1 and the 96-98 #2.
John would be the person to know this but at the same time SHM does also.
But remember John is affiliated with SHM
I would think both blocks are very close meaning you'll be fine with either.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The only thing that is really better about the 99 Teksid block is the design of the main cap, and the way in which it attaches to the block. This limits the crank from walking a little more. But the strength gains are nominal.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I see. I finally post some hard numbers, and everyone is quiet. LOL

Boosted 03

Established Member
My plan is to keep the 03 cobra. But when I build the engine to a level suitable for the power I want I will use a 96 Cobra block and simply swap the heads (ported with Cams) over to the stroked and billet fortified 96 block. Then add a Kenne Bell and a tubular K-member with A-arms and you have a very strong engine + lightweight front end. All which help to bring that front tire up! I am for the Aluminum! It's a no brainer. If I build a Push rod engine it will be a Aluminum Dart block. These blocks have already proven themselves years and years before the 03 cobra was ever dreamed of.
:beer:

Boosted 03

Established Member
Just think,

1. An aluminum Block
2. Tubular K-member and A arms
3. Light weight rims
4. Solid axle
5. Racing seats
6. rear seat delete and no spare or jack

You are sitting at roughly 3,200-3,300 lbs and hooking like a SOB.
With a Kenne bell and slicks you could granny shift into the 10's.

:thumbsup:

The light weight (yet durable ) Teksid block is an important part of the equation.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Originally posted by Boosted 03
My plan is to keep the 03 cobra. But when I build the engine to a level suitable for the power I want I will use a 96 Cobra block and simply swap the heads (ported with Cams) over to the stroked and billet fortified 96 block. Then add a Kenne Bell and a tubular K-member with A-arms and you have a very strong engine + lightweight front end. All which help to bring that front tire up! I am for the Aluminum! It's a no brainer. If I build a Push rod engine it will be a Aluminum Dart block. These blocks have already proven themselves years and years before the 03 cobra was ever dreamed of.
:beer:

This sounds like a very nice set up!

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
Well, I just came back from our Fun Ford Weekend event this weekend, and I Saw John Mijovetz fun a slew of 7.0-7.2 second passes in the 199-202 mph range and I have to say that the aluminum block just plain sucks......:kaboom:

I also had a few minutes to talk to him about his setup and he told me that the 96-01 block is the only block that goes on his car.....Period. He pushes the car to 9500 RPMS on every pass.

The 03 cobra block is a CNC'd 2v gt block.....nothing special. :rollseyes

ITSTOCK

Established Member
I'll take my iron block over the al. block ANY DAY. PERIOD. This way, when I get tired of the car, I can run it into the ocean or river, and it sinks faster. That's my theory at least.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
as soon as I can find a bare aluminum Teksid block that is not over priced I am going to grab it up and hang on to it until my warranty is "officially" up on my 04 Cobra. Then I am going to do a switch-a-roo.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
If it means anything??? BMW changed to Iron block from Aluminum on the new M3's...
They also change oil to 10w60....They were having bearing failures

Imagine if Ford said,,quiet the "TICK" with 60wt oil..............

Jpjr

Established Member
Hissman...

Who the hell conjured up this painful thread?!?! lol...

To answer a question you posted a long time ago.. NO I don't think that the Teksid block is weaker than the iron block in our Cobras. However, a similarly tooled iron block will be stronger than a similarly tooled aluminum block, and generally more reliable (physics) and cheaper. To your point, the aluminum block can be more than strong enough and much lighter= faster.

As for 'reliability', I was not referring to a hp application. I have no doubt in your words that Teksid blocks are making 1200hp. What I really meant was 'longevity'. I don't know about the Teksids but the cookie cutter aluminum motors in GT's have been blowing at 20-30k miles once supercharged. That was what I was originally referring to in this thread ;)

mike69440

Established Member
Weight saving, Iron Vs. Aluminum

The Aluminum Block saves only 80 LB's over iron.

If you install headers, a heavy duty road race worthy Tubular K frame with Coil-Overs & braces and brakes with aluminum hats , you could lighten the front of the car with an aluminum Block 120 to 130 LBS total.

Stock Car weight is 3850 Lbs. with 62/38% F/R distribution , i.e 2385 Lbs on front tires and 1465 on rear.

The above 125 lbs removal would result in 3725 lb car with 60.6/39.4% F/R
weight distribution.

If the Battery were relocated to the trunk You would lighten the Front to 2215 Lbs and the rear would be at 1510 Lbs for a 59.5/40.5 F/R which is still terrible F/R weight distribution.

Long ago Ford should have "fixed" the F Body chassis by the FR500 wheel base stretch. This would have been good for 3% alone!. With the tricks above, the Mustang would have been a balanced car.

Damn that 2005 Mustang! It is set up 53F/47R% I believe! The 2007 Cobra won't be that balanced but even at 57%/43 % it will be much better than our cars.

So where can I get a good 99 Teskid block?

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Jpjr said:
Hissman...

Who the hell conjured up this painful thread?!?! lol...

To answer a question you posted a long time ago.. NO I don't think that the Teksid block is weaker than the iron block in our Cobras. However, a similarly tooled iron block will be stronger than a similarly tooled aluminum block, and generally more reliable (physics) and cheaper. To your point, the aluminum block can be more than strong enough and much lighter= faster.

As for 'reliability', I was not referring to a hp application. I have no doubt in your words that Teksid blocks are making 1200hp. What I really meant was 'longevity'. I don't know about the Teksids but the cookie cutter aluminum motors in GT's have been blowing at 20-30k miles once supercharged. That was what I was originally referring to in this thread ;)

Someone voted and it popped back up. The problem with your post is that no one make a similarly tooled Iron block. But if they did then you would be correct if the casting process was a good one.

metaman

Established Member
I don't know shit about the strengths of the blocks. If ford were to design and aluminum block that were as strong as the cast Iron I would pay the difference if price for the 150-200 lb difference.

slick4_6

Established Member
Jpjr said:
Hissman...

I don't know about the Teksids but the cookie cutter aluminum motors in GT's have been blowing at 20-30k miles once supercharged.

Dude, how ignorant can you be?

The block has nothing to do with throwing a rod or breaking a ring land on a piston. Stock internals are notorious for this, but not blocks.

I have never heard of an aluminum block breaking. I have heard of them throwing rods and breaking pistons with the stock crap internals. Put stock 03 cobra rods and pistons in a 96-99 block and the internals are still going to be the week point.

Users who are viewing this thread