Cast iron block vs. Aluminum block

Would you rather have a cast iron block or Aluminum block?

• Cast Iron

Votes: 175 31.9%
  • Aluminum Teksid

Votes: 316 57.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 10.6%

• Total voters

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
OK, you need to go back and read all of the posts..especially the one's that I made.

I know I made the same points as were already posted by others, I just wanted to give you my 2 cents. :)

jonas

Established Member
fiveohhhstang said:
I know I made the same points as were already posted by others, I just wanted to give you my 2 cents. :)

blah blah blah.

my e-penis is bigger than your e-penis

;-)

seriously though. i'm happy this hasnt turned into a flame fest and I learned a thing or 2, even made me do a little research. hats off platnum for getting hard data and not saying stuff like "well joe blow runs an iron block and makes 24978248247 hp"

I'm happy with my iron block but if I had the cash and needed to build a motor

http://www.karkraft.com/bare_blocks.htm Im getting the gt aluminum black

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
jonas said:
blah blah blah.

my e-penis is bigger than your e-penis

;-)

seriously though. i'm happy this hasnt turned into a flame fest and I learned a thing or 2, even made me do a little research. hats off platnum for getting hard data and not saying stuff like "well joe blow runs an iron block and makes 24978248247 hp"

I'm happy with my iron block but if I had the cash and needed to build a motor

http://www.karkraft.com/bare_blocks.htm Im getting the gt aluminum black

:beer:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
"Originally Posted by jonas
blah blah blah.

my e-penis is bigger than your e-penis"

Um- just for the record......I'm a girl ;-)

Last edited:

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
No, forged aluminum block. You won't get 8500 HP out of a standard aluminum one.

Just for the record, this is the first year that cast aluminum blocks were outlawed in the NHRA pro nitro classes. The forged blocks tend to contain the shrapnel created by a missed tune much better than the forged versions. Both are capable of supporting 5,000+ HP, one just handles the containment of flying components much better.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
fiveohhhstang said:

No problem. There are just a lot of people that read the subject line and quickly install there .02 without understanding that the whole conversation needs to be taken into perspective. :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Here's a quote from Motor Trend magizine:

"At first glance, it looks as though SVT simply slapped a supercharger on the old V-8, but there are several vital modifications to support the new muscle. Most important, the aluminum block was swapped for one cast in iron. Testing with the light-alloy block allegedly was disastrous (engineers dodge direct questions about just how bad it was), and the iron block is simply described as a "known quantity." They obviously needed it, so they just had to accept the extra mass"

"engineers dodge direct questions". Horse puckie, I know what happened

BOOM!

..........utt oh, now I've done it.

Last edited:

nasty

Established Member
i know its off topic but where would the sn95 5.0 block fit in as far as power handling? i know newbie question,but just wanted to know?

jonas

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Here's a quote from Motor Trend magizine.

"At first glance, it looks as though SVT simply slapped a supercharger on the old V-8, but there are several vital modifications to support the new muscle. Most important, the aluminum block was swapped for one cast in iron. Testing with the light-alloy block allegedly was disastrous (engineers dodge direct questions about just how bad it was), and the iron block is simply described as a "known quantity." They obviously needed it, so they just had to accept the extra mass. Tougher Manley connecting rods and redesigned pistons also went in. The standard crankshaft was able to handle the power, and thus is carried over."
:rollseyes

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SlowSVT
Here's a quote from Motor Trend magizine.

"At first glance, it looks as though SVT simply slapped a supercharger on the old V-8, but there are several vital modifications to support the new muscle. Most important, the aluminum block was swapped for one cast in iron. Testing with the light-alloy block allegedly was disastrous (engineers dodge direct questions about just how bad it was), and the iron block is simply described as a "known quantity." They obviously needed it, so they just had to accept the extra mass. Tougher Manley connecting rods and redesigned pistons also went in. The standard crankshaft was able to handle the power, and thus is carried over."

That is because they were trying to use a modified version of the WAP aluminum block. If they had the teksid block then it would have been a non-issue, and we would have all had aluminum. But since the contract with Teksid had long since passed...We get iron.

orange04

Established Member
I would like to use an aluminum block that I Have but dont know if it is a Teksid block or not, the number on the side of the block is F6LE-6015-AA. Is there a way to ID this block? Anything else I could look for other than the casting #. Thanks and sorry to go off topic.

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
orange04 said:
I would like to use an aluminum block that I Have but dont know if it is a Teksid block or not, the number on the side of the block is F6LE-6015-AA. Is there a way to ID this block? Anything else I could look for other than the casting #. Thanks and sorry to go off topic.
Any chance you can post a pic of it or send one to [email protected] ? I can't find my book right now that has the part numbers for the Teskid but if I saw a pic I could tell you for sure.

-Mike-

primo

Established Member
Bottom line, if I grenade my 03 block, or decide to go with a big-bore conversion, what do i need to look for on a 96-98 aluminum block. Where can I find one and are there any distinct markings or serial numbers to look for?

Boss 330

Established Member
orange04 said:

That block is a '93-'98 MKVIII/Cobra Teksid block.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
T BAG said:
Bottom line, if I grenade my 03 block, or decide to go with a big-bore conversion, what do i need to look for on a 96-98 aluminum block. Where can I find one and are there any distinct markings or serial numbers to look for?
can someone answer this guys question? i'm curious myself.

Users who are viewing this thread