CCW holster

02Toner

Established Member
With the few gun threads popping up about CCW, I thought it would interesting to see what holsters all you CCW guys/gals use. Also, where do you find said holster most comfortable (3 0'clock, 4 o'clock, appendix.. etc)?

Very curious as this can be almost as hot of a topic as which gun you should actually carry.

Go! :rockon:

96dreamer

Established Member
This is what I look like walking out the door on most normal days.
MV5BMTkyMTM4Njc5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI3ODU5NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have a galco soft tuck that I pack my XDs in. I tried appendix carry but I didn't like it much. I have found that 4-5 o clock is perfect.

I also have a shoulder rig that I pack my full sized pistols in when I am hunting. It is easily hidden under a jacket.

Zatchmo32v

Established Member
Comp-Tac all the way.

I carry my Walther PPS in a Comp-Tac Infidel in the waistband holster in roughly the 4 o'clock position. I highly recommend Comp-Tac for any handgun, they produce great quality Kydex/leather holsters, and my Infidel/PPS combo is light, comfortable, and blends in almost perfectly with my build (6'2" / 215 lbs).

Last edited:

02Toner

Established Member
I'm really looking into the Comp-Tac. Looks like a solid, non-intrusive design.

Anybody use a StealthGear Onyx before? Same hybrid design as a Crossbreed with a more breathable material than the thick leather. Looks like it may be thinner too?

Zatchmo32v

Established Member
I'm really looking into the Comp-Tac. Looks like a solid, non-intrusive design.

Anybody use a StealthGear Onyx before? Same hybrid design as a Crossbreed with a more breathable material than the thick leather. Looks like it may be thinner too?

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've purchased two holsters (Minotaur and Infidel) and a belt from them. I wore the belt for about a week before I decided it was too small and wanted to send it back for a larger one. I spoke to a very polite and knowledgeable woman in Customer Service and they fixed me up without any hassle. We even had a nice conversation about some of their other products and some new models that were coming out.

RCBS is another holster manufacturer I have been wanting to try out. I've heard good things, and they mostly do leather (but not exclusively), if you prefer that.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
n82 tactical and Redeye Tactical are the two companies I use.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
A buddy told me to check out JM Custom Kydex. I haven't yet, but is anybody running one of their iwb holsters?

El_Joker

Established Member
A buddy told me to check out JM Custom Kydex. I haven't yet, but is anybody running one of their iwb holsters?
I am running his AIWB for my Glock 17/19. It is as well made as any other holster makers (RCS). I like appendix carry and it is designed with input to make it functional and comfortable. I am sure his other holsters would be of the same quality as my AIWB.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Galco horsehide iwb at the 4 o'clock for my full size M&P. The horsehide holsters they offer are far nicer than the ones you see in stores.

ZWilson07

Established Member

I am, well at least their AIWB. Expensive but the quality is there and most importantly the owner is absolutely great to deal with. You can literally email him as much as you want with quick turn around times, and he will make or come up with a solution for anything that you are wanting.

Thread wise: was running a S&W Shield 9mm. I like the easier concealability of the single stack but I always had problems with the thin grip and quick reloads. Not really a major concern but with having my S&W M&P 9mm full-size as well, it was clear that I enjoyed the grip of double stack pistols much more when it came down to shooting a lot.

Now running a Glock 26 and 27 in JMCK AIWB holster like mentioned. Don't really think I would switch to any other setup after this except maybe a special case like dress clothes/suit where OWB matching leather is probably the way I would go. Although that isn't really a CCW situation and is pretty rare situation for me.

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
What exactly do some of you mean when you say a belt for the holster? What qualities do you look for in a belt for a holster?
N82 user here.

El_Joker

Established Member
What qualities do you look for in a belt for a holster?
You want a belt that is designed to carry the weight of a pistol. A dress belt is too thin to handle the weight and only makes for trouble in concealing and makes carrying less comfortable.

Two really good leather belts I use are Beltman and Comp-Tac. Comp-Tac comes standard with a piece of kydex between the layers to give extra stiffness, whereas Beltman offers that option but it isn't a must have unless you are carrying a very heavy load, IME.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
What exactly do some of you mean when you say a belt for the holster? What qualities do you look for in a belt for a holster?
N82 user here.
Gun belts are designed to handle the weight and torque a firearm tries to apply to the belt by folding it over. A proper gun belt will hold the firearm tighter to your body without needing to cinch the belt really tight. They also don't give when you draw your firearm. In other words they stay still rather than ride up as you pull out of the holster.

Some belts such as the ones thebeltman.com make are 1 1/2" in the back and taper to look like a dress belt in the front so you can utilize a holster with a 1.5" belt loop with dress pants.

Another benefit is that the handmade belts for firearms are heads and shoulders better than the crap you get at the clothing store. Better leather, better dies, better stitching, etc. If you take care of the leather on the belt it will last a life time and then some. They won't stretch, the die doesn't fade or come off, the leather is tougher. There are non-leather gun belts too.

SHOdown220

Established Member
N82 holsters are some of the best on the market. Hand made here in the US (Lexington north Carolina to be specific). I used to work beside their old building and have talked to most of them more than once. Used to service nate's wife's car all the time. Awesome group of people with an awesome product that they stand behind no questions asked. I use their professional series IWB at 4:00 for both my xdsc40 and full size m&p9

Users who are viewing this thread