Check engine: P1232 please help!

Tha Skinny

Established Member
I'm getting the p1232 primary fuel pump circuit fail on my 96 cobra.
I just replaced the fuel pump last night and no change. The car with act like its falling on its face over 3000rpm when given more than half throttle. The car starts and idles great.

Any info would be much aprreciated

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You need to check the two stage fuel pump relay to make sure it is working. It is somewhere between the PCM and the glove box.

The fuel pump power flows from the fuse box through the fuel pump relay in the CCRM to a big-a$$ resistor in the fender. From the resistor, it goes to the intertial shutoff switch and on the the fuel pump.

At low RPMs, the resistor limits the current (and hence voltage) to the fuel pump, reducing it's output. This cuts the amount of fuel being heated up as it is returned to the tank, reducing the amount of fuel evaporation you get. At high RPMs, more fuel is needed, so the two stage relay shorts out that resistor, delivering full power to the fuel pump. If that relay fails for any reason, you get the DTC and I am pretty sure the PCM cuts spark advance to protect your engine from the resulting lean condition. That is why it falls on its face.

I have never had to find that relay, so I am not exactly sure where it is. If you could take pictures when you find it, it would be helpful to all.

The two stage relay will have R, GY/BK and two LG/Y wires going to it.

The resistor is up in the passenger side fender near the rear of the fender and it has two LG/Y wires running to it.

Users who are viewing this thread