Claybar on my first gen RX7

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
My '84 RX7 has a single stage paint with no clearcoat and the paint is still in really good shape, but it gets oxidized fairly quickly. Normally I get some rubbing compound and waste an entire day trying to get rid of the oxidized paint. I have a claybar now and I'm wondering if it would be safe to use on paint that doesn't have clear. :??:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Claybar is fine to use, but it won't get rid of your oxidation, it will only take contaminants off the surface. If you want to get it to shine, you'll need to claybar, polish, and then seal it so it doesn't oxidize again. You'll be spending a WHILE trying to polish it out by hand.... do you have a buffer (PC7247/rotary), or know someone that does?

I took all the oxidation off of my '93 Toyota pickup in a few hours with a PC7247 and Megs #105/orange pad and Megs #205/white pad, came out looking like new. You shouldn't have any problem getting the same results with a few hours work.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Claybar is fine to use, but it won't get rid of your oxidation, it will only take contaminants off the surface. If you want to get it to shine, you'll need to claybar, polish, and then seal it so it doesn't oxidize again. You'll be spending a WHILE trying to polish it out by hand.... do you have a buffer (PC7247/rotary), or know someone that does?

I took all the oxidation off of my '93 Toyota pickup in a few hours with a PC7247 and Megs #105/orange pad and Megs #205/white pad, came out looking like new. You shouldn't have any problem getting the same results with a few hours work.

I don't have any kind of buffer. I always do it by hand.:bash:

What is a good sealer to use?

Edit: Also, what is a good random orbit polisher to use? Has to be pretty cheap.

This is the result last time I removed the oxidation (by hand mind you) so it does come out pretty good.
02-2.jpg

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Went out and bought a 10" oribital and a 10" foam applicator for it. I have some turtle wax rubbing compound (machine safe) that has worked pretty well in the past. I've never used a machine polisher, can someone link me to a useful page or write a brief how to?

Users who are viewing this thread