Clutch cable

86gt5liter

Established Member
I have used the search and google and didnt really find the exact answer to my question. On the way to work this morning my cable started snapping, its hanging on by a few strands. I have a steeda quadrant but no firewall adjuster, can i use an oem cable with just the steeda quadrant? Currently it has an adjustable cable.

Woody6799

Established Member
Just ordered a new OEM cable yesterday to install with my Fiore quadrant and McLoed firewall adjuster. From what I read its the best cable to use.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yes buy an oem cable. but you will have to buy a firewall adjuster to go with it. from what I've read maximum motorsports sells the oem cable already modified for use with the aftermarket setup. best of luck with it!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Where is cable breaking?

I had just went with heavy duty when changing quadrant.

I got firewall adjuster just never installed it...

86gt5liter

Established Member
So for now since I needed it fixed today, I just got the Ford Racing HD and put it in. It was a bad day, so drove to work and cable started to break. Took off from work at lunch, rented a car for the day drove to the shop I picked up the cable at and came back. Started driving to right down the road where I was going to change it, and it snapped all the way. Finally got it to where I was going, got it in. I pulled around the building and drove up on the curb a bit and punctured my fluidyne heat exchanger. So now I need to take care of that!!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
1. Oil the new cable before putting it in. There are a few videos on Youtube about oiling the cable. It will make it much smoother

2. You need to shim the quadrant on both sides so the cable comes out of the firewall and straight into the groove on the quadrant. Buy a few ½" washers of different thicknesses to shim the quadrant (I went to Ace Hardware and found different ½" washers, so I bought a few of each). I also buff the inner lips of the groove. As manufactured, that inside edge is pretty sharp so if the cable is off to the side a bit, it will ride up high on the quadrant until the tension snaps it into the groove (you will both hear and feel this snap into place). Scrapping against a sharp lip will fray the cable, so it is vital that the quadrant be centered with the cable.

3. Forget the adjustable cable. Get an OEM and a firewall adjuster.

I snapped a cable on an 86GT one time. I was able to drive home without being able to disengage the clutch. To start off, I shut off the engine, and cranked it in gear. Shifting was easy by matching rpm so clutch would slide into neutral, then match rpm to slide into next gear. Not something I would want to do all of the time, but it worked well in an emergency. Now I have AAA so i'd just call them and have it towed home.

Users who are viewing this thread