Clutch pedal pressure

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Why was there such differances in pedal pressure in our cars. When we first checked out the cobra on the lot (first run car) and a used one with 1500 miles the pedal pressure was very high. The wife said she wasnt sure if she would be able to drive it. Then ours came (10th anniv last run car) The pedal was very easy compared to the others on the lot? Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
1st run Cobras had alot stiffer clutches than the 2nd run 03s. The 04s are light just like the 2nd run 03s.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
what did they do ? Is it a differnt clutch or just differnt set up on the linkage

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Im not sure exactly what they did, but I think they went w/ a better clutch.

I dont see the clutch cable and linkage changing that much to make a difference like that, possible though.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
You think if they went to a differnt clutch it would have been posted all over this board.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by WS6JJP
subscribing...TTT

Your car would really look sweet with the 10th rims from ford racing there a lighter silver. Just looking at your car from the angle you took your pic made me think about the photo I have of the ford racing rims with the lighter color.

Didnt mean to hi-jack my own thread

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
My car has the stiff ass clutch and I love it! I have a lot of mods and it still grabs like the first day I bought it. I have 23,000 miles on the clock. I love this car! I did try the clutch on the 04 cobra and it was VERY light in the pedal. I bet it would be nice if I did a lot of traffic driving, but I like the stiff clutch better. Its nice knowing there is a beefy clutch there lol!

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
So whats the deal does mine not have the same grip as yours. I mean the same amount of clamping force? Does anyone know if there was a part # change

Juiced-03

Established Member
I dont know if there is a difference in clamping force, but it has always been my experience with clutches that a stiffer pedal usually means greater clamping?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
THats the way I always thought. But being so new and same car and complaints may be lost sales to women they could have stuck in a better set up with the fulcrum for pedal pressure or the what I wouldn't want, lighter clamping clutch.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Your car would really look sweet with the 10th rims from ford racing there a lighter silver. Just looking at your car from the angle you took your pic made me think about the photo I have of the ford racing rims with the lighter color.

Didnt mean to hi-jack my own thread

WOW!! those are sweet!! i wish you hadnt shown those to me....now i'll be itchin to buy them. I think those would look awesome on my car, the weird thing is i never even knew they made those...same price as the regular ones??

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Im not sure about the price and came across the ad only once. I have been looking in the Ford Racing now and haven't seen them. I would guess they would cost the same. Maybe paint yours at the body shop. Or Gene Evans Ford seem to be the cheapest and Diversified wheel or called somthing like that.

Yes when I seen the silver 10th I just thought it would look nice.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
You think if they went to a differnt clutch it would have been posted all over this board.
Actually it was posted here when the first person got his clutch replaced and saw how much easier it was, but that was a long time ago.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Went threw 85 posts and that was about it a cpl of people thought the clutch was softer no one that had more info.

magnum4000

Established Member
I posted about my clutch before, but here goes:

I have a first run coupe (#289) and the clutch was heavy as sin since day one. I mentioned it to someone at the dealer, and they said it was supposed to be that way. I got mine June 2002. 6 months later I saw a couple of threads where people had their clutch replaced and the pedal effort was much lighter.

I took mine in a couple of months ago and had them check the clutch pedal effort and clutch alignment (self adjusting procedure in the book was not doing anythign). 8k miles on the cobra. They called me the next day and told me they pulled the transmission out, the clutch was bad. They replaced it, and when I picked the car up, I had to learn how to drive it again because the clutch pedal was so light. Night and day difference.

Clutch clamping strength does not depend on pedal effort. The clutch is perfect now, and pulls just as hard as with the superman clutch.

Apparently, Ford fixed the problem with the second run '03s. By the way, the effort was SO much that my clutch pedal cover was wearing off and I had them replace it under warranty also. I think that much effort is going to cause problems along the way, and apparently Ford agreed since the fixed it in the 2nd run and later Cobras.

Good Luck!

:burnout:

cobra101

Established Member
Ok, I also posted my pedal story before (somewhere), but here it goes.

I got my car with 7 miles. The clutch was freaking HARD. very tight pedal. I was also told that it is relatively normal.

I drove it like that for 9,000 miles (TOB started about 6500 miles).

One day I was driving by a gas station and saw a Yellow cobra getting gas. I decided to pull in and check out his car and exhaust sound. He had tiny motorcycle cats welded in and flowmasters. sounded great.

Anyway, before you know I asked him about his clutch (we both had about the same amount of miles). He said I should go in his car and push his pedal for comparison. Wow, his pedal was about 50% softer if not more. I was like "mann, our cars have similiar build dates with similiar mileage, why is his much softer).

As I got out of his car I looked opver and he was coming out from under the dash in my car. I was like what are you doing. Before I could say it he popped out from under the dash and said try it now. He was only under there for like 30 seconds, I did NOT expect any real change.

Turns out I went back into my car and the pedal is AWESOME. Not tight anymore. I said what did you do? he said he pushed in the plastic piece and re-seated/re-adjusted the cable.

Bottom line, I should have had this fixed before this. 9,000 miles was too much on that stiff freaking clutch.

Now, My TOB does NOT squel anymore. Once in awhile it will but for a second or two. If it gets even remotely bad I do the clutch adjustment (pull pedal up) that it reccommends in the manual.

Bottom line, if your clutch is REAL tight, do NOT put up with it. It can be fixed in seconds with the right person. This guy (jeff) was a tech at a lexus dealer and really knew his shit.

good luck to all those with tight clutches!

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Thanks guys. Although I still wondered if the pedal pressure was is related to the clamping force. With my past experience with clutch it can although it comes down to design of the clutch itself.

Does anyone know the manufacture of the factory clutch. Maybe I can contact them and find out if the second run clutch has reduced clamping force to obtain the pedal pressure. That the lighter pressure couldnt be designed into it and get the best of both worlds. I would like to contact them directly rather than believing my ford dealer. Been to many mis info they give as fact. Although I believe it would have shown up to the guys that race.

Users who are viewing this thread