Clutch recommendation for 500hp N/A motor.

TMCCOY

Established Member
Time to replace my clutch and interested to see if there are any personal recommendations. Normally, I would look at an 03/04 clutch or a McLeod. RPM range is a bit higher than stock with peak HP at 7k. 26 spline input.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do the Specs still have a light pedal option? For 500hp I think you'll be fine with a good single disc. How do you use the car?

TMCCOY

Established Member
It's a street car with 295's on the rear FTB IRS with a TruTrac. A light pedal would be great and capability for more in case a blower is decided upon although that is unlikely as it's pretty spicy in NA form.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't have personal experience with Spec, but I knew someone with a bad knee that ran one with the light pedal option and he didn't have any issues with it. That car also ended up with a Whipple on it and it held fine.

I'm a fan of the RXT and really like the one I have. It's just that it's $$$ and way overkill for your set up IMO.

TMCCOY

Established Member
Thank you. I am thinking about the RST version. A bit cheaper than the RXT and may be smoother with 800hp stated limit. Is a 7500rpm shift point okay with the RST/RXT?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you. I am thinking about the RST version. A bit cheaper than the RXT and may be smoother with 800hp stated limit. Is a 7500rpm shift point okay with the RST/RXT?

if i recall the complaint about the RST was that it wasnt too difficult to glaze it and once you do, it's done for

TMCCOY

Established Member
Interesting. The glazing issue sounds like break in or potentially a user issue however, the organic discs are more prone to glazing than ceramic. No doubt there.

What are thoughts on steel vs AL flywheel? I have AL now, but I believe steel will be more stable, consistent, and possible better for the TQ curve especially if the dual disc being smaller is possible lighter than a single disc PP?

Are these clutches okay with 7500rpm shift point?

cobracide

Established Member
Yes - drag launch an RST and it is toast. Stay away. I've also had Aluminum, lightened steel and the reg. Steel flywheel. The Reg. Steel worked best for me.

Badaz01

Established Member
Time to replace my clutch and interested to see if there are any personal recommendations. Normally, I would look at an 03/04 clutch or a McLeod. RPM range is a bit higher than stock with peak HP at 7k. 26 spline input.
I have a ram clutch in mine pushing 525 rear wheel torque. It’s the torque more than the hp levels to worry about. So far 5k miles and no issues.

TMCCOY

Established Member
I have a ram clutch in mine pushing 525 rear wheel torque. It’s the torque more than the hp levels to worry about. So far 5k miles and no issues.
How is the pedal in terms of pressure to accurate the clutch compared to stock?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You could always have your current flywheel resurfaced. Save a few bucks. I'm pretty sure the RXT is the same diameter as the single disc. No real weight savings.

If you have deep pockets you can always look into Mantic.

TMCCOY

Established Member
Just looked up Mantic, looks great but I won't spend that much. The steel flywheel RXT with Ford TO bearing is $1,357 OOD on Summit Racing and the max I would consider. Thinking that's what I'll go with. I like the prospect of a lighter pedal for D2D user comfort even if it is rated well beyond the 5.0's output that is in the engine bay.

TMCCOY

Established Member
Thank you. Although I like the RXT, I am not sure about paying that much for the application. The Ram or McLeod equivalent may be best. Still thinking on it.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Single disc from ProMotion Powertrain has served me well with a regular steel fw. Not as slippable as oem, but nothing like a light switch either. Great balance for a performance street machine. I had to do a few uphill, second gear starts to get the new clutch chatter out of it (per their recommendation), has been no big deal since then. Easier to push than stock also.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
do the rxt once and never worry about it again. I’d rather have too much clutch then to smoke it and have to replace it again

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
really depends on how you are using the car. if you plan on drag racing, clutch dumps or burn outs, then the rst won't hold up, if not tracking then the rst is a great clutch,

let me know if we can help with one

Users who are viewing this thread