Clutch smoke after some hard runs, time to swap soon?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Made a few trips to the local Dodge dealer :xpl: today while working to pick up a coworker in the AM and drop off in the afternoon.

This of course always results in some hard runs on the wide open streets.

Anyways, on the way back, I made a "spirited":D 0-100 run following a 60-110 roll. When I got to the stop sign I obviosuly smelled heated clutch and saw a little bit of smoke exiting the engine bay for a brief second or two.

I imagine this would be from my clutch as there is no crankcase breather on the car.

Does this mean I'm getting ready for a new clutch or does this just happen when I heat it up?

Not feeling and slipping yet..

Thanks!

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Looking at your dyno numbers I'd have to say your're right at the threshold of slipping...Yeah, I'm sure your clutch has some more life left...Time to invest in a quadrant and firewall adjuster from UPR to get the most out of it...That's my advise...You'll know it when it finally gives up the ghost...

-pete:coolman:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I just don't want to get stranded if I rip it apart from keeping it too long.

I'm sure I'll notice a good amount of slipping before I get close to there..

TheRod1976

Blue - The Fastest Color
Established Member
Simple test to see if your clutch is slipping. Block off the front wheels so the car can't move. Put the car in fourth gear and bring the revs to about 2,000 RPM and let the clutch out slowly. If the car stalls, your clutch is not slipping. If the car does not stall, your clutch is slipping and it's time to get a new one. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Thanks I'll try the tips to check for slip. I'm sure I'd feel it driving.

Tored up the stocker real quick after my 98GT got blown, then ripped apart a Centerforce DF (it was defective, I swear) :burnout:

predator

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
why does everyone like the quaderant so very much.

Made a HUGE difference in the way my clutch engages/disengages...and where the engagement occurrs in the pedal travel. It use to engage almost on the floor and would not disengage entirely. When I did a little spirited driving it actually caused it the clutch to heat up so bad I could not shift anymore .... and had to let it sit to cool. I thought I blew the tranny! The quadrant and firewall adjuster eliminated all that. Normal clutch adjustment on the stock assembly did not work. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread