cobra cams install

Krwy

Established Member
are the gears recommended even though I plan to turbo charge?

Why wouldn't they be? You're still gonna want to degree the cams with or without the turbo.

I'm still on the fence about the cam install. I have a set of 96 cams sitting on the floor in the garage. The install is straight forward, I just don't want to mess with degreeing them.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
are the gears recommended even though I plan to turbo charge?
degreeing the cams is important on any combo, FI or n/a. Advancing the intake cams on a turbo combo will result in more preboost power, and quicker spooiling, and more peak power.

I'm still on the fence about the cam install. I have a set of 96 cams sitting on the floor in the garage. The install is straight forward, I just don't want to mess with degreeing them.
Why would you not want to degree them? Why install parts that will boost power but not get the most out of them by not degreeing?

watman02

Established Member
ya with the tune in the car pulls harder than before but I still wish I would have took the time to degree the cams being that they make that much more power and there is that much slop in the timing chaine system. Ill pry do it next summer though.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
degreeing the cams is important on any combo, FI or n/a. Advancing the intake cams on a turbo combo will result in more preboost power, and quicker spooiling, and more peak power.

Why would you not want to degree them? Why install parts that will boost power but not get the most out of them by not degreeing?

i just ordered everything gears and degreeing kit :beer:

Chances50

Established Member
Why wouldn't they be? You're still gonna want to degree the cams with or without the turbo.

You don't have to degree the cams to gain power. Many have installed these cams without degreeing them and gain hp and tq. I put them in mine without degreeing them and I can tell a huge difference in mid range and topend power. These cams quickly become a big investment when you have to buy gears, bolts degree kits and the cams. IMO throw them in strait up see what you gain if your car has decent tq already you'll be ok the people who gain big tq numbers from degreeing are the ones who lacked tq to begin with. Nasvt knows his crap and I'm not trying to discredit him.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Below are three combos with "undegreed", not advanced, cobra intake cams. There is nothing wrong with just aligning the dots as you can see in the graphs. Advancing/degreeing them will bring up midrange hp/tq a lot and increase peak power a little.

Here is a before and after (not degreed, degreed): stock intake and exhaust manifolds. the blue lines show the advanced/degreed power output:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
1800$???? I assume that is degreed after install cus I looked up the labor time on alldata before i did it and it was like 12.xhrs i think but that wouldbe dot to dot.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Now that I think about it,., not that it would be much diff, but they were also installing a clutch while engine was out :shrug:

cobrasvt57

Established Member
Cam setup

Not true at all, you can advance the cobra intake cams to a 106cl before it affects peak hp. The highest hp stock cammed/intake'd combo made 390rwhp with the cams at 106/118. The problem with not degreeing them is that you can end up with one cam at 112 and the other at 119 which absolutely kills power. I can't see doing all this work and not wanting to get the maximum benefit.
Using that 106/118 and using the stock Ported/Polished intake would it keep the same peak power RPM and fatten up the lower and mid? Also using this same 96-98 106/118 combo with 04 P&P Mach1 intake 10-11.1 CPR teksid with Ported 04 heads drivability should be awesome and maybe even a 1K rwhp once my turbos are picked out if i'm lucky.

03svtzak

Established Member
Just did this install. I removed the 4 bolts that hold the whole booster to the firewall and got the valve cover out. A real pain that way. Also you don't need to remove the exhaust side bolt. I just used a flat head on the tensioner had a buddy hold it down slipped the cam out and the 98 one in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread