Cobra Jet Intake manifold CAI Set up interest??

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Yes, we tried to squeeze as much HP as we could...used the 2013 TB, the FRPP Mono blade, and finally the FRPP Dual blade which made the most HP and had no driveabilty issues.

M

Thats wierd because the mono blade should tecnically make the most power. Especially when mated to a larger CAI. My SCJ mono blade has 0 drivability issues. Literally drives/idles like stock.

I keep hearing that lund wont tune the SCJ mono blade. Dont know why. :confused:

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
That sounds about right. But it's definitely not 446rwtq as was said.

Not sure why you're so upset. The car maded what it made.

2ue4pz9.jpg

darreng505

Established Member
Not sure why you're so upset. The car maded what it made.

2ue4pz9.jpg

I'm not upset, but you are making it sound like the CJ intake (alone) adds 50rwtq and it DOES NOT. Your dyno graph is your dyno graph with your mods, tune, etc. But it's next to impossible for the modest upgrade in airflow from the CJ intake to produce that much added torque. That's all I'm saying. I've seen dozens of CJ Intake tune charts over stock and they are all 390-400 rwtq.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I'm not upset, but you are making it sound like the CJ intake (alone) adds 50rwtq and it DOES NOT. Your dyno graph is your dyno graph with your mods, tune, etc. But it's next to impossible for the modest upgrade in airflow from the CJ intake to produce that much added torque. That's all I'm saying. I've seen dozens of CJ Intake tune charts over stock and they are all 390-400 rwtq.

Youve seen dozens of CJ intake charts?

Clipboard

Established Member

The intake alone adds roughly 40 rwhp from the stock IM why can't it add 50 rwtq :D

twistedneck

Established Member
Ford racing CAI is due out in November and its pretty expensive. Based on this thread what CAI should we go with to make the most power, no compromises that can be tuned by AED easily? Crazy that this engine can function on an 1800 cfm tb.

pufferfish

Established Member
I don't want to stir the pot, but I'm kind of with darreng505 on this. I have never seen or heard of anyone but smokegreyhatch achieve over about 410rwtq naturally aspirated on the new 5.0L. The dyno graph is clear, but we all know there are generous dynos and variables that can swing the numbers to the direction desired. As an analytical person, I have to go with the median, not the exception. If the median goes up, smoke's dyno will have less doubt.
Smoke, I am genuinely curious as to how you achieved such phenomenal torque gains at a useful rpm. Torque is what makes these things move and I want more of it!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I don't want to stir the pot, but I'm kind of with darreng505 on this. I have never seen or heard of anyone but smokegreyhatch achieve over about 410rwtq naturally aspirated on the new 5.0L. The dyno graph is clear, but we all know there are generous dynos and variables that can swing the numbers to the direction desired. As an analytical person, I have to go with the median, not the exception. If the median goes up, smoke's dyno will have less doubt.
Smoke, I am genuinely curious as to how you achieved such phenomenal torque gains at a useful rpm. Torque is what makes these things move and I want more of it!

All his runs where back to back. Same dyno same day.

Only difference was switching fuels from 91, E85 then FTW E85. Also I believe be used a true 4.5 inch tester CAI on some runs.

I know for a fact his runs where not minipulated in anyway.

pufferfish

Established Member
The FTW E85 make a lot of sense. With such a broad flat torque curve starting at an obscene 2200rpm, it had to be massive timing or 13:1 compression. Too bad that strategy won't work for me. Road racing doesn't lent itself well to such aggressive timing.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
The FTW E85 make a lot of sense. With such a broad flat torque curve starting at an obscene 2200rpm, it had to be massive timing or 13:1 compression. Too bad that strategy won't work for me. Road racing doesn't lent itself well to such aggressive timing.

The FTW purple E85 is suppose to be amazing stuff. Only downside is the obscene $150 for 5 gallons.

pufferfish

Established Member
WOW! That's stupid expensive!!
I go through 5 gallons of 93 every 20 minute session and E85 with its lower btu output, will be consumed at around 35% more than gasoline. It's the weekend, so I refuse to do math, but a 4 session track day would be ridiculous!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
WOW! That's stupid expensive!!
I go through 5 gallons of 93 every 20 minute session and E85 with its lower btu output, will be consumed at around 35% more than gasoline. It's the weekend, so I refuse to do math, but a 4 session track day would be ridiculous!

Yea I dont ever plan on buying FTW unless that price comes way down.

darreng505

Established Member
The intake alone adds roughly 40 rwhp from the stock IM why can't it add 50 rwtq :D

Others here (like pfish) are way more knowledgeable than me on engines but the answer to your question relates to how airflow afffects hp vs. Tq. Consider that the boss intake makes 20 more hp than the gt at the expense of torque. The CJ intake will have similar tradeoff. Bosspower has the cj intake + headers and has 390rwtq. I have 390rwtq with just the boss intake + headers...for example

As for the 440+ tq in the dynochart. The e85 and ftw fuel is the chief reason. Mystery solved.

Last edited:

pufferfish

Established Member
Adding torque is harder to add than horsepower in these engines. The volumetric efficiency is already over 100% when stock. The CJ intake does not add VE, it imposes that VE at a higher rev range than the gt or boss intakes. So, it moves the peak torque up to allow for higher HP up top. Remember, HP is only a calculation of torque x rpm divided by 5252. Bring the peak torque to a higher rpm and you will have higher HP.

You will never find a high rpm manifold that produces more torque than horsepower. It is also unlikely to see any intake put onto an already super efficient engine make much, if any, more torque. The CJ seems to have done just that, but it's on the order of about 4-10rwtq.

twistedneck

Established Member
Adding torque is harder to add than horsepower in these engines. The volumetric efficiency is already over 100% when stock. The CJ intake does not add VE, it imposes that VE at a higher rev range than the gt or boss intakes. So, it moves the peak torque up to allow for higher HP up top. Remember, HP is only a calculation of torque x rpm divided by 5252. Bring the peak torque to a higher rpm and you will have higher HP.

You will never find a high rpm manifold that produces more torque than horsepower. It is also unlikely to see any intake put onto an already super efficient engine make much, if any, more torque. The CJ seems to have done just that, but it's on the order of about 4-10rwtq.

Very well put. that FTW 85 must put down some power is it equal to C85 from VP?

Yagermeister

Established Member
FTW e85 is basically over oxygenated e85. Same concept as NOS with the extra oxygen. Your tune usually needs to be around 8-10% richer to compensate. Great extra power but at $30 a gallon probably just used for a glory run or two ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

pufferfish

Established Member
FTW e85 is basically over oxygenated e85. Same concept as NOS with the extra oxygen. Your tune usually needs to be around 8-10% richer to compensate. Great extra power but at $30 a gallon probably just used for a glory run or two ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Good to know! so, 8-10% more than standard E85 or gasoline?

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
Fuel the world stuff has more than what people think in it. Id keep it out of my fuel system for sure. Its a giant secret whats in it and why it makes so much more power but we had a customer do an analisys of it at his nuclear plant so we know exactly whats in it down to the T and, i for one wont put it through my car for that reason and for the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread