Cobra Mustang IRS Delrin/UHMW/Alum bushing kit w/adj. sway bar links & bumpsteer kit

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ryan:

Like Jon said, the 14mm bolts are for the front chassis mounts on the sub-frame (cradle). Not the front diff mount. Originally the car came with 12mm bolts and sometimes, in high horsepower scenarios, these can move. The larger bolts take up some of the slack and provide more holding power.

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

matt888

Established Member
I'm one of Bruce's latest VERY satisfied customers :rockon: His kit completely changed my car and I'm addicted to driving it like a crack junky. It turns on a dime and accelerates like a bat outta hell (well, not quite as fast as you damn 03/04 guys, but you get the point ;-) ). Pure sex man. Do it!!!

Thanks again Bruce! Your kit has me imagining what it would be like to install on an IRS put in the rear of one of those cobra kit cars. Dear lord...:bowdown:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
matt888 said:
I'm one of Bruce's latest VERY satisfied customers :rockon: His kit completely changed my car and I'm addicted to driving it like a crack junky. It turns on a dime and accelerates like a bat outta hell (well, not quite as fast as you damn 03/04 guys, but you get the point ;-) ). Pure sex man. Do it!!!

Thanks again Bruce! Your kit has me imagining what it would be like to install on an IRS put in the rear of one of those cobra kit cars. Dear lord...:bowdown:

Matt:

Thank you very much for posting your "testimonial" on the IRS kit Ken and I are selling. :D It is VERY hard to describe what this kit does to a Mustang. Some people can't imagine it's even the same car. It transforms the car THAT much! The general public really has no idea how compromised the factory delivered IRS is until they experience it for themselves.

A couple words of caution: It's a big job that requires a considerable amount of effort and patience. The more tools you have and the better your shop is equipped, the easier the job will be. Bribe a friend to help you too!

This kit will increase your NVH a bit. Some have said it's not bad at all and some have said it's pretty noisy. The front diff mounts (I know I sound like a broken record) are the biggest offender. So it's a very subjective interpretation of how noisy it really is.

Oh, did I mention your wheel hop will be a thing of the past?!?! ;-) :-D

Thanks again Matt for the report!

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
A couple words of caution: It's a big job that requires a considerable amount of effort and patience. The more tools you have and the better your shop is equipped, the easier the job will be. Bribe a friend to help you too!

Yeah, I can testify to this. It took me about 30 hours (~10 hours a day, including breaks/meals) by myself to do this in my garage here at home. Granted I was on the verge of death because of some weird bug that was going around, so that did slow me down a little.

matt888

Established Member
JPIStang said:
Yeah, I can testify to this. It took me about 30 hours (~10 hours a day, including breaks/meals) by myself to do this in my garage here at home. Granted I was on the verge of death because of some weird bug that was going around, so that did slow me down a little.

Dude, that was my story also. About 30 hrs of labor with hand tools doing this the first time. I'm confident that I could cut that in half the second time around.

For those of you going down this route, PM me if you need to install the kit without access to a machine shop or press once it arrives.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Shims with Bruce's aluminum diff bushings

What shim/washwer orientation, top to bottom, has everyone been using to achieve the correct pinion angle with Bruce's aluminum front differential bushings? This is assuming you are using the 03 Cobra front differential brace. I can't find my angle finder (joke in and of itself) and I really need to get the car back on the ground. Guess I'll stop and buy a new one if I have to.

Thanks!

Ike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
WDW MKR said:
What shim/washwer orientation, top to bottom, has everyone been using to achieve the correct pinion angle with Bruce's aluminum front differential bushings? This is assuming you are using the 03 Cobra front differential brace. I can't find my angle finder (joke in and of itself) and I really need to get the car back on the ground. Guess I'll stop and buy a new one if I have to.

Thanks!

Ike

Ike:

All cars are different on the pinion angle. Two different IRS's in my R each require different shimming. You need to get an angle finder. Buy a new one if you have to! Don't cut corners on this. It's an important issue.

I will leave this thread and these posts here for a while but then they will get moved into the IRS Bushing thread in the Market section.

Keep me posted,

Bruce

WDW MKR

Established Member
Thanks, Bruce. Guess I'll go purchase another tool for this job that will probably be lost before the next time I use it!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Got her done! Pinion angle ended up being off by 4-5*, which worked out to move one spacer from the top to the bottom. I now have one spacer on top and four on the bottom.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
WDW MKR said:
Got her done! Pinion angle ended up being off by 4-5*, which worked out to move one spacer from the top to the bottom. I now have one spacer on top and four on the bottom.

Glad you got it sorted out Ike. Pinion angle is important. The faster you go, the more important it is. On the race track we get over 150 mph and you have to have that bad boy nailed down pretty close.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Just to report back on the bushings... I am very happy! The difference is noticable with just spirited street driving. Gear noise is a little louder, but everything is actually quieter. No more loud bangs when going over bumps and dips. I look forward to testing for wheel hop. The entire suspension feels a lot more connected.

Thanks Bruce! :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
JPIStang said:
Doh...didn't think about the rears being A style arms. haha I meant for the front.

Yes, upper and lower control arms on the IRS are A arms.

Sorry I do not plan (at this time) to do a Delrin front lower Ford control arm. Maybe someday!? :shrug:

jking32

Established Member
AC427COBRA,
since you a racer, I have an opinion question. I have an almost stock 03 cobra. I am going to be autocrossing it this year. I ran 3 events last year. The tires that were on the car when I bought it were Fuzion ZR1's. I did OK last year, but slipped around quite a bit. My ultimate plan is to upgrade all the bushings and install H&R race springs and put some Falken RT-615's on. How much of a traction/grip improvement do the bushings provide. I don't have a huge problem with wheel hop, but I suspect that when I put the Falkens on it is going to become a bigger problem. I can't afford to do tires and spring/bushing upgrade at once. If I do the spring/bushing upgrade first will I see a noticeable improvement in traction? Obviously, I am just asking for your opinion as I realize there is no way to really know for sure. I have some cash coming in and am trying to decide where to spend first. I also realize you have a stake in the results of my decision as it is your kit that I want, but will trust you can give me your opinion on which way I should go. I guess I should also say there is still plenty of tire left on the Fuzions.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread