Cobra R's for sale and wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
the only function the sensor has on the trans is that it drops the timing in 5th gear for fuel mileage improvement, Unhook it and you will see your cruise works just as it did before.

It sounds as if this trans. switch is a TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) as was introduced in the mid 1970's?, <<<but this one works with the ECM.

R

Last edited:

Saleenrose

Established Member
On fuel injected cars it uses vss for a dashpot. If car is moving holds up idle.:-D:p

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
On fuel injected cars it uses vss for a dashpot. If car is moving holds up idle.:-D:p

I guess I have a different idea on what a dashpot is. The throttle lever does lay against this and the base curb idle is adjusted against it, but its function is not to hold the idle "up" at a higher level under any condition. This particular example is from a Holley application, but the function would be the same on any application using a dashpot, I assume? This is what I think of when I hear dashpot....................

solenoid4speed1.gif

R

Last edited:

Saleenrose

Established Member
I guess I have a different idea on what a dashpot is. The throttle lever does lay against this and the base curb idle is adjusted against it, but its function is not to hold the idle "up" at a higher level under any condition. This particular example is from a Holley application, but the function would be the same on any application using a dashpot, I assume? This is what I think of when I hear dashpot....................

solenoid4speed1.gif

R
Uses info for computer controlled dashpot, slowly drop idle so engine dont die.

A dashpot slowly drops idle to keep engine from stumbling and stalling.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Uses info for computer controlled dashpot, slowly drop idle so engine dont die.

A dashpot slowly drops idle to keep engine from stumbling and stalling.

Yes, and that is what the item pictured above does, it slows the throttle return so the blades do not slam shut causing the engine to stall/die. That is why I was not sure about the "holds up idle" discription. On this same note, there was a high idle solenoid which also adjusted on the carb. link, it did hold the idle up under certain conditions.

R

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Aaron,

So how does the car know what speed the cruise is set at using just vacuum?

One post you say the 93 Mustang does have a VSS and another post says it doesn't.

I might have the location of the sensor wrong but the 93 and GT have a VSS and it is used to control the speed on the cruise control.

svtguy

Established Member
Information from Alldata.

PURPOSE
The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) signal is used by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to determine vehicle speed.

OPERATION
The VSS produces AC signals proportional to vehicle speed. This signal is sent to the PCM and is converted into a vehicle speed value, stored in RAM memory. The PCM utilizes this value to aid in controlling torque converter lock-up, coolant fan control, vehicle speed control, air/fuel ratio and ignition timing.

Paul.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I am not really sure where we are with this VSS discussion, as to if these cars have VSS or where the VSS switch is located, but adding to what Paul has shown above, here is the factory Ford 1993 Mustang info. related to VSS.................

First picture has information stating that this switch is on the transmission with no manual vs. automatic information..........

Picture1035-5.gif

and then the 1993 Ford Mustang shop manual picture showing VSS in the schematic............

Picture1036-2.gif

Maybe this helps, maybe not.................:shrug:

R

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The electronics on the speed sensor located on the speedo cable, control the cruise function. The non-cruise cars do not have this sensor on them... the speedo cable goes directly into the trans. instead of through the sensor first.

The '93 Cobras do not have cruise, BUT they do have the speed sensor with the electronics on it. The sensor is used for vehicle speed signal for the timing retard at 98mph that is only found on X3Z '93 Cobra ECM.

The big sensor on top/front/left side of the transmission, that was used on earlier fox body mustang, is the neutral safety function from what I remember.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Has anyone actual verified that the timing is retarded at 98 mph? When at the drag strip once I tried runs both with and without the VSS connected and didn't notice any difference. My traps speeds were around 106 so it should have made a difference.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Has anyone actual verified that the timing is retarded at 98 mph? When at the drag strip once I tried runs both with and without the VSS connected and didn't notice any difference. My traps speeds were around 106 so it should have made a difference.

YOU went to a drag strip!?!?!?

:eek::dw::lol1:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
We used to hit up New England Dragway when he lived out here, run both our 93's down the strip.. My best time was a 13.4 at 101 on stock gatorbacks ...

What mods were done to the 93's to get them down in the lower 13's on stock street Gatorbacks?

R

Last edited:

asperformance

Banned
The cruise runs off the Cruse Module, It is above the Drivers side kick panel, Big white box has 2 Big plugs in it, It tells the Cruise controle canister, behind the drivers side fender when to release and apply more vacume, to keep speed the same. To some point I agree about the Sensor on the trans that is parts of the Drive gear. It is part of the system, but not 100% sure how it affects the cruise. How do you thinks all the pre EFI cars had cruise control, they had not PCM to contorl cruise. It was all done by the Cruise control module.

asperformance

Banned
Oh and the Neutral safety switch is Located on the back side of the Clutch pedal assy, not on the trans, the one plug is reverse light switch and other is timing switch.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
What mods were done to the 93's to get them down in the lower 13's on stock street Gatorbacks?

R

Headers, cat back, mufflers, gears, ram air, timing, short belt, just the basics. Oh, and it was a cool Oct. night and I had let the car sit for an hour between runs.. Usually it ran low 13.5's at 99 - 100.

svt2205

Established Member
Gears, exhaust, timing and the short belt helped mine into the same range as Dave's but with a litte more mph 103 or 104, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread