Cobra to gt350

Marvin9075

Established Member
Hey guys looking for some advice and experiences with people that have sold their 03 cobra to purchase a gt350 . I currently have a torch red 03 cobra with 22k on it , 3.0 whipple and full E85 making close to 800 Rwhp. As I enjoy the power of the cobra sometimes I wish I had something with newer technology and comfort. Power adder can always be added later if the gt350 isn’t enough the way it sits but was just curious if anyone has had experience with this switch . Thanks for any help

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No experience here, but moving to a GT-350 will be night and day, tech/feature wise. Like you said, you can always add power if needed. Have you test driven one?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Having never owned a Cobra, I cannot compare, however the GT350's engine can take turbos/supercharger pretty well. It is the clutch/transmission that don't respond well to another 300-500HP. My neighbor has one with a twin snail setup and he's suffered continuous issues with clutch, hard shifting, etc... As CobraBob stated above, the technology, handling, and ride quality are vastly superior in the GT350, IF that's what you want.

LS WUT

Established Member
So I’m all across the board with cars truthfully. I’ve owned damn near everything. While I’ve never owned a GT350. I’ve now driven quite a few because that’s next on my list. As many have said they love high RPM’s, they handle boost well, however not crazy high numbers. The technology is good in them if you get the right package, Apple CarPlay is nice, the clutch is very forgiving in those, the hill assist etc, over all they’re awesome cars. However if you enjoy the cobra because you’re in control and want raw feeling and power then No I wouldn’t switch. If you want a nice cruiser and it’s comfortable with the suede on the steering wheel, seats, etc. (if you get the recaro’s that is) then that’s your car.

LS WUT

Established Member
May I also suggest if you want some power and new technology and comfort you can’t get a RS3 Mustang. I had one, was bad ass.

Attachments

• 2ABA7D4B-BC06-4537-AC2A-2C7E56A7A4A6.jpeg
    2ABA7D4B-BC06-4537-AC2A-2C7E56A7A4A6.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 6005523D-D310-4A2B-BA91-5ADCEBCCF801.jpeg
    6005523D-D310-4A2B-BA91-5ADCEBCCF801.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 105

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The answer is simple… If you enjoy bullying people in the highway and owning something unique and ”sleeperish” that only true car people will appreciate, stick with Cobra.

If you wanna go for a “driver’s car”, something that gives you a FULL driving experience while looking fantastic even to people that know nothing about cars? Then switch over to the three-fiddy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Keep in mind, too, that the '03-'04 Cobra is approaching 20 years old. The GT-350 is 2ish - 7 years old depending on the MY. That said, I agree with @LS WUT that if you love the big power potential and brutishness of the Terminator, you'll miss that with a 2015-2020 GT-350. If it was me in your situation, the answer would be pretty easy. If I had to have my 750+whp, I'd keep my Terminator, regardless of its aging platform and increased maintenance. If I absolutely had to have a more refined road performance Mustang, I'd search for a low mileage 2019 or 2020 GT-350. And I'd keep it pretty much stock except for a complete exhaust, MGW shifter, and a tune. I could easily live with that. I personally wouldn't miss losing those extra ponies for the higher fun factor. But, many WOULD. So decide carefully what you'll be happiest with for the next few years.

LS WUT

Established Member
I know cobras have a cult following, which is easy for me to say because I have 2, and will probably add another just because. However as @ZYBORG said If you want something unique and sleeper for the most part to the non mustang guys the 03/04 cobra is great. If you’re able to maybe keep the cobra and add a GT350? I don’t want to throw the wrench in here however there is plenty of threads stating regret, or trying to find their old car. Just food for thought man, I’m sure you’ll be happy with either choice truthfully. They’re both amazing cars, and have their own characteristics. I’d get a 2019-2020 as well. The older ones had their oil consumption issues, etc.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I know cobras have a cult following, which is easy for me to say because I have 2, and will probably add another just because. However as @ZYBORG said If you want something unique and sleeper for the most part to the non mustang guys the 03/04 cobra is great. If you’re able to maybe keep the cobra and add a GT350? I don’t want to throw the wrench in here however there is plenty of threads stating regret, or trying to find their old car. Just food for thought man, I’m sure you’ll be happy with either choice truthfully. They’re both amazing cars, and have their own characteristics. I’d get a 2019-2020 as well. The older ones had their oil consumption issues, etc.

agreed…. If indeed the 03/04 was an original or low owner car… low miles… no way would I get rid of it… I would just look at adding ….

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
if this itch doesn't go away i'd put a blower on a mach 1, as opposed to the 350, if you just have to have a manual. but never having owned a cobra, i can't really weigh in on that. going from 800hp down to a 350 is going to leave you feeling a little odd though

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's funny you mention the sleeper thing. I've had 3 people think I'm stock so far. That was entertaining.

LS WUT

Established Member
agreed…. If indeed the 03/04 was an original or low owner car… low miles… no way would I get rid of it… I would just look at adding ….
That’s also very true. A modded car does have its ups and downs. Maybe the comfort is gone due to suspension, tires, etc.

efnfast

Established Member
I think you'll regret selling it.

My daily driver for almost 20yrs has been my 04 cobra (250k+ miles and counting) - ported, pullied, intake, exhaust, tune.

Also have a 2014 gt500 - pullied, tb, headers, exhaust, tune.

The 2014 is faster, handles better, more creature comforts, etc. but at the end of the day I like my 04 more - it's simpler and gives a more connected/analogue feeling.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I own a 03 cobra making around 700 rwhp and a basically stock 19 GT 350. The 350 we bought less than a year ago.

Obviously two totally different animals. I've driven the cars back to back. The 350 is definitely a drivers car, and very comfortable. It doesn't feel fast to me at all, which is expected. But the exhaust note and the high revving voodoo makes it a very fun experience. It also brings a lot more attention where I live. Not many people around my area know what a 03-04 cobra is.

You really should try to drive one before you make a decision. I was fortunate to drive my buddies 16 GT 350 years ago.

I'd also look for a 19-20 model year if you decide to purchase. My long term goal is basically leaving it how it is. I have no desire on adding anymore HP to it. It has a Corsa resonator delete and jlt separators.
3533fada0476db18968cadc90c74bf7f.jpg
26844f11d6d83e33918444a5e584fa50.jpg

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That’s also very true. A modded car does have its ups and downs. Maybe the comfort is gone due to suspension, tires, etc.

Yeah, Dan, I mentioned '19 and '20 mainly because of the earlier MY oil consumption issue. I wouldn't want an earlier year for that reason.

I own a 03 cobra making around 700 rwhp and a basically stock 19 GT 350. The 350 we bought less than a year ago.

Obviously two totally different animals. I've driven the cars back to back. The 350 is definitely a drivers car, and very comfortable. It doesn't feel fast to me at all, which is expected. But the exhaust note and the high revving voodoo makes it a very fun experience. It also brings a lot more attention where I live. Not many people around my area know what a 03-04 cobra is.

You really should try to drive one before you make a decision. I was fortunate to drive my buddies 16 GT 350 years ago.

I'd also look for a 19-20 model year if you decide to purchase. My long term goal is basically leaving it how it is. I have no desire on adding anymore HP to it. It has a Corsa resonator delete and jlt separators.
3533fada0476db18968cadc90c74bf7f.jpg
26844f11d6d83e33918444a5e584fa50.jpg

You're certainly one guy who can post your own personal experiences with both since you own both. Your GT-350 is a beaut! Gorgeous car, even thou it isn't as quick as your '03 Cobra (which is expected with your Cobra mods). The sound of that high revving Voodoo would be enough for me. I LOVE the exterior lines on the GT-350, more-so than the GT-500.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, Dan, I mentioned '19 and '20 mainly because of the earlier MY oil consumption issue. I wouldn't want an earlier year for that reason.

You're certainly one guy who can post your own personal experiences with both since you own both. Your GT-350 is a beaut! Gorgeous car, even thou it isn't as quick as your '03 Cobra (which is expected with your Cobra mods). The sound of that high revving Voodoo would be enough for me. I LOVE the exterior lines on the GT-350, more-so than the GT-500.
I generally don't like the looks of newer muscle for some reason, but Ford hit a home run in my eyes on the 350. What it lacks in HP, the handling makes up for it because it's so fun to drive. It feels like it's on rails.

I honestly can see myself driving the 350 more than the cobra. Don't get me wrong, I love my cobra and won't ever sell it. But I generally use my cars for cruising only. So do I need 700 rwhp? No, but it is fun.

Like any modded cars though, it seems endless when having to upgrade parts and such.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Thanks for all the reply’s everyone. I mainly have my cobra just for cruising and feel that I drive it far less than I would like but the times I want to rip in it I remember why I love it . There’s a couple local gt350s at some dealerships so I am going to check them out and take one for a drive. I heard just basic bolt ons really wake the car up especially the E85 tune . I am down in north texas so e85 is fairly easy to find.

Users who are viewing this thread