Considering a 6.4 Need advice!

MATT SS

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for the advice. As you can tell from my sig i had a 2004 F350 which I LOVED, but gave me alot of issues. I really want get into another F350. I am going to look at a 2008 F350 FX4 model, 52039 miles, Crew cab, shot bed, with the 6.4, they want $37,988.I have a few questions.

1. Is that a good price? If not what is?

2. what is the factory warranty on these trucks and is the powertrain warrantly different. The dealer stated 5 years/60000 miles for powertrain.

3. Other than the emmissions issues, another major porblems(tranny,axles,etc)

4. Is there a good shop in my area, NJ to get the emissions deleated?

Thank you again

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Diesel powertrain warranty should be 5yr/100k

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
1. That seems a bit expensive

2. See above

3. Early 08s had radiator issues, but that seems to have been fixed

4. There are some in PA and MD that I know of.

MATT SS

1. That seems a bit expensive

2. See above

3. Early 08s had radiator issues, but that seems to have been fixed

4. There are some in PA and MD that I know of.

Thank you sid, you always seem very informed on the SUPERDUTY. I was going to offer $35000.00. What do u think?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
With incentives I've heard of new left over 2010's going for close to that amount. It all depends on options though. You may want to look into something like that.

wicked90lx

Established Member
all 6.4 had radi issues due to the t-stats. Powertrain warr. is 5 year 100,000 miles. 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper. radi is covered under 3/36 but may be covered under 5/100 if t-stat was cause of concern. (all ways is tho) Deff check the oasis report before buying kinda of a "rule of thumb" for the 6.4 is that if it has had problems (front cover, multi radi, etc.) they will not stop no matter what, usually is they are problem free they seem to stay that way. atleast thats what i see dealing with them all day.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Sounds pretty expensive. Delete the emissions asap and put a decent tune on it. The best bang for your buck would be an afe delete pipe with sct tunes. The afe delete pipe only that connects to your stock exhaust is easy to install. It's two pieces and fits great.

Some other advice would be to run nothing but Motorcraft filters in it for the oil, fuel, transmission etc. It is vital for the fuel system that the filters be changed out every 10k.

I used to not be a believer in cooling sytem filtration set ups but I believe they now make them for the 6.4's like they do the 6.0's. Contaminants in the cooling system can chew away the front cover after it bounces/spins off the water pump and the metal from that usually finds its way into the oil cooler. Once there, the tiny passages in the oil cooler become restricted and eventually the oil cooler ruptures sending oil into the coolant. Ive seen them so bad that they had oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil. This isn't a must do mod but its not too expensive and pays off in the long run. If you were to buy that used truck and put the filtration system on it and cut open the filter after 2k miles, I'll bet you it will be full of sandy, sometimes sludgy crap.

The 6.4s can make some great power, the transmissions are beefy and the brakes seem to last forever (ive seen a few with 100k+ on the original front/rear pads with plenty of life left)

Hope this helps

MATT SS

Thank you all for the great info, but I just ordered a NEW 2011 F350!! Long BED CC DIESEL, FX4 Lariat, NAV leather 20" wheels DUAL ALTERNATORS!! Running lights upfitter switches and heavy service suspention. It's being built and will be in DEC 8th! I cant wait!

Users who are viewing this thread