coolant crossover removal help. ASAP is appreciated.

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
So im trying to get to my IMRCs and the coolant crossover tube does not seem to want to come out, it appears there is nothing holding it into the heads but i don't know if i just have to use some muscle and yank them out? Im not trying to hurt anything, the coolant temp sensor is unplugged, i don't have to actually take the sensor out do it? Wouldn't really make much sense doesn't appear that has anything to do with holding it in. So do i just yank it out or what? The smaller bracket it is attached to above the alternator has been loosened up coolant has been drained. upper intake is off. Help please!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
as long as u see no bolts and the sensors are unplugged..take a crowbar and just pry up...they are stuck in there good

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
It's been a long time since I have looked at it but don't the mounting tabs for the coolant cross-over go under the bracket above the alternator?

A set of nuts come off the studs, the bracket comes up and off the studs, then another taller set of nuts comes off the studs and then you can pull the coolant cross-over up and off. I think? Don't quote me...

Last edited:

cmr98cobra

Established Member
It's been a long time since I have looked at it but don't the mounting tabs for the coolant cross-over go under the bracket above the alternator?

A set of nuts come off the studs, the bracket comes up and off the studs, then another taller set of nuts comes off the studs and then you can pull the coolant cross-over up and off. I think? Don't quote me...

He's right. It just takes some time and muscle but it will come out. Not trying to scare you but don't f***-up the tube, because you can not get it from ford or anyone else for that matter. except e-bay. Just pry a little on the right then left and it should come off. And you're going to need to get new o-rings. good luck.

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
Ok thanks fellas, i just didn't wanna **** anything up by just yanking on it.
I can continue. Very much appreciated, i'll have pics up later of my journey lol.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Here's what we did. After struggling with it for about 10 minutes (already knew it was gonna be a bitch).

That's my buddy Alex. (Eastcoast5.0 on here).
Kinda wish we took a second pic of him on his back and feet in the air, still clenching the pipe.

DSCN8927.gif

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Lol I used some penetrating oil and no problems!

I'll second the new o-rings comment!! I made that mistake the first time and will never make it again!!

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
lol i used a prybar and some cardboard on the valve cover so i didn't scratch it, my coolant tube looks rough though ima paint it.

IMRCday023.jpg

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
penetrating oil, and a 1 inch by 3/4 rectangle shaped piece of wood so it was softer than the metal and then pryed it out with leverage from other parts of the car.

I started on the left than moved to the right and went back and forth to get it out a little at a time

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Check your coolant temperature gauge sender to see if it has a two pin connector or just the one threaded stud. If it has the one threaded stud as mine does, then if you paint or powder coat it, you will need to scrape some off to give it a good electrical ground to the engine or your temperature gauge will not work right.

goat-ee

Established Member
As I recall I found a long 2" x 4" and pryed side to side and used penetrating oil. Leverage is your friend, just be careful as has been said by others, as a replacement isn't real easy to come by.

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
yeah i got it guys the pic of the prybar + cardboard is it coming off.

Thanks a lot and mwolson i'll keep that in mind thanks for that and the PM :).

Users who are viewing this thread